Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Hats, Gloves, and Mittens
 sock yarn mittens?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  9:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I want to make some mittens for my son using some magic stripes yarn I have. Why can't I find a pattern? I don't need super warm mittens. We live in the desert. But it does get chilly enough that I want mittens for him to wear when walking to school in the morning (if it actually gets cold this year. Seems warmer each winter). That is why I thought sock yarn would be good. What patterns do you all think would be best?

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  05:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
brandy..... mittens really are so easy...
trace his hand....
cast on the fingers as if you are starting a sock.... increase to hand circumfrence....
knit even to thumb area... insert waste yarn......knit to ribbing.....RIB....
bind off and go back and knit in a thumb which is the exact same thing as the mitten part only with a lot less stitches.....
kitchener to palm

repeat.... ( make sure you do a left and right thumb)

vi
or...........
there are a lot of patterns on the net using fingerin weight
swatch and adjust needle size to the sock yarn to get pattern guage

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  06:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
Here's a child's mitten: http://www.knitsnbytes.com/frosty-mittens.htm

and another (adult/kids) http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatmit

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  09:08:17 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
Likonbrand.com has children's mittens in the Magic Stripes yarn on their website. It's in the children's section.

Let us see them when you finish them!
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  11:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Vi, those are great instruction, but I have no idea how or where to insert waste yarn or anything.
Lesley, those patterns look great. I may either use those as they are, or use them as a guide to understand how to do the thumb.
Musiclady, I searched lion brand before posting here and didn't find them. I will try again though.
Anyway, it will be a little while before I have the mittens done, but I will certainly post pics.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

BastetG4
Chatty Knitter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  12:02:43 PM  Show Profile Send BastetG4 a Private Message
You could also try the Hooray for Me fingerless glove pattern. They use self-striping sock yarn to make gloves that seem way more complicated than they really are.
http://mlminspirations.com/patterns/HFMGloves/HFMGloves.html

Lisa

--
I'm getting comfortable with ripping.
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Cool instructions Vi - thanks ! I've been wanting to try mittens as well - and most of the patterns sounded so intimidating - yours was so clear!

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  10:31:57 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I make them by starting out just as you would for a toe up sock. Cast on, increase until mitten fits hand. Knit even until the base of the thumb, then insert waste yarn. I then knit even a few rows and do ribbing until cuff is desired length. All you then have to do is take out waste yarn and knit the thumb, which is just a wee tube.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  10:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
There is a detailed pattern for children's mittens from sock yarns on the WiseNeedle site, which belongs to Kim Salazar. The URL for the mitten pattern is: http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatmit

Kim's patterns and instructions are great. I refer people to this site all the time when they want to learn to make toe-up socks too.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  07:50:35 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
I just went to the Lionbrand.com website and found the pattern using Magic Stripes yarn...go to Knitting Patterns and Scroll down until you see the Magic Stripes yarn listed - they have both boys and girls patterns as well as patterns for grown-ups.

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  7:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

I make them by starting out just as you would for a toe up sock. Cast on, increase until mitten fits hand. Knit even until the base of the thumb, then insert waste yarn. I then knit even a few rows and do ribbing until cuff is desired length. All you then have to do is take out waste yarn and knit the thumb, which is just a wee tube.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com

ok it is obvious that mokey is one of my long lost siblings....
right????
my much YOUNGER sibling...
but still....

vi

(see your knitting will out you......... )

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Ann Budd's book The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns has mittens out of sock yarn. Plus, here's a free pattern for "big kids": http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatmit -- looks just about perfect for what you want, if the size is small enough, since they are for light wear, not full on snow fights and winter weather.... I just googled "sock yarn mittens" and found those...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Well, I think the pattern at wiseneedle.com is probably my best option, as 3 of you have recommended it here .
I am almost done with Adam's sweater, and I just finished a spiral scarf. I have 1 pair of socks otn. That is it. Yeah, I still have 2 dolls to make for Christmas, but I already let thme know that it would be late. So, I should have plenty of time to make the mittens now. Yay! Adam will be so happy. He had wanted felted mittens, but I was playing with the sock yarn and realized that would be better. He liked the idea. A lot. I wish he would always be this easy to please, but I am sure he will grow out of it eventually.
Anyway, thank you all for your help!

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Ok, I am at the thumb. I have lost my printout of the pattern, but looked at it online. It looks like I am supposed to set aside however many stitches (in that pattern it says 5 each on two needles, but my needles are bigger, so would I do less? I can pretty well translate it to circs) and then make a provisional cast-on of twice what was set aside (20 total). So, I wrapped what I have of the mitten around his thumb and found that it is about 11 stitches. Would that mean I put waste yarn in 4 stitches and do a provisional cast-on of 8? I think that seems right. I just don't want to mess up. Hmmm . . . When I started writing this I hadn't done the math and was rather confused. Now it seems to make sense. If I am wrong, tell me now before I mess it up please.
Thanks!

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe