Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Prices are nowhere to be found!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I like yarn stores where one can see the price of each yarn *clearly*: it might be written on the skein tag, below the cubby in which the yarn is stocked or there could be a price list posted on the wall.

Today, I went to a store where I couldn't tell the price of the majority of the yarns. I looked at a lot of skeins, on the cubbies, on the wall... no prices to be found. (Not to mention that some of the cubbies are super-high so you have to ask the salesperson to get them for you)

Of course, I can ask the salesperson for the price but it's kind of uncomfortable (at least for me) to go "how much is this?" "It's X dollars" "Oh, sorry, then I won't take it".

Did you ever go to a LYS like that?

--Minh

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:41:23 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I haven't and if I did, doubt I'd go back again. That's a pet peeve of mine but luckily I've been in very few stores that were like that.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Yes, I've been to several like that. The shop owners THINK that it saves them time by not pricing the balls of yarn, but the pressure and frustration between customers and the staff aren't worth it IMO. I put up with this at my favorite shop (which at least posts little signs near the yarn most of the time), but I avoid another that refuses to post prices.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Yes there is one in Melbourne that not only has no marked prices but also has signs saying do not open packets - there is no wool out for you to feel. You have to have an assistant with you to touch/get a price on anything.

Once was enough - I never went back.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  03:38:03 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I loathe yarn shops with no prices visible. I`ll ask if I really want the yarn, but it certainly reduces my spontaneous buying a lot!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  05:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
We label each and every skein of yarn we stock, because you're right, it's a pain to have to follow someone through the shop and tell the price of each yarn. We also have info cards going up this week - little cards that have the gauge, content, weight, price, etc on them. Larger print than the price tag, for those who can't see little numbers.

I too have been to shop that don't price, and I hate them just as much! It really didn't take me long to make the info cards up, and if I can do it (with a second part-time job, 4 kids under 13, a handicap son with daily therapy, and mom as my business partner (hi mom!!)) then anyone can.

Anyhoot - Has anyone seen any display cards like this that they really liked? Is there any info that would be good on them that I may have forgot?

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  06:34:47 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Irish Ewe

Anyhoot - Has anyone seen any display cards like this that they really liked? Is there any info that would be good on them that I may have forgot?

Not precisely labelling, but I like to see a swatch of a particular yarn knitted up on the most common recommended needle size hanging next to any unusual yarns. Many yarns look great on the ball and terrible knitted up, and vice versa.

I like to look at the sample garments as well, and it`s nice to see "This sweater takes 14 skeins for size 36" at X per skein" on an attached label. This is especially effective at encouraging me to impulse-buy, if I notice that a particularly nice garment is going to be cheaper than I might have thought to knit! And I`ve bought many, many yarns for scarves and hats because of this!

Oh, and if there`s a free pattern for a particular yarn I like to see one copy hanging in a polypocket right next to the yarn. Saves asking.

I`m sure you do all this anyway, Irish Ewe. I`d love to visit your shop one day, if the mythical trip to America ever materialises!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  07:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
There are two shops convenient to me and one has nothing priced. That is coincidentally also the one where the staff/owner have the personalities of dishrags and barely audibly grunt as you walk in and offer no further assistance. The last time I was in there I brought about eight different skeins to the counter for prices. All w ere out of my budget so I left them on the counter. I then found one other I liked which I also had to get a price for. It was in my budget so I bought it to make a purse. I told the owner that if the skeins had been marked, or even if the cubbies had been marked then I would not have had to create the work of returning them. She rolled her eyes at me and said they had recently moved to this location. This was during their 1 year anniversary sale. I haven't been back as the customer service sucks.

The other LYS has friendly staff. Helpful staff. Most items priced on the cubbies. And they get my business weekly.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
I get bugged by stores that don't have prices on their skeins...or at the very least a card hanging on the cubby with the information and price. I do like the cards with all the info on them...in larger print so I don't have to pull out reading glasses to read the label...with content, gauge, needles size, amount on skein, etc.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I think it's a fabulous idea to have info cards posted next to the yarn! I've not seen it in person, but having worked at a LYS I know that there are many, many customers who just don't understand reading ball bands. Posting it in clear terms - and standardizing the info for all yarns - is a great idea.

I also like to have small swatches - usually the standard 4" square - posted next to info about the yarn. I know it's a huge pain for the LYS, and it does mean marking an entire ball out of stock, but it does help the consumer. My all-time favorite has small swatches of as many yarns as they can - even those considered to be basics. After all, not only does yarn often look different when it's made up, but it also feels different.

Just a note about those free patterns - one of the two LYS's here had a huge problem with people coming in, collecting all of the free patterns, and then not purchasing a thing. It's better for most shops to keep those patterns in a folder behind the register because they really are supposed to be incentive to buy the yarns they go with. Of course, the staff has to be really good about telling people about the pattern and then providing it! (This one is.)

