Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 "behind the round"??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  11:15:08 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
Hello,

I'm trying to make a flower - the pattern is in the Patons supplement that is in Vogue Holiday Knitting. After you make the ring, you chain 3, slip stitch into ring, 5 times. Then it says working behind the chain 3 - you slipstitch, chain 1, and single crochet into slipstitch space. I can't for the life of me work out how you work behind the first set of 3 chains.

Sorry this isn't verbatim, but if you have the mag, it's in there.

If anyone could point me to a site that explains this (I think I've seen it somewhere), or explain it to me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I believe they mean - "keeping the chain three to the front of your work, slipstich, chain one, single crochet INTO THE ORIGINAL RING, making your single crochet between the slipstitches that define your chain three."

I could be wrong, but that is how I would do it.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  1:01:02 PM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
MMario thanks for such a quick reply and the explanation! I'll try it right now.

Such a simple explanation for something so, erm, simple.[blush]

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  02:43:07 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
Hey! I finally worked it out last night. I needed to go from the back to the front, UNDER the chain 3 loop, then over the original ring for the slipstitch and single crochet.

It was a little complicated but it makes sense now. I've never done an irish-style crochet flower before.

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  06:40:02 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
it is so much easier to *show* then to explain in words - especially since there are different styles of using the hook (I once was in a room of 6 crocheters - 4 of whom had been taught to crochet by the other two - and all six held the hooks and yarn differently and worked the stitches differently - but got the same results.)

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe