Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 The city of falling angels
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  09:01:02 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
Well, thanks to a 5 hour wait at the auto-mechanics for new tires & winterization, I am 75% of the way through this. I really want to go to Venice now.

This is the book by the same guy (John Berendt) who wrote "Midnight in the garden of good and evil" It starts out with the fire at the Fenice (the last opera house) and takes the reader on a small tour of some of the people & palazzos mirroring Venice's cultural tradition & history (in some cases, the remnants of said cultural tradtion)

I'm not sure how I would compare it to his previous book. I hear he was more scrupulous in documenting his conversations for this one. And his characters are still colorful, but I'm not sure one can compare them. I wish the book had some photos of the places he is describing. All in all, I am enjoying it. Like I said before, I really wish I could go to Venice now. The book would have to enrich the experience.

There's some fascinating bits in there about Ezra Pound.

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  6:38:31 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Have you read Donna Leon's series set in Venice? I started a thread on it a couple of months back. I have not read J.Berendt, but I will look for his books. The first one in the Leon series is called Murder at La Fenice. I recommend them to you, definitely made me want to see Venice.
Chayah in NY
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4153 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  7:35:57 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I liked "Midnight in the Garden" quite a bit better, but I did like "City of Falling Angels" enough to be looking forward to reading it again. He is a great writer.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:56:35 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
I'm about half way through this book and loving it. I visited Venice last summer and the book just put me right back into this magical city! The writing is wonderful.
Gelliott
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?