Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 I have the Aran Knitting book!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  7:10:46 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
And no, I did not pay $$$$ on Ebay. I did a little research and found that even though my library did not have the book (or the four county exchange system they participate in), they got from another library in the state. Hurray!

I must say, it is an amazing book. I did not expect it to be so informative and instructional in nature. I think this really sets it apart. There are only 14 patterns in the entire 180 pages, but the section an how to design your own Aran expands that number to as many as you want. Great pattern charts and written instructions. The research is very interesting, especially the section on museum pieces.

If ever there was I book I'd be tempted to "lose", this would be it...but I couldn't live with myself knowing others wouldn't be able to enjoy the book after me...and there's that little matter of Knitters' H*ll in the afterlife!

I have 3 weeks to absorb it, and then it's someone else's turn.

So, if you want to treat yourself to an amazing book, this is one way to do it, albeit temporary, but you can't beat the price! Did I mention it cost me all of 25 cents for the special order?!

Back to the book...

Beth

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  7:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Which aran book?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  7:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
Oops, sorry! The Alice Starmore book.
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  08:55:50 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
Funny, I did the same thing - inter library loan is great. This book is amazing. I've been mildly tempted to "lose" this book as well, but I would also feel terrible stealing from a library. Enjoy your three weeks! I will be.

Shannon
my blog:
http://yarnandchocolate.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  09:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Her fair-isle book (that's also out of print and going for big bucks on Amazon) is equally amazing. Do you suppose they'll be reissued any time soon?

J

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:00:22 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
J, I've been eyeing the Fair Isle book myself. I will be picking up a copy from the bookmobile tomorrow. I've heard it's wonderful and have been debating whether or not to take the plunge and buy a used copy for $$$$$. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
I just *know* that if I were to ever break down and buy these books on Ebay, that would guarantee they would be reissued within 6 months! The Fair Isle book is next on my inter-library loan list...so many beautiful colors!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
I also couldn't believe that my library had this book and a couple other of Starmore's. They are fabulous. Aran Knitting is just the definitive work on the subject for knitters.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  2:17:08 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
From what I've heard Aran Knitting will not be republished. There's all kinds of legal wranglings, paranoid ravings and lunacy, plus discontinued yarns. I have her Fair Isle book and I only wish I had bought 2 when I had the opportunity.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:16:11 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I want to commend you on resisting the temptation to “lose” the book. I worked in a university library for many years and it was hard every time we lost something that was unique or irreplaceable because we knew that no one would ever be able to benefit from using it in the future. It is even more of a problem when the book was borrowed on Interlibrary Loan.

When something is borrowed on Interlibrary loan, the borrowing library agrees to be responsible for the actual cost of replacement in the event of the item being lost by the person requesting it. If the item is lost (or “lost”) then the library that loaned to book will determine what it would cost for them to replace the book and send a bill in that amount to the library that borrowed the book. I don’t know what the current market value for a Starmore book is but if it was $300 then that would be what the lending library would charge the borrowing library plus processing fees. The library that borrowed the book would attempt to collect that amount from the person who lost the book but even if they were unsuccessful they would still be obligated to pay that amount to the library that lent the book out of their own budget.

The repercussions would be that if the person wanted to retain his/her borrowing privileges he/she would have to pay the amount. If not, the library would have to pay it out of their book buying budget, reducing the number of new books they could buy. The library that loaned the book would most likely decline to loan the replacement copy to another library in the future.

Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
I just borrowed the Aran and fair isle books- but am yet looking for the celtic one. That book was on the coffee table at the LYS, and I now NEED to knit several of those sweaters.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
nevermind- I looked at amazon, they have the celtic one!
silly me.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I just picked up the Fair Isle book at the library. It had a sticker on the back that said it cost $34.95. I told the librarian how valuable the book was. She said that if I lost it, I would only have to pay $34.95. I looked at her and said, "Don't tempt me." She said that I looked honest. Of course I would never accidently on purpose lose the book. But it is very nice.

Now I have to study it and decide whether or not I want it badly enough to spend the big bucks. Fortunately (or not), the husband is starting to ask questions about what I might want for our anniversary/holiday. He has now seen the book so he knows which one it is.

BTW, I wrote Taunton Press to ask if they might be republishing the book. Stay tuned. . .
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  05:59:27 AM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
I too, found it amazing the library did not ask for some sort of "deposit", ie; my firstborn or a credit card number!

Of course, I wasn't serious about "losing" the book...I honestly would just hate myself! Plus, I'm the world's worst liar, so I could never carry it off at the circulation desk. Finally, I also worked at a library, and appreciate how hard they work to spend our tax dollars in a fair manner for everyone. As someone who moved recently and didn't have internet for a month, the computers at the library were a God-send. The $$$ at commercial internet places was pretty high.

Thank goodness for library, so everyone can enjoy OOP books, and for the rest of Starmore books...I'm buying what's in print while I can!

Back to Aran Knitting...

Beth
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I sent Taunton Press an e-mail about the Alice Starmore Fair Isle book and they wrote back to tell me there are no plans to reprint the book. [:((]

I wonder if someone offered them money for the rights to reprint the book if they would.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my copy from the library. I am sorely tempted to copy every single page of it so that I have it! I know it's not right and I'm just blabbing away about that. But this is just criminal!
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
Well, I say, since it is out of print, and so ridiculously expensive to buy, I would not feel bad about photocopying those patterns which I intend to work on, for my own purposes. It would be quite another story to sell said photocopies, but for personal use, I think its perfectly acceptable.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  9:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
I'm picking my copy up at the library this week. I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  07:27:48 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Our local library system has a few of these coveted books, which I check out once a year or so. At least one of them has gone missing, and I'm waiting for that to happen to the Aran Knitting, too.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why these books are not put back into print. It just does not make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
There have been some discussions here regarding Alice Starmore and her legal battles. I suspect that people may be gun shy about dealing with her these days. For more information:

http://www.girlfromauntie.com/journal/index.php/2002/the-alice-chronicles-part-one
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe