Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 chemical smell on wet yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
This is not a complaint against a specific yarn, it has happened with the last two commercial brands I've used for felting. When I get it wet for felting it has the same chemical smell that I used to associate with getting a "permanent". I figure that the same or a similar chemical must be used to "set" the twist in the yarn (instead of the hand-spinners way of wetting the spun yarn with water and letting it dry under tension).
This happened most recently with Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush and with the yellow-green color of Lopi-Lite. The smell disappeared when the yarn was dry.
The smell was really obnoxious but I guess I shouldn't complain since the yarn isn't speciafically made for felting. (And, by the way, the Lopi-Lite felted fine, withoout a lot of the extra fuzz mentioned in another topic in the "Never Again" section).

Carol in Maine

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  09:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
The Lopi had that smell? That's odd... but I think I had heard something about an issue with a chemical from a few years ago, any chance you know/could find out how old the yarn is? We've done loads of felting with Lopi and Lite, haven't had an issue but I want to keep an eye on it :)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
To me a perm and wet wool smell pretty much the same - wet hair. I know it is hard to describe a scent online, but to me what you described sounds like normal wet wool smell.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Oooo, I didn't think of that Mokey, thanks for the reminder :) Now that I think of it, I guess felting items do smell a lot like my grand-ma's beauty parlor...

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

elisantics
Warming Up

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  08:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit elisantics's Homepage Send elisantics a Private Message
It's just the wet wool smell. I get the same from Cascade 220 as well.

http://knitting.elisamatic.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  5:51:14 PM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by mokey

To me a perm and wet wool smell pretty much the same - wet hair. I know it is hard to describe a scent online, but to me what you described sounds like normal wet wool smell.

I handle wet wool frequently, felting, dyeing, etc. and I like the smell. This was not the smell of wet wool.
Unfortunately I discarded the Lopi labels as soon as I was done with the project (except for the label I attached to the hat-- but it was part of a raffle, and I don't know who ended up with it). All the yarn was purchased within the last month; don't know how long it has been in the shop.

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  3:14:53 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I just felted the Farmer's Market Tote from Knitpicks made with Wool of the Andes and it has that wet wool - beauty shop smell. Thank goodness I had read this posting earlier or I would have thought I had done something wrong. The tote is still drying so still has the smell. I'm hoping that the smell will go away when it is completely dry.
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
My knitpicks decadence (alpaca) smelled yucky when it was blocking too, but it went away. Alpaca is known for this, from what I have read.

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  03:30:01 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Some dyes smell, especially red and black.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.