Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Nightmares...Literally
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Last night I tossed and turned (I have a cold) and dreamed terrible knitting dreams. Has this happened to anyone else? Just before bed, I began the sleeves, both at the same time, and I guess I was a little worried about getting the two balls of yarn all tangled up because I dreamed (not once, but many times throughout the long, long night!) of tangled, irretrievably messed up sleeves.

I have never been haunted by knitting before. My husband says it means I have become too obsessed with knitting.

Could that be true?

Carin

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I've never had nightmares about knitting. I have nightmares that someone has taken my child or the most recent one was that I could not find my classroom once getting back from the snowdays.

Nightmares are the way you deal with anxiety while asleep. Your brain is just firing off images, replaying sounds, in an effort to file them somewhere for the future. Dreams do not foretell the future. You're okay!

Rebecca

"Bo ram u; to your herd be true."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I dream about knitting all the time - the more so when I am working out the math of something. I rather enjoy these dreams though they are not relaxing at all. I usually have them just before waking and once in a while i wake up with a solution. More frequently I am just watching a complicated pattern either fade or appear.

I have also had many nightmares about being exposed, lost, chased, or one of the other "i'm in trouble situations" but that are caused by worry over something to do with knitting - either teaching a class or taking a class or something that involves the rest of the world. I have to admit - they are sort of funny when I wake up because it's so obvious what I'm worried about.

I hope you got your worries out during your sleep and can have fun with your 2 sleeves while you are awake.

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  10:00:03 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Sometimes medications, even over the counter ones, can cause disturbed sleep, so you might see if you can blame it on that! We all know it isn't the knitting!

Hope you feel better soon - and sleep better, too.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  1:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I confess that I don't recall ever dreaming about knitting, for good or bad. Whenever I dream, I seem to be in charge of and/or organizing something! What does that tell ya?!

-- "Bossy" Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
I had a very weird terrorist/knitting dream. I had a dream that there was some sort of biochemical attack and we had to tape up all the windows and everything. Then it was all over and everyone was fine but I couldnt use my yarn any more bc it had the biochemical element in it. Then I sort of halfway woke up and I thought for a few moments "OMG, I need to put all my yarn in plastic bags so that if something happens Ill still be able to use it!!"

No, Im not knitting obsesed at all....

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Wow, that's an intense dream. It's no wonder, since everywhere you go, people are talking about bottled water and duct tape.

I feel better, knowing I'm not the only one with knitting on the subconscious.

And thanks to all for your reassurances!

Carin

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  7:16:44 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
My knitting nightmares usually involve a lost needle--one that I can see but can't get. It just keeps slipping away. When you take into consideration that I usually knit with a circular needle this really doesn't make much sense but then dreams usually don't. Don't let it discourage you from knitting both sleeves at the same time though as once you get into that I know that you will like it. Have you ever started a sweater by making the sleeves first and going on from there with the body? Try it some time. You will find that when you get the body done and the sleeves are there waiting for you to set in. What a time saver this is or at least it appears that way. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  9:02:37 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
What a great idea to do the sleeves first, Bev. I had a friend tell me recently that she likes to do the sleeves in between doing the front and the back...similar sense of satisfaction, I guess. I know I would have loved to have those sleeves ready when I finished the front of this sweater! I'd be sewing the darn thing together already!

Carin

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  9:37:15 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
There is an Aran baby bunting that I make and while it is very easy it has all these bits and pieces--you know, sleeves, mittens, a cord that has pom poms that goes through the hood--more stuff than you can shake a stick at. The instructions have you do all that at the end and I did that the first time I made it--not so since. Of course I don't made the back and then each front separately any more either. It all goes on a circular and is made up to the point where you start binding off for a place for the sleeves, whatever. I get all that junk done and when the body is finished I am ready to start joining things. I have revamped this pattern so much that I don't think I have knit it as the pattern says for years. I don't know why they make it so difficult when you could do this at the start instead of the end. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:47:25 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Marg, you and I must be kindred souls.... A roommate in college told me I once sat up in bed and (still asleep) said "I don't give a (bleep) what you say, we're going to do this my way!" then I apparently lay back down as though nothing had happened. (I will tell you a secret though -- I am a bit bossy awake too

karen (by the way the high here in da UP was 0 today and the low tonight is supposed to be -17)
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  9:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Marg, you and I must be kindred souls.... (by the way the high here in da UP was 0 today and the low tonight is supposed to be -17)

Karen,

Maybe we really are Soul Sisters...or maybe it's just living in northern climes! Ya gotta be no-nonsense to keep warm!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  10:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Don't think the climes have anything to do with it. Its just US. Knitters just want to do their own thing and if that means something other than knitting GO FOR IT. Why not. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  05:39:54 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
I have actually figured knitting problems out while sleeping. I would put something down, because I was having a problem, say to myself, "I'll come back to it in the morning." When I wake up, I have the answer to my problem. Now this doesn't always happen, but it has happened a few times. It's very weird how our brains work.
I have the dream that I can't find my class and I need one more to graduate. I graduated college in 1982....... I also have (frequently I might add) that I started smoking again (I quit in Dec. 1988). Lately the smoking dream has intensified by my dream actually had me saying "I thought this was a dream, but I really am smoking"
I was told that the school dream, is because we subconsciously believe that we are being judged by someone and we are not passing muster. The smoking dream, I don't even crave cigarettes when someone around me is smoking, as a matter of fact, I can't stand the smell of it now.
Elisa

"Happiness is not the destination, but the road traveled."
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
My version of that school dream is that I :
a) can't find the building where the big test is being given
b) finally find the building only to realize I never did any of the work all semester and have no idea what is on the test
c) can't find my way home after the test.

My husband, by the way, has only happy dreams and thinks I am a real weirdo.

Last night I dreamed I caused blizzards and avalanches, kind of like Stephen King's FIRESTARTER only with snow.

Maybe I am a weirdo. At least I didn't dream about my blasted sleeves.

Carin

Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  12:14:57 PM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
Elisa, I quit smoking in Dec 83 and still smoke in my dreams! And usually I suddenly realize I'm smoking and it freaks me out because quitting was sooooooo hard! In fact, writing this I'm sure I dreamed it last night. Usually I think, oh, if I'm smoking this must be a dream, but I've had the same thing as you, thinking it's not a dream (in my dream)! What do you think that's all about?

Frances
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I have never in eight years of knitting had a knitting nightmare - untli reading this thread!!! I have had bad knitting dreams at least ever night since! I'm tangled up in yarn, or can't find the yarn I know I bought - last nights was about trying to make a scarf out of some eyelash stuff I bought on Elann at Xmas - I did make a pink scarf for a friend's little girl, and plan to make myself one too. In my dream, the pink scarf was coming to life out of my knitting bag and grabbing me as I tried to work on its new sibling in green. What the heck does that mean? That scarf isn't even in my house anymore!

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
My knitting nightmare: I dreamed that knitting was considered a compulsion, like binge eating. Everyone knew it but me, and they all said I had to try to change my behavior! I woke up saying "It's just a dream, it's just a dream!" I had this dream because I really am changing the way I eat, and knitting has replaced snacking!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  5:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Can't say that I have been having knitting dreams, because they have been spinning dreams....the awful part is that I can't tell where the dream ends and I am having wide awake thoughts. This morning was a good example.....Russian Spindles.....

Yes, I am strange.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe