Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 More inspiration from Banana Republic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
Right now they have beautiful chunky cabled hats and a scarf that was made with lengthwise ribs (they cast many, many stitches on and knit 4 rows of stockinette, then 4 rows of garter to make the rib, then stockinette, etc. THe only downside was it wasn't reversible... it all looked like garter or reverse stockinette from the back).
Then there was a scarf that looked like it was knitted with linen stitch, but I don't know how they got the diagonal look going.

One thing... when I look at these beautiful knitted things, I wonder if they are handknit and if there is some miserable person in a factory who has to do this tedious work all day for pennies. Knitting is labor-intensive even for someone who's very good at it. I almost feel more comfortable learning to make something myself (although I could never learn to sew for the life of me.)

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  5:32:22 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
I know what you mean, Pianogal - about wondering who makes these knitted items. Guess it's the same as for many items that come from overseas.

I've seen lots of knitted stuff lately at the stores, some nice and some pretty junky. Many of the prices are very reasonable -- when I think of making the same thing with my choice of yarn, the price is often at least as much. I just love the process of knitting, but also buy store knitted items. Some of the stuff that looks 'handmade' is done on machines now (so that it looks handmade)I've heard.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  5:45:07 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
Unless it says It's handknit on the label - it's probably done on a machine - especially if it's for a chain store. But I'm sure the machines are also not a one at a time thing. They have some hi-tech setup where they run off a couple hundred an hour or something like that, so whoever is operating the machine is just like someone working in any other job for the most part.

I still like to make my own knit stuff anyway, particularly scarves and hats, etc... It's so satisfying and I get to pick my own colors and be unique. :)

Angela
Go to Top of Page

mljan
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  6:35:48 PM  Show Profile Send mljan a Private Message
As far as the knitting machines, I was just reading an inspiring article on someone's blog (I think maybe the YarnHarlot's) about a woman who has gotten knitting machines and yarn donated for women in (?)Rwanda?? Oh gosh, somewhere very disadvantaged. What may seem like tedious work for pennies to us, might be a woman's only way to make money and support her family in some societies. (Though I do also worry about the children in factories, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  07:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
Are the machines able to cable? (Hmmm, that sounds like a good name for a knitting blog "Able To Cable!"
That is nice to know that perhaps they weren't handknit. They certainly looked handknit, but maybe that's because of the cables and the chunky, variegated yarn.

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?