Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Hanne Falkenberg Design....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  3:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
It is turning into the project from hell.... I thought how hard could it be? It's all garter stitch with some short rows. I have knit, I have ripped, and knit and ripped, and counted and knit and short rowed. .....

Then I was almost done and once again I made a mistake and didn't notice until I knitted for a few days...lots of knitting and short rows counted. Frogging again....

I don't think it's all me, the way the pattern is written is a nightmare. If I ever attempt this style again I'm writing my own pattern. I really think I could do a lot better job. I am shocked in the way they crammed all the words with the tiniest font on 3 small pages. They charge plenty for the kits, one would think they could splurge on an extra piece of paper.

I'm knitting the Ballerina: http://www.knit.dk/ballerina.htm

It' knits "sideways" all in one piece and on a size 3 needle.

There is a picture of the project on my blog.

My DH thinks I'm out of my mind, he says he would have thrown the damn thing out by now. However I feel challenged now, I AM FINISHING THIS THING no matter how many times I frog!

Happy Knitting,

ana
Venice Beach, California

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/
And my favorite charity
http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
Well, at least you will have beautiful product at the end of it all- what a lovely garment!
Sometimes its the things that give the most frustration that give the most satisfaction once you finish them!
good luck!

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  5:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
I think you're doing a great job!! Keep at it.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  8:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I ordered this using birthday money and it promptly got put on the back burner.

I just pulled out the directions and read them for the first time. Let me say that I generally don't have much of a problem reading pattern directions, I chart and write up my own patterns (heck, often chart or write up and that's all that's needed), and I have even translated directions from Nordic languages, but sweet mother of knitting needles, this pattern is HORRIBLE.

The only reason I have HALF a clue what she's talking about is because my skirt, SHOCKING, from an IK issue, is worked with the same style of short rows. (Edit: "My skirt" makes it sound like I designed it, which isn't what I mean.)

Jeez, they include a real photo and a freakin' designer tag to sew in and they can't print the instructions more clearly than this????? I think I may just rewrite the instructions myself, ridge by ridge, including figuring the st counts per ridge. And I have NEVER had to write out a whole pattern row by row, not even when I was a newbie!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It's that bad? *Moves kit to the back of stash*
Hang in there, Ana! And if you do the rewrite, Amanda, would you mind letting us know if it helps?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  8:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
Amanda,
Rewriting the instructions is the only way to go. Take a look at the little edge she does all the way around in my opinion is not necessary and it just adds more confusion. The last 3 sts at the bottom don't add much to the look at all, I wish I had not done them.

Yes row by row I too typed it up in Word, each section so if I do it again I will have the "worksheet"

Keep in touch let me know how your project progresses.

ana
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  8:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Look at it, Glccafar, maybe it'll make sense to you but it really is a mess. Mr. Aerospace is cutting and rearranging pages for me (seriously, because it looks like it's supposed to be a booklet, but it's not, so page 4 starts before page 1, so to speak).

As for letting you know if it helps, I'm sure it will help! It can't hurt! Only feeding the pattern to my cat could hurt!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  8:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Those funky k, s2wyib? Don't do them? OK. I won't.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  9:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
*Digs pattern out of kit. Reads first page (phrased a bit oddly, but looks reasonable). Looks at second page (all goes to hell in a pretty striped handbasket). Returns kit to back of stash. Gives thanks that the newly begun Koigu Keepsake shawl should last for a good long while.*

Yikes. If anyone happens to be interested in sharing their reworked version of this, I'd be forever grateful not to have to reinvent this particular wheel. Because... yikes.
(I'd be happy to furnish proof that I own this pattern... perhaps by quoting the pattern on a particular line of a particular page via PM?)
Anyway, again, good luck!
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  10:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
Yes those funky k, s2wyib...I personally don't care for the look but you might try it on a swatch and decide. Also be sure to make a gauge swatch, (my least favorite). I thought that if I have a kit and the yarn and the pattern I would just follow what is suggested. Not exactly, it depends how tight or loose you knit. My sweater is small even though I'm following the large size because I knit very tight. So I really could have used a size 4 needle instead of the size 3 I used.

Hope this helps.

ana
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I finished! It took me a month and a half, I started it around Halloween.

It is stunning and I know I will love wearing it for a long time. The style is ageless, but if I do it again I will rewrite the pattern. I wore it yesterday and had many compliments.
I will be making changes, I don't like the short front, the sleeves could be a little longer and as I said above I don't like the bottom 3 stitches, I much prefer adding a "hem". Also I find the middle of the back is too wide, I omitted about 4" out of the middle of the back and it fits just right.

I will post pictures.
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
YIPPIE!!! Congratulations!

I can't wait to see your pictures.
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I have posted pictures: http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
That looks really cool! Congratulations on your perseverance - it really paid off! Now...where did I throw my Mermaid in disgust one day?...slinks off to have a look.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

lamknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  5:14:21 PM  Show Profile Send lamknits a Private Message
I have started, and re-started the "Anything Goes Poncho" from Creative Knitter's Sept. 2005 edition. Finally, I sat down and re-wrote the pattern instructions. Although there were specific pattern corrections posted on the CK website, they did not address the very poorly written instructions which appear to have been written for someone for whom English was a third language. If anyone is interested in knitting this poncho -- and it's awfully cute, let me know and I'll share my re-write.
Leslie in Beautiful Bucks County Pa, where it sure looks a lot like Christmas in Vermont!
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  9:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Petrova-
this is drop dead gorgeous!
Good job keeping after it with all the frustrations - wow.
and, although I am green with envy, I think I'll pass on trying it.. sigh.. sure is lovely though!

Amanda- did you ever finish yours?

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:29:51 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Petrova, Amanda and any others - I admire you so much for sticking with troublesome patterns. Petrova - that is simply gorgeous, stunning, unique (I could go on). Why don't you post a photo of you wearing it. It's the kind of garment that shows best worn. Well done!
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  1:14:52 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
That's gorgeous! I hope you feel very proud of yourself for sticking with it to the end. I probably would have thrown it all out, but then, I would have that beautiful sweater either. Very nice.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I have now rewritten the instructions and made my modifications, (probably to Hanne's horror)
I'm knitting another sweater. Yes I'm a glutten for punishment!

This time it seems a lot easier. Once I got rid of the silly bottom bit, and replaced it with slip the last bottom edge stitch purlwise and knit the first stitch in the next row in the back "leg". This gives a lovely even edge and I don't have to count each row and pay attention to the bottom as well as the short rows and stripes.

This in my opinion is a good alternative and it looks really nice also it's easier to pick up stitches for the bottom edge if I want to add an extra edge. That bottom bit just complicates the whole pattern that is already complicated and badly written.

I also knitted a potato chip scarf to go with the sweater with black and sage one row edge. It looks just great. I will post pictures.

I didn't think the little bit of black yarn I had left over was enough so I sent an eMail to Hanne I tried to get an extra ball of black yarn, and got firm NEGATIVE. (I think I upset her to even dare to ask.)

She does not sell yarn!
Only the Kit!
So if I want an extra ball of yarn I have to buy a new kit!

It turned out that I had enough yarn left over to do this (it's a very skinny potato chip scarf but looks ok). It was very close though I knitted up almost to the last inch of the yarn. I would have liked a little more yarn...oh well....

(Potato Chip scarf if easy but if you want to have the pattern: http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50355220# )

Thank goodness there are so many other brands of yarn out there!

Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
Congrats on finishing! It is beautiful, though it's too bad the pattern was so poorly written.

firymist
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I have posted pictures of the finished sweater and the potato chip scarf and the new sweater I'm making:

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.