Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Another cotton dyeing question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  9:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
Ok, so I have two very slightly different shades of Patons Cotton Top. Its 100% cotton. The two skeins are ALMOST the same beige color but not QUTE. If you put strands next to each other you can just tell theyre different (of course I WAS looking at them harder than the average person would in passing so I doubt most people would be able to tell.). My question is, would it be possible to dye them so they turn the exact same color? I also have a skein of white. Could that be dyed the same color or would that just be too hard (I suspect it would)
Thanks in advance!
-Susan

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  11:25:37 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Hm... Depends on a lot of factors, but the color you're trying to dye these yarns is probably the key. If you were trying to dye them all the same, vivid, darkish color, you'd probably get the same vivid, darkish color in all of them. If you're going for a more muted color, or very light, it's more likely you'd get different shades. That's my guess, anyway. And since hand dying often results in slightly streaky colors, it's likely that your yarns will not be identical in color.

Try it anyway, though. You may get that perfect match, and if you don't, you can fake it! What I do when I have close-enough-for-government-work results is knit one or two rows with one skein, then switch to the next and knit another couple of rows. That way, there's not a distinct line where the color changes.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  05:44:58 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
From my experience with cotton, I think the white skein will turn out lighter than the other two that are similar in color. Cotton does not take up the dye very well. You may want to do multiple dye baths for a uniform color, or try handpainting all of them in 2 or 3 colors. When you knit the yarn switch back and forth between skeins to blend the colors.

Rebecca

"Bo ram u; to your herd be true."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.