Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Online Shops - Questions and Favorites
 KnitPicks - great yarn, but the colors...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tricotine
Warming Up

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:09:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tricotine a Private Message
Am I the only one who loves KnitPicks yarns for their price and quality, not to mention the excellent service, but dislike several of the colors? Way too many turquoise, for one thing. And really weird combinations, especially in the sock yarns. Then, some basic colors like creams, blacks, beiges are seriously lacking in many of the yarn lines. Also, some colors are kind of "dated" -- I'm thinking of some green shades that look like they come straight from the 60's.

There is nothing I would like more if KnitPicks hired a color consultant to develop modern and refined shades for their (very wonderful) yarns.

Any comments? I'd love to know what you all think.

Brigitte

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  11:21:34 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
I really like some of the yarn color palettes (elegance, andean silk) but others practically repel me (sock landscapes, sock memories, shine). So far I have attributed this to my very limited color tastes, so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! They still have plenty to choose from that I like!

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

Tricotine
Warming Up

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  03:06:55 AM  Show Profile Send Tricotine a Private Message
Yes, it seems than when it comes to variegated shades especially, it's more a miss than a hit... I'm afraid the sock yarns would make my feet feel sick. And Shine Twist? Barf. I could go on and on. Thank goodness the solids aren't as bad; I especially love Andean Treasures's heathered colors and some shades of Suri Dream.

But, honestly, KnitPicks should really get the input of a color expert. If they had better colors, I think I would buy twice as much yarn from them.

quote:
Originally posted by Gelliott

I really like some of the yarn color palettes (elegance, andean silk) but others practically repel me (sock landscapes, sock memories, shine). So far I have attributed this to my very limited color tastes, so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! They still have plenty to choose from that I like!

Gelliott

Brigitte
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  05:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
I'm glad I am not alone! I am constantly put off by KnitPick's color choices, so I have never ordered this yarn that everyone raves about. I just cannot put work into yarn that has the ordinary colors of my oldest, cheapest remembered sweaters. Surely they can do better--I did send away for their color cards, which confirmed my opinion about the colors. I just figured I was alone in this opinion.

Nice to know there are others.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  05:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
shadow has some nice colors
I love the texture of the shimmer but I didn't like the way the happy dance pooled......
I have the turquoise so I will see what that looks like

I agree in part with you all.....some of the colors are barf making.....
some aren't bad....
and a LOT are just not there

I haven't tried the sock yarn yet......
so I can't talk about that

I liked the iris in the alpaca cloud and the autumn, but I really wish there were some cranberry or burgandy in that line Ditto for the shadown

basic navy, burgandy, grays.... true reds ( or blue reds for me)

and the shimmer AND the alpaca cloud both need a white or cream in them..... all laceweights do in my own opinion....
as I believe a goodly amount of lace is knit for babies and brides or even tables

vi
opinionated little cuss so early without coffee

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  06:13:20 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
Surely by now, they've gotten some feedback about the lack of neutral and subdued colors. I wonder how the brighter colors and color combinations sell because they've got to pay attention to their sales, even if they don't always listen to their customers.
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  06:58:13 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Colour is a very subjective thing - I can't think of any yarn store or catalog where I liked possibly more then 1/3 of the colour choices. I've done a number of projects with variagated yarns from KnitPicks - and had no problems with pooling - but pooling is very dependent on a number of factors - including stitch count, gauge, etc.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  07:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Knitpicks' taste level in color, or lack of it, has been mentioned many times on KR. Obviously whoever is responsible for color direction has background in the moderate or lower end market and is not "getting" the fact that Knitpicks has low prices but a higher end mailing list.

Elann, on the other hand, is very good with color on their private label collections. Just looking at their solid color sock yarn (most of the colors are now sold out) one can see that they understand the customer, offering neutrals, heathers, brights, and always black. I have bought almost every color at this point and each is beautiful. The color choices in their other private label yarns are also very good. The colors are pretty, they relate to the yarns, and they are balanced (you don't need to offer 4 greens, 3 yellows, and no beige in one yarn) as well as being the right shades and tones.

After using Knitpicks Andean Treasure in a not-so-great pink for a scarf I have revisited their website many times hoping for some new colors since I would like to buy more of this yarn but they never add or replace a color. I would at least add sage, dark red, camel and ecru to Andean Treasure which is a sportweight alpaca. I also keep going back to some of their other yarns but I find it impossible to select a color.

I am so glad that someone started this thread and I hope it catches the attention of Knitpicks.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  07:51:34 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I am not a fan of yellows, pinks, oranges and so I don't like those colors, but like MMario said it's really a matter of taste. I bought color cards for Wool of the Andes and Merino Style and there were enough colors that I thought I could choose from. For Fair Isle knitting, some of the colors might be ok in moderation.

I bought their sock yarn, Dancing (Swing), and was disappointed that it didn't look much like their catalog or online photo -- not enough blues. I like the way Parade knits up (and they make nice hiking socks) but there are only a couple of color combos that I would ever buy. But I think a lot of sock yarns are pretty goofy when it comes to colors anyway, not just KnitPicks. What I wouldn't give for just a nice conservative sock yarn that I could use for my husband!