Kristin

PS. As to the original topic, we are fortunate to not have a problem with this type of shop in my area - so I've not ever seen it done. I can really sympathize, though, because I know how annoyed I would be!
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:27:47 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
It annoys me when the price is on the cubbyhole...at the LYS in my area that does it the numbers are sooo small it's hard to read!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:58:19 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
I really like having the price on each skein. That said, I also hate it when the price tag is so BIG that it covers up any important info on the paper label so that I can't tell the gauge or even the fiber content. I know why my lys does it though. They then have a common UPC scanner for the yarn so it is super easy to ring up and keep track of inventory. I just wish they were better at tag placement. I also like having the price on the cubbies in addition to each skein. It sounds like my lys should set up a card system with all relevent info like The Irish Ewe above. I leave a shop pretty quick if no prices are posted. I'm shy and don't like having a shop keeper following me around or having to search for one anytime I want a price check.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I was just going to make that same point, Caeebe! I like labels on the shelves (Clear, LARGE labels) rather than on the balls. I don't remember who was telling me about a shop in my area that labelled yarns covering up some information - it was sock yarn, and she couldn't see if it was 50 or 100g. When she asked, they didn't know the answer, but just said 'Oh, that's enough for a pair" - it may well have been, but if they didn't know if it was 50 or 100g, how would they know that?

I like to see the name of the yarn clearly, along with weight, meter/yardage, recommended gauge, fiber content, wash-ability, and a sample swatch when possible. One shop I know puts labels up of SOME of their yarns, not all, and the labels are written in hand and in pencil or other light colored impliments - Very tough to read! (it's my least favorite shop, so I rarely go in there anyway - this is the place that when I asked for sock needles they said they didn't see a need to carry anything that small, I should go to AC Moore. I took their advice.)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I ahve never been to a LYS that has each ball or skein individually amrked. None of the LYS have UPS scanners either. I much prefer having a price list posted in the shop instead of each item being priced, just like in a grocery store.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
It's great to see so many answers - thanks!! I don't understand why LYS do not put prices if it's such a big turn-off for their customers... I don't think that I'll go back to that particular yarn store, especially since part of the inventory is ordered by color which can make a search time-consuming.

Irish Ewe - the sample cards I have seen sometimes include the number of skeins required for a x by y inches scarf or a basic sweater in size z (as Val said, it can really motivate!). I really like seeing swatches, especially for variegated yarns since it can be hard to know how the color variations look like when the yarn is knitted or how short the color periods are.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I figure if they don't post prices, either they don't want to sell the yarn or they are embarrassed by what they're asking. I leave.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

SweetKat
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit SweetKat's Homepage Send SweetKat a Private Message
This reminds me of what my mom always says when there's not a price, "hmm no price tag, must be free!" We laugh and then leave without making a purchase.
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  7:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
I like having the prices on the skeins or on the cubbies. But Irish Ewe, if I could go to a YS with info cards like you mentioned and/or swatches I would think I had gone to YS Heaven! My LYS is very good about pricing, although sometimes the signs on the cubbies do fall off. I don't mind asking though, because the owner absolutely does not pressure me to buy anything. I almost always do buy something, even if it's only needles or other small notions because I respect the time she has given me. And I want her to be there next week and next year!

Irish, I wish I could come to your shop, it seems like a very charming place to knit!

pieheart

"If your toast always lands butter-side down, plan ahead. Butter the
other side instead."

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:08:51 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
One LYS I go to used to only have prices in a binder behind the counter. The employees were all very nice...which meant that they were usually knee-deep in helping someone with a project, or special-ordering a color, or some other thing that kept me from feeling like I could ask them to look up prices. Boy, was I glad the last time I was there when about half the yarn had price tags...looked like they were working their way through the store.

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

JulieB
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
521 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JulieB's Homepage Send JulieB a Private Message
I have three LYS's I go to regularly. They all have their own foibles:

Store 1 (1 block away from my office - too much temptation!) has the occasional labels on the shelves, but they're not kept up-to date, and the yarn moves far more often than the labels do. No markings on the yarn itself. Annoying....

Store 2 has no prices anywhere. Very frustrating. However, they're in a fairly wealthy area so perhaps their regulars don't care how much things are....

Store 3 has individual prices on each ball. Love that! However, they are organised by colour.... Pretty, but annoying if you want to know what other colours the perfect yarn comes in.

Oh, for the perfect LYS!

Julie.

My blog: http://julies_stuff.blog.ca/main/
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  06:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
Julie,

Recently I went to a very lovely shop in New Haven, CT that had no prices on the labels AND the yarn arranged by color. The shop was cute, the wall of yarns was beautiful, and the staff was helpful ... but even under those conditions I wouldn't have bought anything except that I was with a very vocal fiend of mine who found a scarf on display that she loved. I offerred to knit it for her and she basically got the salesperson to go through a lot to find the right yarns. I might go back again, however I might also consider emailing ahead of time so they expect me and my needs when I come.

Take care, Bev
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
OTN: KR Gift Exchange project for Andrea "mtnknitter", plain normal socks, Elizabeth I "Dainty Bess" lace scarf
2005 FO Count: 10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.