Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Alakazam...Poof....Catherine?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  3:18:16 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Since I was able to make Schoolmama appear as if by magic, I'm now wondering where our dear Catherine is! I pray for her and her husband often and hope all is going ok for them. Anyone heard from her?

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  3:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
<waving!> I'm here, Chris! I've posted a time or two, but I've been pretty quiet - no really bad reason, just nothing profound to say. Jack's condition is about the same, he's a bit more tired, his kidney function isn't too great, and he has, let me see, 3 doctors' appts in the next 10 days, one's a rather unpleasant test and one's a chemo treatment, so it's a real party here still. Prayers are still needed, and appreciated! As for knitting, I'm cranking along on various things - I finished the lighter-weight Einstein Coat from the Melville book, and love it, and right now I'm contemplating frogging the back of a Cotton Fleece pullover because I started to think I should have made it in the round, and now that this thought has lodged in my head, I can't look at it "flat" again without doubting whether it's worth it to continue. I hate it when that happens! And I'm giving up buying yarn for Lent - I'm determined to make a dent in the stash again this year. Thanks for thinking of me!

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  4:03:47 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Hi, Catherine! So glad you're ok! I'm praying things go smoothly for Jack this week, and by extension, for you.

Lent. This is such a tough time of year...especially when you're the business manager for a church! People look at me funny when they ask "what are you sacrificing" and I say "uh...er...nothing???". I know I should, and I know what I should (alcohol, sugar, meat, etc.), but I'm just sooooo weak. I feel like a failure if I can't make it the whole time. I thought about not buying any yarn for Lent, too, but that would actually benefit me (less $ spent) instead of being much of a sacrifice, especially since I've got enough for several projects stashed away! I told Tony I was giving up alcohol. Then I changed it to "just martinis"; then to "just Bill's (next door neighbor who makes GREAT martinis) martinis", and so on till I was limiting myself to just 6 or so a day! And I'm NOT giving up knitting. No one around me would appreciate that sacrifice!

Anyway, glad you're ok. I've missed your posts.

chris (who realizes she should have sent this privately, but is not about to type it over again. Sorry!!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Catherine, dunno if I've met you before, but...um...sounds like we might have some things in common...like ailing hubbies (mine is a double amputee with kidney failure etc.etc. as a result of diabetes since age 7...) Knitting, quilting, reading, embroidery and THIS FORUM keep me sane!!

E-mail me anytime you need to chat...outside this venue, that is...

Blessings,

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  04:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Hi Marg, I don't think we have "met" - I used to post here fairly often but lately work and household stuff are getting in the way, plus I can either knit or post, the same limited pool of spare time has to cover both. My husband was diagnosed with terminal renal (kidney) cancer in July, 01 - he was given 3-6 months then, obviously he beat that timetable, but he's had precious few "good" days since then, he's almost completely housebound, so aside from work and church and the supermarket, so am I. I've been juggling my job and patient care, our two kids are away at college (one's a grad student, the other's a sophomore). None of us ever had a serious medical problem in our lives until Jack's diagnosis, so it was quite a lifestyle change, let me tell you. I know more about renal cancer than I ever wanted to learn about anything, ever - even for cancer, this is a particularly nasty, sneaky, resistant-to-treatment form. I learned to knit as a child, but hadn't touched it in years until the past few years when I was traveling on business and sitting around bored in airports (before husband's illness, obviously). Knitting truly keeps me sane - I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours knitting in doctors' offices, hospital rooms, surgical waiting rooms, etc. I don't know what I'd do without it, especially during some of his hospital stays. I'd be even crazier than I am by now, probably! I DID frog the Cotton Fleece pullover last night, once I got it into my head that it would be better worked in the round, it was inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  05:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
quote:
told Tony I was giving up alcohol. Then I changed it to "just martinis"; then to "just Bill's (next door neighbor who makes GREAT martinis) martinis", and so on till I was limiting myself to just 6 or so a day! And I'm NOT giving up knitting. No one around me would appreciate that sacrifice!

LOL! Yeah, I'm giving up buying yarn because I know it's my personal self-indulgence and my way of rewarding myself for a "bad day." Needless to say, I've built an obscene stash in the past couple of years since my husband got sick. I mean, it's embarrassing! So it's a real act of will not to let my fingers do the walking through my favorite online shops when I've had a bad day, and it really will take some self discipline to "shop the stash" only. I'm also giving up alcohol, but that's more due to my diet than spirituality - and I'll allow myself to cheat a bit on that one now and then.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  08:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Oh, Catherine!! Well, now we also have each other! Are you in the US? Here, in the Canadian medical system, despite all the b&c we hear about it, we have been relatively well cared for...esp. in hospital (everyone knows my hubby on the renal floor; he's been in for 2 months each of the last 2 years...)...We have Home Care to help, and only pay for part of it, and I have great private medical insurance that picks up the really expensive drugs which Alberta (public) Health Care doesn't cover...Also we have a blessed church family who help out, staying with Howard from time to time when I need to go out or get away, and bringing food that's quick to fix when I get home from work.

I still have my 17-year old at home, though he may be away for college next year (he graduates high school in May). My daughter (22) is away from home and working, very happy; she and her boyfriend visited this weekend, which was a real delight.

I do hope you are able to seek out and use some of the community resources available to you...I am sure you have explored everything. I caution you about feeling guilty for being on the "taking" or "receiving" end...don't worry. People love to help, and your turn to help will come later. My prayers are with you; keep on knittin', sister!

-- Blessings,

Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by