I'm sure that they can figure out which colors aren't popular when they look at their inventory. I think they will eventually get it right.
Go to Top of Page

SweetKat
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  08:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit SweetKat's Homepage Send SweetKat a Private Message
Ditto to everyone's color concerns. I requested a catalog because I wanted to make sure my computer wasn't just distorting the color. But no, we're all correct, the color selection kinda sucks.

~Kaitlin
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
It's so funny, because I really like their colors! But I can't imagine knitting anything in cream, beige, camel, ecru or anything of that ilk, and I can't bear things that are heathered.

I especially love the 60s greens...

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/knitted.htm
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I have to say that I also love their colors - their solid colors, that is. Color tastes are very, very individual, and they just happen to please my personal palate.

The varigated shades, including the sock yarns, are awful, though. I agree that some of the combinations are just a bit strange. There are too many strong colors competing in many of them, and the ones I've seen in person have worked up very oddly.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
i like the 60s greens also, but am not a fan of Knit Picks colors in general. I bought the Palette sampler for a fair isle project and have a hard time enjoying knitting with it because there were so few colors that i actually liked. So the fair isle project languishes while i work on projects with yarn i enjoy. That said, one should know that i am not a bright-color person, so it really is a matter of personal preference.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
little miss messy hair's blog
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  09:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Holly put her finger on it -- their solids are all brights. No real gradations of color. Even their fairisle palette, if you look at their color wheel. You'll see they have their bright colors, and then go two shades lighter by adding white. No hue or tint by adding grays or blacks, no intermediate colors between the greens and blues, etc. I love fair isle that works its way through gradations of color and their yarn just doesn't provide that. I had the same response as those above to their sock yarn, and in fact any of their variegated, for the same reason -- jarring contrasts rather than subtle shifts.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Tricotine
Warming Up

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:18:03 AM  Show Profile Send Tricotine a Private Message
Well, I don't know if they've gotten feedback or not. I was just on their website, hoping to find an e-mail address so that I could let them know about this thread, but couldn't find one. There was a phone number though and I called and actually left a message for Kelley Petkun (owner and creative director) of Knit Picks. I mentioned in my message that we were having this discussion on Knitter's Review and that I would love to talk with her about their yarns. I hope she'll call back! And if she does, I will let you all know how it went.

quote:
Originally posted by ceecee

Surely by now, they've gotten some feedback about the lack of neutral and subdued colors. I wonder how the brighter colors and color combinations sell because they've got to pay attention to their sales, even if they don't always listen to their customers.

Brigitte
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Great idea to contact KnitPicks. Here are a couple of e-mail addresses that I have for people there.

Jasmine_Windnes@craftsamericana.com She answered a question I had about delaying shipments (until I would be in town).

Michelle_Laurito@craftsamericana.com She answered a question I had about the free samples they wrote so much about sending out.

Actually, they would be wise to do a search on KR to just see all the discussions about their yarns. This thread is not the first.

Go to Top of Page

Becky in MO
Seriously Hooked

769 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Becky in MO a Yahoo! Message Send Becky in MO a Private Message
Again, the colors are a matter of preference. But the thing I'm REALLY noticing lately in fashion industry today, is that colors REALLY are circulating around the colors KnitPicks are putting out.

NOt my favorite. But thank goodness my favorite color is blue and a great deal goes with blue.
Maybe it isn't the colors they are using, but the perspective that you are coming from and how to use the colors. Just a thought, so think about it. I have found myself opening my mind a bit.
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  12:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
I personally think that you get what you pay. The quality is not as good as some other brands of yarns. I am currently knitting a sweater with Artyarns Ultramerino 6 which is a worsted weight 100% merino wool. Knitpicks has has an equivalent 100% merino wool-Merino Style. Merino style seems to fuzz a lot. Ultramerino 6 is a dream to work with.

And yeah, I agree with the colors. Their variegation just isn't that pretty.

KC
http://boiknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message
Bright colors sell better than muted colors according to every LYS owner I've talked to. Someone must be buying Knitpicks variegated yarns, or they'd stop carrying them. I ordered some of the Sock Landscape yarn in two color ways that I normally do not like, and I was just blown away by how the yarn looked in person. It was gorgeous!! It looked much better in person than in the catalog or on the computer monitor.

All in all, I've been pleased with everything I've ordered from Knitpicks. The wool yarn is just fine for the basic knitting that I do. If I were trying to make an heirloom item, then I'd spend more, but for a sweater to wear on everyday occassions, Knitpicks is just fine. Ditto that for sock yarn.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  2:03:38 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
If these colors are in vogue these days, then I guess I'm just an old fogey. What can I say?
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  2:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I love the colors in Shadow and Alpaca Cloud, although I with there were more choices. I don't care for the Palette colors at all. I like heathery colors and Mission Falls type colors. I haven't worked with any of their variegated yarns.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth