Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Multiple shades of a colour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Planning an experimental Fair Isle type Teddy Bear Sweater - and figured I would try dyeing some white merino I had to get my three shades of two colour families I need for the project.

It turned out to be a bit more complicated then I figured.

among other things - different components of the kool-aid "strike" the yarn at different times - so if I didn't "cook" it all the way the colour changed, not just the shade.

Getting the shades more saturated took some doing!

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Anyway - take "grape" - I wanted to get three shades of purple - and had the three skeins of white merino.

So one would expect that if I took three skeins and used half the reccomended quantity on one skein, and twice the reccomended on the 2nd skein and the normal quantity on the third skein I'd get a nice graduated colour series, yes?

seems it doesn't work that way! Half the quantity gave me colour so pale it looked like the yarn was dirty. and twice the normal quantity could barely be told from the normal amount. Ended up using six times the "normal" amount in order to get the darkest shade I wanted - and redyed the lightest shade several times in order to get a medium shade.
The "normal" quantity of dye ended up my "light" shade.

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I also discovered that for "grape" at least, the red and blue components of the dye strike the wool at different times - and if I took the yarn out early - the leftover liquid was blue and the yarn was definately pinkish!

Go to Top of Page

brown-eyed purl
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:45:52 AM  Show Profile Send brown-eyed purl a Private Message
Hmmmm...I know a lot of knitters on the board dye, but hoo boy, it sure sounds like it's more complex than you'd think. Glad you found something that worked for you, though!
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  12:07:07 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
well - part of it was that was I was trying for a specific result - three shades of a related colour.

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  2:12:42 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Sounds like it is more of an exponential progression that is needed rather than a linear one. For intance, to make it twice as saturated, try 4 times as much color. To make it 4 times as saturated, try 16 times as much color, and so on.
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  2:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
yup - that seems to be true - at least to some extent. I think the individual colors vary as well.

The cherry I tried came out much more orange then samples I have seen before - and I'm wondering how much the hardness of water effect the shade you get.

Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  6:49:34 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
I've done a lot of dyeing, but very little with Kool-Aid, so take this with a grain of salt.

The amounts of dye required to create a gradation of color is exponential, not linear. It's not a good idea to try to create a gradation by taking your fiber out at different times. Doing separate dye runs & diluting the dye is a far better method. No matter how much you have done, you can still get surprised. A couple of weeks ago I tried to do some self patterning sock yarns. One was to be really intense colors. The other one was to be the same basic colors, but pastel. I got a difference in how dark the colors were, but no way could you say I got dark & pastel!

It is possible to create repeatable, predictable results. Within limits. Even the big guys have dye lot differences!

Almost everything you use in the dye process can vary your results. The hardness of the water is one of the big variables.

KS
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  06:56:58 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
KS - Thanks for confirming what I was beginning to suspect from my results...

I guess if I had more time to "play" this would be a lot of fun - it was mostly frustrating the other day.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe