Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Knitting Magazines
 Winter IK preview
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  7:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
If you want to see a larger photo of the pattern, put your mouse over the pattern you want to see, right click on the pattern, and then select copy (this is how it works on my computer). Then open up a word processor or photo workspace and open/paste the image there. On my computer, going into word, I can easily enlarge the photos to see more of the details.

I love Veronik Avery's Cabled Bandeau, Shirley Paden's Belted Wrap Jacket, the 432 Ribbed Pullover, and the fickle finger's scarf. I also like the fairisle 101, but I would need it longer. I can't stand the feeling of my stomoch uncovered under a sweater.

And....don't hit me for this....I think the pompom tree is cute. I could see my kids wanting to help make them.

to view my art: members.cox.net/sherritzej
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  10:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
Wow, I was about to not pay my subscription. The last issue was my "free tryout" issue and there was nothing in there that called out to me, though I did find a couple things in the one before that which I got at the newsstand. They've been sending me bills for a few months now and I've blown them off -- not having made up my mind. I just made up my mind and when to their website and paid for my subscription with a credit card. There are several things I must knit from this issue.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  11:22:14 AM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message
Well, they'll have plenty of time to apply your payment before the issue goes out on the 24th! <GRRRRRR.>

I agree, last issue was nothing special. I misplaced it somewhere and really don't mind, except for wanting to keep my collection of issues intact.

What I'm seeing in the previews reminds me of why I subscribed in the first place. Especially as magazines like Knitters and Vogue go more and more for the size 36 needles idiocy and instantly forgettable 80s drek redux, I think we desperately need one or two mags that actually aspire to something more than selling the yarn.

Oh, and I'm glad to see that the redhead and the other model aren't dominating this issue. The dark haired one who might look a little "chunky" in the preview pics? I think she actually has breasts and hips. And is possibly over 30. YAY!!!
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  11:28:15 AM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message
...meant "more than *just* selling the yarn". They still have to sell the yarn; they're relying on advertising like anyone else. But still, no fun fur + dog's breakfast of 18 other trendy yarn shmatteh, for which I am eternally grateful.
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  8:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
I feel like I am on the opposite end of the spectrum: I love the bandeau and the mukluks.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  9:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I agree with you, Celia. I'd like bigger pictures in the preview too.

I do think I'd like to make Brilliant Retro.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  9:57:32 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
I like the gored skirt. I have never liked knitted skirts, but this one (and the one in the Fall issue are definitely making me reconsider...

I think I like the PB jacket, but I want to see the front!
Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

LuvYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  10:04:25 PM  Show Profile Send LuvYarn a Private Message
I really like the Ballet Wrap jacket. I'll probably buy it just for that as I have been looking something like it.
Go to Top of Page

TaraGel
Chatty Knitter

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  10:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit TaraGel's Homepage Send TaraGel a Private Message
It makes me weep to see all those pom poms knitted with ALCHEMY YARNS. If you're going to make pom poms--why not just use frickin acrylic?
Sigh. I must be in a cranky mood, because while the designs are nice and not too out there this month, I won't be rushing out to buy 9 skeins (actually more, because their patterns usually come in small sizes and I'd have to upsize) of Colinette Prism to make that wrap sweater at a cost of $180+ dollars.
I know it's up to knitters to know how to substitute for affordability, but a coat using 18 balls of Berroco Hip Hop? Who can afford this stuff?
Does any magazine out there consistently use reasonably priced yarns?

Check out my knits!
http://Knitknack.Etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  11:33:47 PM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TaraGel
Does any magazine out there consistently use reasonably priced yarns?

"Knit It" comes to mind, but boy don't people get ticked at all the Lion Brand stuff, too!

LisaB
Go to Top of Page

TaraGel
Chatty Knitter

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  8:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit TaraGel's Homepage Send TaraGel a Private Message
Ah yeah--I'm not really a fan of the magazines that only ever suggest one brand of yarn. It would be cool if there was a magazine that would list three different kinds of yarn with every pattern, one super-expensive ($10-20+ a ball), one moderate ($5-10 a ball) and one very affordable (up to $5 per ball).

Check out my knits!
http://Knitknack.Etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  9:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
Rose, I am in total agreement with your comments. I am looking for a fun ballet wrap sweater, but I don't think this is it! It seems a bit short-waisted in addition to bulky.

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  9:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Tara, that would be a great idea! You should write to IK and suggest it. It reminds me of the magazines like Lucky or Real Simple that show how to achieve one look ("be bohemian", "leopard prints are back",...) with three different budgets.

I like this IK issue, especially the Fair Isle Sweater. (I just bought the Vogue Holiday issue and after looking at it at home, I started wondering why I even bother buying VK and the answer is... there's too much time between the IK issues so I want something to look at!)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

lisab
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  10:46:00 AM  Show Profile Send lisab a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TaraGel

It would be cool if there was a magazine that would list three different kinds of yarn with every pattern, one super-expensive ($10-20+ a ball), one moderate ($5-10 a ball) and one very affordable (up to $5 per ball).

That would be cool.

What I've been forever wishing for is that the mags would show a pattern sweater worn on 3 or more body types (different sizes as needed) - fine, show me how it looks on the 100 lb 5'6" model, now let's see it on a shorter woman with a more "classical" feminine figure (yes, I mean boobs and hips), and then also on a plus size model.

Only problem is that some styles will look just horrible on some figures, but that could challenge designers to come up with more inclusive variations on patterns. Sometimes it is as simple as changing a raglan to a set-in sleeve, easing the fit, or lengthening a cropped garment.

LisaB
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  3:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I just received my copy today! I definitely want to try the embossed leaves socks and the Fair Isle 101 sweater.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  6:04:18 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Rolled my eyes at all the Alchemy going towards pom poms, too. To chop up Alchemy into little bits is sacrilege. But, hey, when yarn is your job and/or you get all the yarn you want for free, maybe you tend to lose touch with the reality of what the average knitter would pay for. Really, though the idea of a pom pom tree is pretty cute.
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  6:22:49 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
I have to weigh in with those who weren't really wow-ed by this issue. But I love the subscriber-only sock pattern Web Socks! But as I have said before, I am often running after the bandwagon, months after it has passed me by.

pieheart

"If your toast always lands butter-side down, plan ahead. Butter the
other side instead."

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page