Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Separation anxiety?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hwest112
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:22:21 AM  Show Profile Send hwest112 a Private Message
My "separation anxiety" for things that I knit (actually, anything that I made) began years ago. My solution was to take a picture of anything that I made, and put it on a card with information about the project and who received the gift. While not a total cure, it does help a lot. It does make me feel my creations are always with me.
Go to Top of Page

wittyknits
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit wittyknits's Homepage Send wittyknits a Private Message
I've not been too bad with this yet, but I did have some reservations about giving a pair of socks recently. I'd made them for a friend, and we were going through kind of a rough patch at the time I finished them, so it made sense to give them to her. I worried she wouldn't wear them though, so I was hesitant.

Well, we've patching things up, and she wears them all the time, so I feel better about it now. Plus, it's just a pair of socks -- I can certainly knit myself a pair too!

--
wittyknits.blogspot.com
Because a witty knit beats a nitwit any day!
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I knitted a darling hat for a lady whose first child was due anytime. I hated giving that hat away. But I had no use for it except to admire it. It was the tomato hat and I have to apologize I can't remember the designer's name. But I used Classic Elite Skye Tweed and it wasn't cutesy but adorable. The tweed made the tomato look so perfect. I did take a picture and at the moment it is the coverpage pic for our Yahoo knitting group.

Kay
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:54:06 AM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
What a topic as I am making items for other people's bazaars! I have two snow people sitting in my living room--they are so cute; and then there is the chenille purse with dazzle accents that I told my friend she cannot accept anything less than $30 or I will buy it (I am knitting it with yarn that was donated to her church). My shawls that I have been making for Shawl Ministry. I do different patterns and different yarns and have loved each and every one of them.

After this weekend when I finish up the donated projects, I told my friends and family it is going to be all about me with regard to my knitting--oh, but I do have to finish the cute little sheep scarf for my 20-something DD and the $930 purse for my other 20-something daughter. Oh well, maybe after Christmas it will be about me!!

J
Go to Top of Page

white_o_w_l@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  09:13:58 AM  Show Profile Send white_o_w_l@yahoo.com a Private Message
No problem with separation anxiety here. In fact, often I can't wait to "get it out of my house". I do like the idea of taking pictures of the socks, shawls, sweaters, hoodies, etc. I often forget what I've knitted.

One cure for separation anxiety may be to make sure you knit something for *yourself*! My particular fetish is handknit socks so I make sure I get one pair in for myself between projects. And mittens...and the occassional sweater.

Needless to say, I knit a LOT.
Go to Top of Page

Mandy
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mandy's Homepage Send Mandy a Private Message
I don't have a huge problem letting things go, but I also take pictures to make it a little easier.

The problem I have is when the recipient doesn't appreciate it! How frustrating. I made a baby blanket with little yarn (what was i thinking?) It took me off and on a year, i figured out that it probably took me 70 hours to make. So when i gave the mommy the blanket she did not really act very excited about it, and i've never seen it again. Sad. Oh well, what can i do, ask for it back?

-mandy
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  8:47:14 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Saphira17

I have to agree it is difficult giving up the items...I like to pet them and admire them. Maybe the awe "of I made it" will wear off as I keep on knitting...but I highly doubt it

Isela

The bloggy
http://isela.typepad.com

I've been knitting for several years, and I still get that sense of awe when I finish something. I hope I never loose it.

I recently finished two bunnies from the Debbie Bliss knitted animals book that are going to be Christmas presents for the daughters of a friend. It will be very difficult when it is time for the bunnies to go to their new home. I'm just grateful that I still have six week to come to terms with the impending separation.
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  8:52:06 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
I also keep a binder of pictures of the things that I've made with notes about who they were made for and the occasion. It's nice to have a journal to look back through and see what I've accomplished.
Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  07:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message
When I knit something, while I make something, I will think about who to give it to or debate about whether to keep it for myself. So, I have learned that if I make up my mind before I start, then I do not deviate from that decision while making it.
That way, I make something for myself, and still do things for others. And if there is something I really like that I'm knitting for someone, I will turn around and make one for myself next.
Go to Top of Page

BetsyK
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  6:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send BetsyK a Private Message
Here's my rule. I knit everything for myself. Since I mostly, if not exclusively,knit sweaters, fit and comfort is important. If it is too small, I give it to my MIL or either of two SIL (they are petite). If it is to big, it goes to one of my sisters. If it fits but I don't like the way it looks on me or it is not comfortable, etc. it goes to the other sister who is the same size as me. she isn't as fussy about comfort.

When my sweater comes out perfectly (size, comfort and flattering-wise) which is about 90% of the time, then I keep it. This system works out great!

Betsy in Colorado
Go to Top of Page

Kiwigirl
New Pal

New Zealand
18 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile Send Kiwigirl a Private Message

I Love to knit gifts and then give them away. I think that people really apprecite a hand made gift, becuase it has taken time and love and care to do. I especially love to knit baby clothes, as they are quick and so lovely! New Mums love something given that perhaps they are unable to make for themselves too. Or they rely on the Grandma's to knit for them.

Debra (Kiwigirl)
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  11:56:29 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Since I choose projects on the basis of "oh, that looks like it would be fun to make" as opposed to "I'd love to have that", I actually have to look for recipients. I've never had a hard time giving something away.

Although, I have to admit that I did stop working on socks for SnL in order to make a pair for myself. Socks are about the only handknits I'll be making and using regularly.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page