Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 I love silk (and a bit of other spinning progress)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I got some silk roving from a contest. It arrived today and it is sooo pretty and beautifully soft. I pulled off a small amount and drafted it as thin as I could to see how thin I could spin it on my spindle. It is so nice. I am going to thouroughly enjoy spinning and knitting this. What little I spun came out quite fine (for me anyway) and still soft. I guess if I drafted my wool as much, it would be just as thin. However, I have been trying to keep my wool as close in thickness to my first spinning so I can knit it all up into a hat. I think I have enough. I hope so, because I look at each hank I have made and they are progressively just a little thinner and more even. It is nice to see my progress.
Oh, and this is all on the toy wheel and dowel spindle Mike sent me. I think I am going to see about getting a golding for Christmas (if I can't get a wheel, or in addition to one) and see what that does for my spinning. Though I will probably stick with this one a lot. I do so enjoy it.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  04:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I'm getting thinner and more consistant too. I hope this won't make the drop spindle sweater too strange. So far it's turning out kind of consistant, I saved my first spindle yarn for the trim, hopefully that will pull it all together.

It's been almost two years since Carol Leigh showed me how to use the spindle, it would be so cool if I could have the sweater finished by the end of Jan. She told me on the phone that she hopes to make the rendezvous this year. I plan on bringing an extra tent this year just for all my fibers and my Country Craftsman spinning wheel, I am going to get some hands on instruction from Carol Leigh if she manages to show up.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Silk is my very favorite fiber to spin (so far...).

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth