Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 A new year, a new place
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  3:09:30 PM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
I flew from Milwaukee to San Jose about ten days ago and, as promised in another forum here, there was no problem with bringing my knitting. No one blinked an eye as my backpack went through the Xray machine, even on the return trip when I was using metal-tipped circulars. I was away from home for nine days, much too long for me, training groups all day, doing presentations, and at night using a borrowed laptop to grade papers and make grades for my college classes. I don't know what I would have done without my knitting!

As I was flying home, working on a red cotton hobo bag (into which I'm knitting periodic stockinette rows so that I can crochet other colors onto the bag there), I was thinking about the fact that now, after living in my new home for 16 months, I can just about face unpacking some of the other boxes. And a lot of those boxes are full of yarn. This may be the only time I've had all my stash in (relatively) one place. And I was reflecting on the fact that most of my knitting is for charity--the Linus Project. But there are people who are really cold--in parts of the world that have been pummeled by war and famine and hardship (like Afghanistan) and close at home in my own community. So when I got home, I pulled out a number of simple afghan patterns that either were written to be knitted with two strands of yarn or could be adapted, and that could be made in sizes large enough to cover a man who might be lying down on the cold ground somewhere, with a child tucked in close to him. Or a mother, who needs a big enough blanket to protect her children and herself.

I have made a few things for myself recently; perhaps that feeling of plenitude prompted the desire to share some of my wealth. I have very little money and not much time, but I have a big stash and I know how to use little pieces of time advantageously. There is a feeling of contentment and rightness about the decision to spread out all my stash boxes in the finished part of the basement, which we don't use, and pick out colors that would look good and reflect the love I put into my knitting.

I'll knit for the Linus Project again. There will always be children who are hurt, or ill, or living in homeless shelters, or frightened, and blankies help them. But for now, as I sit in the comfort of my warm house and hear the cold wind blustering outside, I am thinking of those whose home is gone.

Sorry for the length of this post . . .

sedgwick

Anahita
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anahita's Homepage Send Anahita a Private Message
sedgwick -

Thank you for your post! I too find myself worrying about the people of Afghanistan and elsewhere, but unlike you I haven't done anything about it. I have a large stash - although most of it is just one or two balls - and I could surely make something useful. I must try to spend some of my time knitting for those who really need it!

Anne

Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:59:10 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Sedgwick,

I was looking at the section of KR Forum last week to find some charity groups to donate knitted items to... does the Linus Project have a website where I could go and look at what they are all about? I just can't bring myself to knit dog blankets (which is about all that one of those websites had to do). Don't get me wrong I love dogs and would donate used people blankets to a dog pound but if I am gonna knit a blanket or something it is gonna be for a homeless or otherwise in need person!

So if you can give me some help finding out more about the Linus Project I would appreciate it!
karen
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  9:55:40 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
I have a bunch of extra yarn in my stash I got off ebay for cheap that I plan on knitting into a bunch of afghans, I am sure it will take me years since I am so slow - but it will be fun :) My boyfriend keeps looking at it and asking if I will ever use it. I told him to wait and see!:)

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]

KnitFemme:
http://moonglitter.net/knitfemme/ http://moonglitter.net/luster/ Luster Soapwork - Natural bath and beauty products made by me!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  10:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I've got both a quilt and an afghan (a series of 8" squares in various stitches in "Aran"-type orlon in this case) on the go for Keep Canada Warm. I found them through http://www.keepcanadawarm.com...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:13:34 PM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
It seems that a lot of us here spend some of our time and love (and stash) knitting for others. I think that's great.

Freckles, you can go to http://www.projectlinus.org/ and find out how to be a blanketeer. There is an extensive list of chapters, including the England affiliate, and a description of how to start your own chapter, if you wanted to do that.

Project Linus went through a major reorganisation a few years back and now, as I understand, is strong and well-organised. I think they suffered from an embarrassment of riches--so many people wanting to donate. I know that my friend who is the Project Linus chapter leader routinely picks up 100+ blankets at every gathering. In less than 18 months' time our tiny central PA chapter had donated--and she had placed--1000 blankies!

sedgwick
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  6:45:36 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Thanks sedgwick... turns out there is a local chapter not that far away! I sent a message to the chapter contact to find out what size afghans would be most helpful.

karen
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  05:40:59 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
The linus project sounds like a good service opportunity for school or church groups. Thanks for mentioning them.

Rebecca

"Bo ram u; to your herd be true."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.