Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 NOT recommended: Knitter's Lib
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I spent a long time at the bookstore checking out a book called Knitter's Lib and I wouldn't recommend it. The premise behind the book is that she explains how techniques work, as well as why she does what she does in pattern instructions so you can learn how to modify and make your own design instructions.

Why wouldn't I recommend it?

First, most of the projects are crocheted. And I don't mean knitting with a bit of crochet or even crochetting with a bit of knitting, I mean flat out crocheted. Which is fine for a crochet book, but KNITTER'S is in the title. And not "crocheter's."

Second, everything is super boxy. She does this because she thinks that fitted garments are not urban enough. Now, I think a lot of us have discovered that EVERYONE usually looks better in something at least slightly fitted. (And I think the real reason she doesn't fit anything is in my fourth complaint.)

Third, in the instruction portion she called stranded knitting intarsia and has nothing on intarsia.

Fourth, very often she starts with casting on the most stitches possible and decreases down because she thinks increasing is too hard. Erm....I just find that wonky. Too hard??

Fifth, because she likes to decrease down, a lot of stuff is sized and shaped very strangly.

Sixth, in the beginning of the book she says that you'll find XL patterns because "big is beautiful" and yet none of the pattern go beyond a large. (At least I couldn't find any.)

If anyone else has seen this book, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  8:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I completely agree with everything you said. I looked through it (albeit not as carefully as you seemed to) and was overwhelmed by the amount of crochet (insert Seinfeldian Not that there's anything wrong here) and what was there wasn't particularly attractive.

I liked what she SAID her reasons the book would be work buying were... but then she didn't actually follow up on that at all.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  11:28:15 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Ditto-- I was really curious.. and then saw it this weekend in a bookstore. I think there are many other books (Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top comes to mind) that do a better job of explaining how to knit just about anything you want to create....

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  9:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
I felt the same way; it should have been called Crocheters' Lib. I guess it doesn't have the same ring to it...

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?