Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Separation anxiety?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:08:25 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Has anybody else knit something up as a gift but then had a really hard time actually parting with it??

I asked my sister what kind of knit item she wanted for Christmas, and after seeing my Ribby Cardis, she begged me to make her one. Black with pink stripes down the sleeves... with a hood if possible... on the slightly slouchy side. No problem, I say, and a couple weeks later (and some total winging on the hood), I have me a lovely ribby hoodie. (Pics here ).

So anyways, after making the hood and installing the zipper, I of course have to try the thing on... and it's so warm... and slouchy... and oh, the hood.. SO warm... and now I find myself wearing the thing around the house on a semi-regular basis... I LOVE LOVE LOVE it... if it were a scarf or something, I'd make myself a second one in an instant...

I don't *really* have to give it to her, do I?? Just kidding, she's already seen it and tried it on... she can't WAIT until Christmas! She's going to LOVE this thing... I'm going to miss it!!!

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:22:20 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
Yes, I know what you mean! I knit the Faina scarf for my boss. She has been wonderful to me for 12 years, and I'm retiring next month. I wanted to give her something to remember me, so I knit this scarf. It is so pretty( I think so, anyway), and I finally got it blocked. It sits on my dresser and I pet it everytime I go by. I am suffering from separation anxiety too! But, she is moving to Maine and I know the scarf will come in handy for her. I'm a bit worried about the "itch" factor, but have decided to tell her that if it bothers her to wear it with high necked sweaters, etc., or use it as a furniture scarf if she chooses.

So, I get to pet it until Dec 16th, then it is mine no more!

Patricia in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I think I have the exact oposite problem. Almost everything I make for myself winds up living with someone else because as soon as I finish I just know that X would love and enjoy it!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Absolutely. Almost everything. They're like puppies - you get attached. The easiest giveaway was a pretty scarf to a sick friend, because I really wanted her to have something nice and soft to wear.

I often want to keep things for a while before they go, to stroke and admire. Giving it away always leaves room for a new project to fill "the void," though. That's the fun part.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:51:32 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I made a beautiful baby blanket full of cables and different knit-purl combinations. It was for my friends new grandbaby. I loved it so much I didn't want to give it away. And I don't have a baby!

It was well received and well used, so I'm happy. But it would be nice to see it again..... Sigh.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Oh and there was the scarf I made as one among many scarves for Chritmas gifts the first year I knit. It was to be for un uncle but I switched things around and gave it to DH so I could still have it in the house.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

BastetG4
Chatty Knitter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:36:27 AM  Show Profile Send BastetG4 a Private Message
Definitely. The clapotis I made for my mom was so much prettier than the one I had made for myself, I really wished I could keep it. But she loves it very much, and the colors look great on her.

I love your ribby, hoodie too! I want it and I had nothing to do with it's creation. It's yummy.

Lisa

--
I'm getting comfortable with ripping.
Go to Top of Page

Berchem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  1:41:34 PM  Show Profile Send Berchem a Private Message
One time I knitted a beautiful sweater, all cables and alpaca yarn for a donation to an auction to raise money for my son's school. After I donated it, I missed it so much that when I went to the auction, I bidded until I won it and got it back.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  2:02:05 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
For me it is the 3 boggie bags I knit this yr for my 3 dil. Ea one I made I loved and so one is for my sock projects, one for my scarf projects and another is for any project I want it to be. Sometimes it just happens that way. Maybe next yr I will try to knit them a bogga bag or even a felted tote of some kind. Oh ya, I forgot the bubble bag, I am keeping that one too.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  2:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Berchem

One time I knitted a beautiful sweater, all cables and alpaca yarn for a donation to an auction to raise money for my son's school. After I donated it, I missed it so much that when I went to the auction, I bidded until I won it and got it back.

OMG...you poor thing...you paid twice for it...once to buy the yarn and then again to get it back! Enjoy your sweater....you certainly deserve it.

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Berchem

That SO sounds like something that I would do. Reminder to self... don't knit intricate sweaters for charity...

I also became rather attached to the stuffed elephant that I made last week. I'm a grown woman. This should not be happening. But no, we've adopted him, named him Blinky and he sits on our couch and watches TV with us.

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  4:37:04 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Blinky is very cute. I am sure Blinky enjoys sitting and watching TV with the both of you.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  6:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
Yes, yes! I even started a thread with the same name a few weeks ago... I want to keep it all! I don't know how people SELL the stuff they knit... it's hard enough knowing I'll get joint custody and I could borrow that scarf or sweater from a friend or relative, let alone sending it off into the cruel, cruel world...

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:05:32 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
I had a tough time with the first item I ever gave away - a baby blanket. I had struggled with the yarn and countless errors. It was also the widest item I had knit at the time, and it felt like it took forever.

And then there was the Malabrigo turtleneck sweater I made for my sister - it was hard to let go of such a velvety garment. I also discovered that I had fallen in love with the color of it. I even paraded in front of DH, who kept reminding me that I had made it for my sister.

It made it easier to know that my gifts were appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Saphira17
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saphira17's Homepage Send Saphira17 a Private Message
I gave my first knitted bag to my Mum for Mother's Day. It was the Sophie bag and I worked so hard on it to make sure it was perfect, after I took it out of the washer to dry, I knew that I wasn't going to give it up easily. I kept it around the house for a few days, then, I packed it very gently in a box to its new home. My Mum loves it and she was so proud when I told her I had made it. Since then, I have made a couple of bags and I have been selfish and kept them all to myself...well, for the exception of one which I gave to a dear friend of mine when she moved to TX.

I have to agree it is difficult giving up the items...I like to pet them and admire them. Maybe the awe "of I made it" will wear off as I keep on knitting...but I highly doubt it

Isela

The bloggy
http://isela.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  01:45:07 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
I'm so glad I read this as I thought I was being mean by not wanting to give away my knitted things! I am happy to knit for my 2 DDs and DH but as for everyone else....
I don't think people in general (especially non knitters) can appreciate the end result as completely as I can!

Liz
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  03:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
Since the hoodie is for your sis, I imagine you could easily, umm...borrow it from time to time!

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  04:33:54 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
I don't blame you...great sweater!

I had a hard time parting with a Norwegian sweater I made for my sister years ago. Maybe because it took me so long.

I also have a hard time parting with some of my bags.

But isn't it great when you see someone and they're wearing something you've knit for them! AND...it looks good!!

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:03:12 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a boggie bag? I've heard of the felted bogga bag using Kureyon but boggie is new to me. As I am obsessed with knitted bags, I'm always looking for new patterns. Got a pic?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:12:33 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Yes, I made two great scarfs. Thin and very long with fringe. When my sister came to visit I asked her if she would like them. She loved them and took them home. I secrtetly hoped she'd forget them. She just called on her way to jury duty in NYC and said she was wearing one of them and they were perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Rhonlynn
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:15:22 AM  Show Profile Send Rhonlynn a Private Message
I knit up scarves, and I usualy do it with yarns I like, and,. I admit, the last two I made, I wanted to keep. They are so fuzzy,and soft, and one looks like a rabbit. I don't know if I'll keep it, or not. I might. But, I only have one neck.

--Rhonda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.