Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Making vest fit better
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
My mother told me this vest I made for her is too big. It looks fine to me, but she wants a tighter fit. It's knit in Plymouth Encore (75% acrylic, 25% wool), and I don't think I want to try to shrink it (or if it would work). Is there anything (attractive) I can do with the front to give the vest a snugger fit? Or would it be a good idea to attach two ties to the sides to tie in back?

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  1:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
My, that's lovely! How about sewing a couple of decorative buttons on the back, a couple of inches from each side of the center, and knit a short rectangle with buttonholes at either end that would sort of cinch in the back a little? It would look like a design feature, not a workaround.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  1:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Shrinking Encore won't work.

You might try steeking the seems - shoulders and sides, depending on where she wants the fit taken in. Sew up the sides (on the inside) like you're making a seem and then cut away the excess fabric.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Good idea Lissa. Where does your mother think it is too big because it look fine in the photo?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  1:48:56 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
She says it's too floppy in front. She first thought she would try adding more pewter clasps to the front, but then thought that wouldn't work. I can mention the little rectangle in the back idea, which sounds attractive. I'll also ask, since she's an excellent seamstress and has tailored many large suits and dresses to fit, if she feels comfortable doing steeks. Maybe she is willing to widen her knitting horizons a bit to try them! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  5:59:41 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Well, I just got off the phone with my mother, who likes the rectangle idea the best, so I'll start knitting a small rectangle with two buttonholes. I'll buy two pretty buttons to use. The thought of cutting the vest made her balk.

She said she'd tried on the vest over a turtleneck, and it was better. With your method, Lissa, she'll be able to wear it over lighter clothes with the piece buttoned on, and over heavier clothes without it. Cross your fingers...
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  10:04:01 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
It looks like it fits to me. Perhaps what she is saying is that she prefers a fitted vest rather than a straight one. In that case, you can add darts just like you would in any fabric, but I do recommend that they be sewn by hand. That way, if she still doesn't like them, they can be removed without damaging the knitting.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I just saw my mother in this vest when we met for lunch today. Instead of going with the knitted rectangular and button idea, she had taken the initiative to sew a long clasp on the back, that matched the one in front, to bring the two sides together so the vest wouldn't hang loosely. She had also sewn one of those little, "invisible" hooks below the front clasp to keep the sides together more in front. It curves into her back a bit now, and it does fit better. She told me she gets tons of compliments. I'll post a picture when I can, to show how she did it. It really does look better now.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  1:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Glad that worked out!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000