Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 ISO: Very bland, basic, plain quick bread recipe.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Does anyone have a very plain, bland, basic quick bread recipe? I want to use some spices from some Swedish yeast breads without having to make yeast bread, so I need a BORING quick bread recipe.

I've looked in my cookbooks and on the net but everything has bananas or apples or nuts or....

Anyone?

Thanks!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Here is a basic soda bread recipe. It makes two loaves:

6 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, you can sub milk with some lemon juice or vinegar in it--you just need to add something acidic so the soda can bubble happily and raise the loaves)

preheat oven to 375. Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the buttermilk/milk. Stir until it forms a ball. Knead lightly for two minutes. Divide it in half, and shape each half into a boule. Place loaves onto a greased sheet pan, cut a slit into the top of each, and glaze with egg or milk wash if you like. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Thanks, Lanea! When I give it a try I'll let you know how it goes! The anise, cardamom (sp?), orange peel and everything else that goes together is SOOOOOO yummy together but I just don't want to deal with a yeast bread anytime soon!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Or you could try adding the spices to a scone recipe instead. The best ones are the ones that call for buttermilk, not heavy cream, at least in my opinion. They're pretty similar to soda bread, actually.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Cool, thanks for the tip. I am used to dumping raisins or nuts or whatever into random quick breads but I tend to make ones that use spices and a lot of sugar and I wanted to start out more basic and plain.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  02:08:35 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
If you like homemade bread but don`t want to get involved in making it by hand, buy an inexpensive bread machine. Five minutes to load it...if that...then around four hours later you have great bread. I used to make my own bread quite a lot but it was more time consuming so I didn`t every day. Now I make 90% of the bread we eat in the machine, 5% shop bought and very occasionally bake by hand. Wonderful item.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Actually, I LOVE making bread, it's just that lately I haven't had time. I'm leery of getting a bread machine. For some reason I have some weird thing against them. It's not rational, but it's there...

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  07:20:47 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I love making bread by hand too. I love home made bread. But with two kids and being a part time single mum, I don`t have time to make bread every day, so it`s either the bread machine or shop bought bread. I used to think a bread machine was one of these expensive gadgets that sat in the kitchen gathering dust, but I was wrong. It`s like the attachment I have on my big Chef food mixer that peels potatoes...yup, it`s a slob thing to admit I hate peeling potatoes! But it means we eat more potatoes because I have the gadget, which can`t be bad.

Today I don`t need a bread to go with a savoury course, so I`m making honey and sunflower seed bread. The kids love that...they dip it into greek yoghurt for breakfast.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  07:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Well I bet if I hold off on getting one, someone will eventually get one as a wedding gift. (NO, we're NOT engaged yet, NO, we're NOT pregnant, Val...) Ha ha ha!

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  10:10:59 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Bread machine is actually the ONLY wedding gift we returned. We only have about a metre of counter space and that had to be used for other more useful things. We also have so many excellent bakeries that it didn't make sense for us, not to mention we rarely get through a loaf of bread before it goes moldy!

For me bread baking is all in the physical handling, which is why I still make bread by hand.

I know they can be a god send; my husband's aunt used to bake bread often until she got arthritis. Thanks to her bread maker she can still enjoy the food, although without the fun.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  11:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
Amanda -- try this lemon quick bread http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/LemonBread.asp It's very basic and can be dressed up many ways. If it is too sweet, Google on Lemon Tea Bread.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bag.com
www.heritagerecipe.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  11:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
popovers. very bland. eggs, milk, flour, salt, oil. tons of sites on them.

Craftiness is Sanity
The Last Thread
"Knitting is indeed manly. After all you spend a long time poking a rigid object through a flexible opening!" - Mokey
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  12:21:55 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
As someone with severe arthritis, I learned a few tricks to making bread. All that kneading is not necessary. There are other ways to bring out the gluten and allow it to develop. If anyone needs this information, let me know.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.