Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 New wheel need a little help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  2:41:44 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
I have a wheel I inherited and have no clue what it is or what it can do. Searching the internet it appears to be a traditional type, Ashford looking.

What should I look for to help me determie what its all about?

Any help would be appreciated. It appears in great shape, but the treadle part has a torn piece of leather, which looks replacable, but not sure how it atttaches.

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  2:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
You might contact Dave at the Merlin Tree (I don't remember his website, but know I've found it through Google)

He's FABULOUS - a great guy, knows more about wheels than anyone should, and is unfair with his prices - that is, I don't think he charges enough. He'd be able to tell you what kind of wheel it is, and make any replacement parts or repairs needed, if it isn't readily available.

Good luck!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:14:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jim a Private Message
If it looks like an Ashford tradional wheel, chances are that is what it is since there are so very many of them that have been made and used. If it is a strap looking piece of leather that attaches the treadle to the footman( piece of wood that conncts the treadle to the wheel) it probably is fastened with two screws, one end to the treadle and one end in a split in the footman. If so any piece of old belt or animal collar leather can be cut and used and fastened with wood screws. For repair leather I use calf collars from the local feed store. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:30:36 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
I found another picture that says Saxony that resembles it closely. I'll take a picture today and get it posted. Thanks Rose :) Ill get a hold of him, good to know someone knowledgeable. I got a belt and went to cut my piece and see maybe a screw is broken. Nothing looks like a hard fix though, just sat for a while. I cleaned it all up, looks beautiful, seems to spin very smooth and straight. I dont think anything else is missing. I can get a picture to Dave maybe. Im getting excited!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Saxony is the style of the wheel, not the manufacturer. The basic styles of wheels are saxony, which have the flyer mounted next to the flywheel; castle, where the orifice is either atop (most common) or in front of the flywheel (these wheels are usually smaller than saxonies); and great wheels, which look like saxonies on steroids.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
A good question here, if it is an Ashford Traditional, is whether it's one bought in kit form from the Ashford company, or if it's one built from scratch using a pattern.
Does it actually say "Ashford" anywhere on it?

"And we shall call it 'This Land'"
Firefly
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Lissa- you crack me up .... saxonies on steroids! How true that is!!

KC - maybe you could post a photo and add a link to here, and we can all take a look to see what it might be. There are soooo many wheels out there, some hand made and valuable that at first glance might look like an Ashford, but are not.

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  8:46:40 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
ILl get a picture tomorrow and post it..thanks !
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:44:38 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
Thanks for helping me get an idea what to do with this wheel and what it is. Ignore the other deisngs on the blog, its perpetually under construction.. http://cozyattic.blogspot.com/

Here are 4 pics of the wheel, and no markings can be found.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  04:13:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Compare it to these pictures of Ashford wheels...
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/ashford/ash_traditional.htm
http://thewoolery.com/Pages/ashwheelsfr.html

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:49:34 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
Thats the first one I saw, it looks almost identical. I dont see a name thouhg, but virtually dont see a difference.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  3:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I believe what you have is an Ashford wheel. Before 1981 or 1983 (???) Ashford's did not put a stamp on their wheels. I own an an Ashford traditional which doesn't have a stamp and it looks very similar if not identical to your one.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
That wheel looks exactly like my Ashford Traditional. Picture here on March 23rd. http://strikkeforsker.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_strikkeforsker_archive.html
It is from the early 70's according to customer service at Ashford. Mine has no stamp.

Be aware that the flyer on older Ashfords is smaller than current ones. New bobbins are (almost) too large to fit. Guess how I discovered that..... This also means that the jumboflyer and laceflyer will not fit on, but extra parts are needed to install them. Check Ashfords site for information on assembling the wheel and fixing problems: http://ashford.co.nz/home/home-frameset.htm

Contact their distributor in the US for info on spare parts etc. The leather thing you can probably buy from e.g. the Woolery.

It is a great wheel and I have spun everything from lace weight silk to bulky on mine, though my Jensen Tina II gets most of the attention now....

Ulla
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  9:44:01 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
thanks for all the the help:) I called the site Rose gave me, it verifys what you are saying too. Tim from the site, also says is its a very old Ashford. We discussed bobbins and changing something to dbl whorl? I got some parts, I did measurements, so Im hoping the parts fit. I know its been around my family from longer then the early 80's. OH it does look exactly like yours Vanadia!
Well when stuff arrives Im hoping to get spinning. I have been practicing with a top whorl spindle and some merino, Im told Ill enjoy the difference on a wheel from the spindle.
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:15:05 AM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
All my parts arrived at Christmas. Night before last I played with spinning and had a bit of trouble chewing gum and rubbing my head. It felt like work for both of us( both myself and the wheel)!
I took her apart and cleaned and reset everything I could. She got lightly sanded and steel wooled , then a new coat of deep conditioning stain and sealer. I buffed her until she looked like she was polished. I adjusted screws and cleaned and reset everything I could, then waxed and oiled all those little spots.. WOW, what a difference. Sooo pretty, and silent and very little effort now to get her flying. Now if I can keep up!

Tomorrow morning I get to spin!

KC
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.