Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Cashmere/Boyfriend Scarf -- what am I doing wrong?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NYNicole
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile Send NYNicole a Private Message
I have now started and ripped out the Men's Cashmere (aka Boyfriend Scarf) from LMKG about 5 times. Even though I now have the corrected pattern from Purl's website, what I'm knitting (while attractive) looks nothing like the picture in the book. The picture seems to show what looks like a waffle-like weave, but mine looks like a variation of a basic ribbing pattern. The pattern I am following (which appears on the corrections part of their website) is:

Row 1: K1, P1 to end, K1
Row 2: Knit all

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. As I said, it's nice, but it really doesn't seem to match up with the picture in the book, which I like more. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

--Nicole

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
One issue may be the number of stitches. If you didn't cast on exactly the number of stitches called for in the pattern, the stitch pattern won't work.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

NYNicole
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:09:36 PM  Show Profile Send NYNicole a Private Message
Thanks, Lissa. I actually did increase the number of stitches on this most recent attempt (from 21 to 25) because the scarf seemed too narrow and the pattern seemed only to require an odd number of stitches. However, even when I was working with the specified 21 stitches, it still didn't look the way it looks in the book. It's making me crazy, because it's a very basic pattern. I actually called Purl, and although they were nice enough, they didn't really know what to say to me -- they said the scarf is a variation on a rib pattern. But the picture in the book --- and those I've seen on blogs and other postings -- shows a distinct waffle-weave effect that does not appear in my version. Unless it's all an optical illusion.

--Nicole
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2209 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:25:25 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
it could be gauge as well - try going down in needle size. That may make the purls more distinctive.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:34:48 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
How many rows are you knitting before giving up? Many patterns, especially rib patterns don't really look right until you've knit a couple of inches of length.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

NYNicole
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  1:53:07 PM  Show Profile Send NYNicole a Private Message
Thanks, everyone. I actually had knitted more than 3 inches the first time before I ripped it out, so I don't know if that accounts for the problem I'm having. Perhaps I will try to go down a needle size and see what, if any, difference that makes. I appreciate the input.

--Nicole
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The only thing I can think of is that you might be reading the pattern wrong, and that's based on how you typed it.

For a variation on a rib, it should be (K1, P1) to one stitch from end, K1
then Knit back.

So you would K1,P1, K1,P1, K1,P1, K1,P1.... etc. K1.
Then K back

What you typed was K1, P1 across row, K1...
which would have you K1, P,P,P,P,P,P... K1
and K back.

Does that make sense?

Could have been just a typo in how you asked the question, but just in case....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

NYNicole
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile Send NYNicole a Private Message
I wish it were as simple as that, RosebyAny... it was a typo on my part (I've been doing K1,P1,K1,P1, across the row, ending with a K1, and then knitting back). It's an utter mystery to me why it looks so different but can only conclude that it must be some kind of optical illusion that makes it look SO very different than the picture in the book. Thanks for all the efforts to solve the mystery, though!

--Nicole
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Nicole,
It is a rib pattern. what you should see is
v-v-v-v-v-v-v
-------------
v-v-v-v-v-v-v
-------------
v-v-v-v-v-v-v
-------------
on one side and
-v-v-v-v-v-v-
vvvvvvvvvvvvv
-v-v-v-v-v-v-
vvvvvvvvvvvvv
-v-v-v-v-v-v-
vvvvvvvvvvvvv
on the other
where v is the 'v' u get from a knit stitch and - is the bar u get from a pul stiitch
This will give you a column of knit ('v') and a column of seed stitch (one 'v' over one '-' over one 'v' etc)
The reason this may look like a waffle stitch may depend on the yarn. Some yarns will twist stitches a certain way giving the illusion of a waffle pattern, or should i say the waffle pattern is clearer.

celia

Read my blog, or buy my handmade stuff. Also destashing here.
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
Here is a picture of my scarf, done in the k1, p1 (broken rib?) pattern that is on the website. I also found that mine wasn't turning out so much like the one in the book, but after I blocked it it looked a lot more like it. Mine was done in knitpicks 'decadence', a chunky alpaca yarn. The 'right side' is on the left and the 'wrong side' is to the right in the picture. By the way, I also cast on 25 stitches. Take a look at this one done in a lighter weight yarn as well: http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000281.html

