Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 magic loop?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
What do you use magic loop for? what is so magic about it? what does it do? I keep hearing it praised and i want to know what it is and if I should learn it (and for what projects...)

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
Magic loop is a way to make small diameter knitted things without using dpns. Here is a link to see what it's like.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/adv-tech/magic-loop-knitting-rds.mpg

Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:29:40 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I think most people use them for socks. But you could use them for cuffs or hats as well. I've just learned the technique myself. I've hear people say that once you start using it, you don't have to worry about having circs or dpns in every size.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I use ml for socks and just used it for a mitten pattern as well. I prefer it to two circs or dpns because I think it's more portable. You don't have the points of the dpns, or the dangliness of the two circs. I learned it from the link that knitswithcolors posted.

You know, my telepathy would work if I had something to READ!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  06:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
I've started using it on some of the production knitting I've been doing (sleeves knit down from the armhole). It seems to be much faster for me than using dpns. a very small circular, or two circulars.

http://www.kidknits.biz
Go to Top of Page

joseyknit
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  12:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send joseyknit a Private Message
Wow, that IS very interesting. There's a lot more to knitting than I ever dreamed.

Josey
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  1:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
Ok, Color me amazed!! That video was wonderful (I've used that site to learn a few other techniques, she does great instructions). I'm using this technique for my next sock!!! That is so cool!

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe