Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Impulsive Yarn Buyer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Impulse buying? Gosh, I would *never* do that...

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
Not only have I been buying too much yarn for too many years, but sometimes I cannot bring myself to use very special yarn until I find "the perfect project." A small LYS just opened in my small town, and I have more yarn than she does. Which, of course, doesn't stop me from buying more on the nights I am there teaching. Sigh. The good thing about felting is that it uses lots of yarn! Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

Deborah Harris
New Pal

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  02:54:30 AM  Show Profile Send Deborah Harris a Private Message
Hey you are all lucky you only buy wool (yarns).I do that and have a lot that I have been collectiong over the years BUT worse still I also buy knitting patterns books magazines....I have so many I will never be able to use a fraction of the patterns.Some people collect stamps I collect wool and patterns.It is a disease I am afraid

Deb.
woolshed@aapt.net.au
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:47:54 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Barbara - you made my day! I have 2 bagsful of yarn I brought home from NZ 10 years ago, plus yarn I bought at a closeout (any of you Oregonians remember Das Yarn Haus in Tigard?) before that. Every time I've attended a workshop I've come home with a trunkful of the most gorgeous stuff. Most of you have heard the story of finishing our basement - I suggested a cedar closet to store out-of-season clothing, blankets, etc. Well, you know what the etc. is and it has taken up nearly all the space. I have it on the shelves, in two sets of stackable bins, all my extra baskets and knitting bags. Best part is that DH continues to indulge me, if I want it, that's good enough for him! And no, I will not be submitting a photo!
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

Snookems
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  01:28:32 AM  Show Profile Send Snookems a Private Message
I'm home! haha! I have a stash as well and still continue to buy. I only started knitting this past summer and have already had to rearrange a closet to fit my knitting stuff. Is that bad? :)

Kim in Texas
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  04:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I used to have a guest room - but now it's where the yarn lives - I really must rationalise, which of course means buying more under bed storage...

I have just got back from 10 days on the Isle of Wight, at my family home. The island has the 'British disease' of yarn shops almost exclusively given over to huge balls of bargain acrylic. One of them also sold sweets and cigars for crying out loud. However, I did manage to part with 30 on 16 balls of good old fashioned solid coloured wool sock yarn in one shop. It was the only decent yarn they had and I felt I needed to encourage them...

Jane (who already probably owns her bodyweight in sock yarn)

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Karen in MN
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  6:18:32 PM  Show Profile Send Karen in MN a Private Message
Oh yeah -- bad enough in the store during regular times, but add the words "sale" to the mix, and I'm a goner. And works the same way with on-line stores.

And then there's the "I have no idea what I'll make with this, but I gotta try it, it's such a cool fiber/yarn/whatever -- and I'm tired of scarves, so I should probably buy enough to make a whole sweater/vest/bag/whatever.

I justify it by saying I used to spend that much on cigarettes, and I didn't have anything to show for them the next day. :)

Go to Top of Page

ladydaynnite
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:45:55 PM  Show Profile Send ladydaynnite a Private Message
Dicksie, I remember the Yarn HAus in Tigard, SUper Yarn MArt at MAll 205 and on McLaughlin Blvd at the Holly Farm Mall and I think they were at Washington Square too. Now, that I am living 3 hours from any LYS I miss ALL OF THEM.
DH told me I need a 12 step program for help with my addiction, but I say I belong to a 3 step program and admit I am a knitaholic.
1. See yarn
2. Beg,swap,trade,buy,accept gifts of yarn
3. Put yarn in stash.
See, no problem at all.
That's why I belong to the knittingpatternaddicts yahoo group.
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
I have no LYS (sympathy cards can be sent to....) [:((]

Had I known, I would never have moved here. So when I travel and pass a yarn store, I absolutely HAVE to stop and buy, buy, buy. I mean, I never know when I will be by this way again.

I get a lot on the internet, and it is so easy. One click - it's ordered. Another click - it's paid for. Days later I get a package. It's almost like someone is sending me yarn for free!!!

My stash is outrageous. I love the Yarn Harlot's term - SABLE = Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy. That is SO me. My DH teases me about having to have a 10 page will. One page to handle the distribution of all my property and money and 9 more pages to divvy out the yarn.

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GoldfishGirl
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  8:03:01 PM  Show Profile Send GoldfishGirl a Private Message
Do you have any other sons I could marry, Tabbico? Or should I say "Mom"? :)
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
Last week on our knitting night the other non-newbie knitter in our group was telling me about how she was in the process of sorting her stash for an upcoming swap we will be holding for our group. I'm still giggling about the looks on our new knitter's faces when she was talking about getting yarn out of boxes...and bins...and drawers...out of bags...and from closets...and under the bed(s)...and up in the attic...and the trunk of her car...

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

Tabby2002
Warming Up

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  9:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tabby2002's Homepage Send Tabby2002 a Private Message
I think I am in this boat too! What is it about the call of the yarn that hooks us so easily? Is it the possibility of what the yarn will be used to create? Is it the pretty colours? Maybe the texture? Whatever it is, I know that I am a yarnaholic!
Go to Top of Page

Gypzy
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile Send Gypzy a Private Message
I so know what all of you mean. I'm the sniffer, the toucher and the carry it around person all rolled into one. And this internet thing is just too easy. I purchased some yarn this morning that was on sale...I was so excited...I bought 40 balls...just cuz I might want to do a large project and might run out...is that pathetic or what? LOL
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  4:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
Tabbico, Im the exact same way. I think Im quickly reaching SABLE in my dorm room and at my parents house. Though it is sadly lacking in sock yarn at the moment (by which I mean I only have maybe 1/2 my body weight between the two places in sock yarn)... hmm. Kinda scary considering that most of it is lace weight!

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits. Vegetarian and environmentally friendly!

http://www.livehournal.com/~mnsfibers
blog
Go to Top of Page

Redknit
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  05:53:13 AM  Show Profile Send Redknit a Private Message
so much yarn, so little time, my eldest daughter is now complaining that my yarn takes up more space in her wardrobe than her clothes, half of the linen cupboard is filled with yarn and DH complains about all the knitting stuff lying around in general. Every time I try to use some of stash, I replace it with more....
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  08:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Oh, my, am I in the right place! I too have reached the point where my stash will almost certainly outlive me, even if I were to retire and do nothing but knit and sleep for the rest of my life!

But can I resist new yarns? As Dickie Smothers used to say, "Not now. Not ever. Never." (sigh)

One of the most dangerous places for me to be is my LYS when a shipment arrives. The manager knows me (and my tastes) a little too well, and starts stacking samples of the new yarns on the table in front of me, along with the newest books. She knows that'll start me thinking (a very dangerous thing to do, set me thinking).

Ohwell, it's better than being addicted to drugs or alcohol.

AuntyNin
Go to Top of Page

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  09:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message
This topic has sure caught my attention. Whenever I step into a yarn store, the impulse to purchase some yarn is just so irresistable.

Now that I am a part- yarn supplier (I teach knitting and crochet), it's even worse as I have all the shadecards and inventory all around me. Imagine me going on the phone: "2 for my students and 1 for me..." LOL

Em

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SaraAmarie
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  2:55:10 PM  Show Profile Send SaraAmarie a Private Message
I am just learning how to knit but have loved yarn and fibers as long as I can remember. There is so much that I just want to buy but HOW MUCH do you get?? What if I get something without a project in mind and when I find a project, it is not enough?? This has stopped me from getting yarn before. So my question is- on an impulsive buy, how much of one kind of yarn do you get??
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  6:38:06 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
95% of the time I purchase yarn without a project in mind. There is a very handy reference card (can't remember what it is called) that provides the expected yardage for various projects. I find it helpful. If the yarn is a novelty, I buy enough for a scarf. If it is lace weight, enough for a shawl. Wool, enough for a pullover or cardigan, leftovers can be used for socks, mittens, hats, etc.. I am curently finishing a sweatshirt style knit jacket made from 10 balls of merino wool and Jo Sharp I had. I doubled the yarn to make it heavier and used up leftovers from one project and the jo sharp I originally meant for something else. Having all this yarn has helped me become creative. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  12:09:03 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
My stash probably would be a contender in this group even though I've been "collecting" for only about 2-1/2 years. (No sign of let-up anytime soon!) Here's my most recent thought on the subject--teach myself Tunisian crochet because it uses up lots of yarn quickly. I figured it out this weekend (it's not rocket science, believe me)...but, of course, had to order appropriate needles, stitch book, pattern book...you know the story....

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.