Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Lingering Mustiness??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
I got some yarn at Webs last year on a cone from the warehouse. It's beautiful - a dusty blue, perfect gauge for what I needed, and the cone price couldn't be beat. I wound it into skeins from the cone as it still had a bit of the oil on it, did the Euclean soak for 10 min or so, and hung it to dry. It is really soft now, but I am detecting a faint musty odor....I have since tried a vinegar rinse and a re-soaking in dishwashing liquid. No luck. I also tried (on one skein) a light spray of Febreeze. Ick. Now it just smells like musty Febreeze!

I'm at the point of desperation now - the project the yarn is for is coming up in the queue very quickly - and since I need so much yarn for this cabled sweater (1500 or so yards) I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas I could try!

Thanks

My Blog:On And Off the Needles

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Try putting it a black plastic bag and setting it out in the sun all day (on a sunny day, of course). I've seen several posts elsewhere that this works well. The mustiness is mold, and the heat that builds up in a black plastic bag kills it. Do NOT try to kill it with bleach - your yarn will disintegrate!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  12:05:45 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Do you folks have the equivalent of Milton over there? It`s sterilising liquid for sterilising baby bottles and such. Yes, it`s a sort of bleach, but you can use it on clothes in the correct dilution and for the correct amount of time, and it won`t affect the strength of the yarn or the colour. Just rinse really well.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  05:26:39 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Have you tried actually soaking the yarn in Febreeze?

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

MoonKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile Send MoonKnitter a Private Message
Perhaps you could try putting the yarn in the freezer? I have done this with some books that were musty from my Mom's basement. I put them in ziplocks first, then they spent about a week in the freezer. The were definitely better after their time out in the freezer. :-)

Another product that we use all the time in my house is Odo-ban. I've only purchased this in Sam's Club, so I'm not sure where else it can be purchased. It's truly wonderful for eliminating odors, not covering them up. I've never used Febreeze, so I don't know how they compare. Odo-ban is very versatile, so it won't go to waste. It can be used as a fabric softener (my favorite use) or a cleaning product. http://www.odoban.com/

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Thanks! If we EVER get sun, I'll try that trick -

I did soak in Febreeze also, just stunk more like musty Febreeze than just spraying it!

Freezer - interesting - may try that until we get some sun!

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:15:54 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I cna't believe I forgot this classic costumers trick:

Pour vodka in a spray bottle. Spray on smelly item and leave in an airy place overnight. My costumer friends swear by this. I use it for my non-washable hockey jersey and it still smells sparkle fresh!

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  10:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
full strength vodka? If it makes a hockey jersey fresh, I'll be trying this!!!!

Go to Top of Page

dancingbarefoot
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  9:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancingbarefoot's Homepage Send dancingbarefoot a Private Message
Two things:

1) pack some wadded-up newspaper around it (not touching it, 'cause you don't want the ink on the paper to rub on the yarn).

2) set a cup or so of coffee beans in an air-tight container with the yarn.

Both of these methods will absorb funky odors.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  09:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
just make sure to get cheap vodka, don't waste the good stuff

and yes, vodka does work very well, as Mokey said, costumers/dressers/wardrobe people at theatres use it all the time, and believe me, actors can work up a sweat onstage!

You know, my telepathy would work if I had something to READ!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Do you really need to soak it with the vodka? I tried it last night and still musty......

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  1:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Are you able to hang them outside all day? I would do this every day letting the fresh air do it's thing. Perhaps washing it again first.

Baking soda is really good at absorbing odours - could it be added to the rinse or perhaps sprinkled through the dry skeins before hanging outside?

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  04:07:46 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Musty odors usually come from a mold spore- my son taught us the freezer trick when his aunt, who has a terrible foot odor problem was complaining about throwing out shoes in perfectly good shape, but just too stinky to wear. He said a couple of days in a zip bag in the freezer kills the mold causing the odor. We've had a few good laughs at her house when someone discovers shoes in the freezer!

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  4:37:46 PM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message
I've tried this with some success. Place a few drops of essential oil of lavender or tea tree on a piece of absorbent cotton fabric. I use pieces of an old washcloth. Roll the fabric up so that the essential oil is on the inside. Seal this with the yarn in a plastic bag and leave it for a few weeks. The musty smell should be gone, but your yarn will smell strongly of whichever oil you used. Use the one you like better!

Since tea tree and lavender both have anti-fungal properties, this may be why it has worked for me. I didn't realize until I read this thread that it's actually mold spores that cause the problem.

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?