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/tejer/ba223c1d.jpg[/IMG]

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  9:03:19 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Hi Nicole -- it's not just you! I had the exact same experience (both before and after blocking) -- mine didn't look anything like the picture in the book or the one in the link posted by tejer. I think her beige scarf posted above is closer to reality than the other photos. In the process, i decided that i liked the wrong side better! I ended up making a "sampler scarf" using this pattern and another reversible stitch pattern that i found here on KR (posted by trekcelt).
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If you like it, keep going. If not, maybe it is not the pattern you were hoping to find and you need to keep looking.
Happy knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

ArizonaYarnObsession
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  6:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArizonaYarnObsession's Homepage Send ArizonaYarnObsession a Private Message
Where is this scarf pattern? It is a great scarf for a man.

I am bummed because I have been making one in a 5 knit, 2 purl rib. And it is curling in on the sides even though I started with two knit stiches on each row to try to prevent this. I just hope that when I block it, it will be ok. Because it looks nice other wise. It is a pretty two color (jeans like) merino wool yarn and is a present for a friend.

Lisa in Arizona

Please Visit My New Knitting Blog!!
http://arizonayarnobsession.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  8:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
Hey Lisa--I have a K5 P2 rib that curls like crazy too. I gave up on it. This pattern is from Last MInute Knitted Gifts, but you don't need to get the book, because the pattern is WRONG in the book.

Check out this page: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/book_corrections

The pattern is listed under men's cashmere scarf. I believe this is just a broken rib pattern.

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

knittingdoc
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdoc's Homepage  Send knittingdoc a Yahoo! Message Send knittingdoc a Private Message
Nicole,
I knit a broken rib pattern scarf with heavy worsted weight yarn using size 10.5 needles. It came out very loose and airy and when I blocked it, it looked waffled rather than ribbed, from both rs and ws. Hope you'll find the right combo of yarn and needle size.

Happy knitting!
Mary
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  12:34:39 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
MaryinMaine -- inquiring minds are going to want to know what pattern you used (or stitch pattern) that gave such great results ;-))) Ad might there be a photo we can see too?
thanks!
claire
Go to Top of Page

knittingdoc
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  7:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdoc's Homepage  Send knittingdoc a Yahoo! Message Send knittingdoc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rather be knitting

MaryinMaine -- inquiring minds are going to want to know what pattern you used (or stitch pattern) that gave such great results ;-))) Ad might there be a photo we can see too?
thanks!
claire

Claire, I hope you can see the image here. I used k1,p1 rib on ws and k across on rs on my poncho on odd number of stitches. The scarf, I gave it away without taking a photo. I'm not so sure about the waffle-y texture anymore, but I steamed it "well" before seaming. I like the way it looks, so that's all that matters, right!![:00] I'm not a big poncho fan, but I knit this up in one weekend and it keeps me warm without bulk when I go to conferences.

Happy knitting!
Mary
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  11:31:58 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
MaryinMaine -- thanks for the info. Your poncho is lovely. Those colors will go with everything!
Happy Knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  06:15:41 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
tejer--thanks for posting the link to the errata for the book--there are several patterns I had been eyeing that have corrections! It has become one of my favorite books.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  07:35:16 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Wow, that's a lot of errata. GRR.

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

ribbit
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  8:39:36 PM  Show Profile Send ribbit a Private Message
Hi. I read on a blog (don't remember which one, sorry!!) that the corrected version of this scarf rolls very badly. The photo showed the scarf rolled up so much that it looked like a tube. Have any of y'all experienced this as well? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  8:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
I have to say, the blue one (the one link goes to) in my opinion, looks totally different than the one above (grayish) or others I have made in that same stitch. I have to say, and I am no conspiracy therorist, but the dark blue one looks much more "wafflish" and much differnt than the one above.

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?