Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Anyone have "Latvian Mittens"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pwoods
Chatty Knitter

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  9:41:07 PM  Show Profile Send pwoods a Private Message
How are the patterns in this book? Are they well written? Charted? Are there lots of patterns in it? What is your opinion of this book?

I've recently purchased "Magnificent Mittens" and have fallen in love with the gorgeous patterns. I'm knitting my first pair (the ones on the cover) and am surprised at how quickly they're going and after a fiddly time getting started am finding them not at all difficult.

So, now, I'm curious about the Latvian Mitten book and what's in it. I believe Schoolhouse Press publishes this book, so will order from them if reviews from here are good.

thanks
Pat in Kansas

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  07:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Last year Stephanie AKA the Yarn Harlot(ww.yarnharlot.ca) was obsessed with with Latvian mittens and I think that was her favorite book. I believe it has a ton of charts and quite a few patterns too. If you look in Stephs archives from last winter she talks about that book and latvian mittens almost every day.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  08:12:19 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
I have both books. The Latvian Mittens book does have really nice patterns (charts really) in it. It has the English translation on one side of the page in a column & the Latvian in the right column. It's not all worked out & presented as "use this chart to make this mitten". Magnificent Mittens presents it more as a finished pattern. There are a couple of "finished" patterns & plenty of information for you to be able to make one. It also has historical information about them.

Latvian Mittens has lots of beautiful color pictures of real Latvian mittins. They are also knitted at a really tight gauge. About 10 sts/inch.

I have made mittens from Magnificent Mittens. The Latvian mitten I made was from the book Folk Mittens. I finished the Magnificent Mittens one really quickly. The Latvian one was a major project because of how tight the gauge was. It was well worth the effort though.

If you are able to make one from Magnificent Mittens, all it take is a bit more patience & the willingness to work with finer yarn worked really tightly.

I think it's a good purchase!

KS
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I have the original publication and enjoy it very much. My heritage is Lithuanian, a country right next door to Latvia, so the patterns and designs and traditions are very much the same. The Cultural section at the front is great, especially about wedding mittens. I made a pair of gorgeous mittens for my husband as a wedding gift. There are even instructions for miniature lapel pin mittens in the book. I like that the book has songs thorughout it, they are important in my culture as well. There are a few patterns written out in full, and then a whole pile of black and white charts for other. Plus there is a general techniques section, so that you can learn each technique. The variations for edgings are the best part. And there are colour photos of mitts from museums and private collections.
I've probably made about five patterns from the charts, and they went as gifts!
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  7:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I want this book so bad I can taste it
and I want that set of fair isle yarns from knitpicks to go with
this and a parian doll I am hoping are my winter projects
but who knows

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  05:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I also have the original book, published in 1981. I started the mittens from chapter 6, this year, got one done except for the thumb. Now it sits! Oh well, they will be for me and I can wait to finish them, since I have Christmas gifts I'm working on!

I also have Folk Mittens by Marcia Lewandowski. I must really be loosing it, as I don't even remember buying this particular book!

Finally, just this last week, I got a second bookcase for my knitting books! Now I can see what I have and find what I want. I can also see that I really don't NEED anymore books [:00] but that doesn't mean I won't be buying more. there are two sock books I seem to want . . . [:00]

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  06:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
Sharon darlink...
I was thinking of getting a bookcase just for my knitting books.....( where does it end ????) however you know I got that marvoulous mitten book....you know the LONG one....... it won't FIT in a regular bookcase.....
I should just get the AC Moore coupon and buy a bookcase a week.... after a year all the assorted book, ( including knitting) book may just have their own home, and not just a pile on the floor......then of course....I need a new house....with a large room to be a library....
hmmmm
it really doesn't end..
now I want this latvian mitten book......
and a few history books....
a couple of books on assorted crafts
some costuming books
and so on and so on and so on.....

oye
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe