Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Avoiding underarm holes on seamless tops
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  7:50:46 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Every time I make another seamless top, of any sort, I end up with small holes where the sleeves attach to the body. Mostly, if I'm grafting the underarm stitches together, I'll take a couple of stitches with the yarn in the needle, but I'd like to try to avoid the holes in the first place. Lately, I've been attaching the sleeves with a three needle bind off, and the holes are still there.

Any ideas? Off the top of my head, I'm currently experimenting with picking up the yarn between the last body stitch and first underarm stitch, and knitting it together with the underarm stitch. Don't have results yet, but interested in everyone else's take on it.

Thanks!

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  9:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Have you considered picking up stitches around the armhole (after you sew the shoulders and sides up) and knitting the sleeves down? Not only will you not have holes, the sleeve gets easier as it gets longer, and you can try it on periodically to see how much more you need to knit - perfect sleeves every time!

Lissa
You may be right - I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Billy Joel
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  10:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Hm... See, I don't like sewing seams, so I make a lot of seamless tops: knit three tubes, join 'em, and then go from there. Think of the circular yoked fair isle sweaters we all wore years back, or the big lopi circular yokes that are popular again. That's the sort of thing I usually make, in order to avoid seams. Picking up stitches to knit the sleeves down wouldn't work for that sort of top.

Thanks for your input, though, and I did make a few years back with the sleeves knit down from the top. I just prefer the seamless route.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  11:33:00 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I make almost all my sweaters the seamless way. To avoid the holes by the underarms I do 2 things. First I use waste yarn instead of holders because I can adjust the length of the holder and avoid putting stress on the end stitches. Second, I fill in any holes with extra stitches on the first row and then go back to the correct amount with k2tog on subsequent rows, trying not to remove too many in one row. Most of the time I can get by with only 1 or 2 extra stitches.

When knitting from the top down, I don't bind off underarm stitches, I put them on a holder and then pick them up later. From the botton up I use a 3 needle bind off for those stitches.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I have a totally seamless sweater from Patons that's doesn't require any sewing at all. If you're knitting 3 tubes and then attaching them together, you're still sewing.

The ones I knit from the top down start at the collar and you knit a raglan yoke & part of the raglan sleeve tops at the same time. When you get to the underarm area, you put those stitches on a holder, finish the body and then pick up the stitches on the holder and knit in the round from the top of the sleeve down to the cuff. No sewing in sleeve or picking up stitches that are bound off since they're all on the holder waiting to be knit. I've never had a hole happen with these sweaters.

If you do tend to get holes, Fran's suggestion is a good one. Pick up an extra stitch where the hole would occur and then when you work your first round, just do a K2tog to get rid of the extra stitch. This gets rid of the hole and your sleeve will look fine. You can hide almost anything in the underarm

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

I have a totally seamless sweater from Patons that's doesn't require any sewing at all. If you're knitting 3 tubes and then attaching them together, you're still sewing.

The ones I knit from the top down start at the collar and you knit a raglan yoke & part of the raglan sleeve tops at the same time. When you get to the underarm area, you put those stitches on a holder, finish the body and then pick up the stitches on the holder and knit in the round from the top of the sleeve down to the cuff. No sewing in sleeve or picking up stitches that are bound off since they're all on the holder waiting to be knit. I've never had a hole happen with these sweaters.

If you do tend to get holes, Fran's suggestion is a good one. Pick up an extra stitch where the hole would occur and then when you work your first round, just do a K2tog to get rid of the extra stitch. This gets rid of the hole and your sleeve will look fine. You can hide almost anything in the underarm

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl

You're not really sewing, but doing what you do in reverse. You knit the body up to where the sleeves would join. Then knit the sleeves to the same point. Then you put all 3 pieces on the one circular needle and knit them around, forming the yoke and raglan sleeve tops. You graft the underarm hole. The one sweater I did like this, the underarm hole got stretched into a huge chasm by the time I was finished. I had a heck of a time grafting it together. This time I will tie my waste yarn holding the body stitches to the yarn holding the sleeve stitches so the area can't stretch out of shape while I finish the yoke. I hope that will solve the problem.

Anita, learning by experiment

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by