Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Spin The Weaver's Song
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

barefeetslp
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  7:59:24 PM  Show Profile Send barefeetslp a Private Message
I don't know where this should be posted, so I guess it belongs here.
If you like folk/international music, I highly reccommend Carla Sciaky's recording Spin The Weaver's Song. She is a multi-instrumentalist who has collected all sorts of songs and tunes about spinning, weaving,and sheep-shearing from all over the world. This came out several years ago, but I've seen it in a knitting or yarn catalog recently 'though I don't remember where. Nonetheless, it's a great recording and I thought I'd share it with you all.
Happy Knitting
Barefeet

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  11:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Thanks, Barefeet! There is a CD out by a quilter, so one for weavers, knitters and spinners shouldn't be a surprise. Is it folksongs? I know I'd like that!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

barefeetslp
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  11:24:11 AM  Show Profile Send barefeetslp a Private Message
Yes, it is folk music. Some pieces about sheep-shearing in bothe England and Australia. A Native American poem/prayer. Some Eastern European pieces. A song in German and English called 'Spin , spin my dearest daughter'. Some South American tunes. A Really Good Recording!
Speaking of Australia: Martyn Wyndham-Reed has a nice CD with a lot of Sheep-Shearing songs on it. I'll lokk it up and get back to you with the title if you like.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  1:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Sure...then I can look for the two CDs at the same time.

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

barefeetslp
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  12:40:03 PM  Show Profile Send barefeetslp a Private Message
The Martyn Windham-Reed CD is called Undiscovered Australia. I think that it's a re-release/compilation of two of his earlier recordings. Both it and the Carla Sciaky recording I've had for a few years. Try Amazon or Tower Records.
By the way, regarding The Songcatcher: the book and the movie are NOT related. However, I just watched the movie (rented it through NETFLIX) and it is VERY good. It's about a woman in the earlier 1900s who goes to Appalachia to visit her sister and discovers and subsequently begins to collect old ballads. The music is fantastic!!!
(I knew that, having been given the soundtrack, but it's even better in the movie)

Happy Knitting!!
barefeet

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  4:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi Barefeet!

I thought that movie was so good, too! (I love Aidan Quinn ... added bonus ).

This CD you describe sounds so great ... I'll have to look it up, too! Thanks for the recommendation!

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

check out my knitting: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

barefeetslp
Chatty Knitter

199 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  2:27:44 PM  Show Profile Send barefeetslp a Private Message
I got my husband to watch it 'cause he's an Iris Dement fan. He really liked the movie even 'though Iris was only in one scene!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe