Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 The Plot Against America
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  07:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
Terrific book. I must admit I hadn't read anything by Roth in a very long time, but I'm going to go back now and see what he's done over the past two decades (shame on me). It's creepy and very plausible, especially given what my relatives say about their experiences of anti-Semiticism in this country in the 30s and 40s. (My grandfather and his brother, the sons of a very prominent Philadelphia manufacturer, found it necessary to change their last name to something that didn't sound Jewish.) The book is also exuberant and wildly alive, as you would expect of Roth. And he recreates the lost world he grew up in in astonishing detail. A real page-turner.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I haven't read Roth in a long time either; but, always enjoyed him when I did. I'll definately read this one based on your review- thanks Elaine. KL
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
A girlfriend of mine recommended this book, basically saying the same thing as you, Elaine. I have to admit I picked it up in the library and then put it back down -- it was a little too thick for me right now! But it's on the list...

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:28:03 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
Reading The Plot Against America made me want to read more Roth. I just devoured The Human Stain and American Pastoral, which I believe are his two most recent. Wonderful, both of them. Both the breadth of the canvas and the density of ideas are fascinating.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe