Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 avoiding felting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  11:33:21 AM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
OK, new topic!

How does everyone here avoid felting wool when heatsetting dye?

To recap my answer: I steam set, for practical reasons, and just make sure that the fiber and the water heat up and cool down gradually. I put the yarns into their little packages, put them in the steamer, and then turn on the heat. They sit there until they're nice and cool, then gently soak out any residue or excess dye in a basin of tepid water. No sudden changes of temperature, no agitation, just gradual changes of temperature and gentle soaking. No problems so far.

How about everyone else?

(And since someone will be curious: I usually hand paint, rather than dying a solid color, so packaging the yarns keeps the colors from bleeding and getting muddy. And we don't really have a pot that I'd feel right sacrificing for dying, so the steamer set up is about the only choice I have. That's what I meant about practical reasons!)

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  1:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Like you, I make sure that the wool (as that is what I have always used) is brought up to temperature and cooled down again gradually. I also try to avoid stirring too much, but this is really hard to do! I get rather impatient with it! But I have had no problems, so far. I usually immersion dye, mainly as I haven't got anything suitable for steaming. But when I do, then I really want to try some handpainted yarn. Can't wait!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  1:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Like you, I make sure that the wool (as that is what I have always used) is brought up to temperature and cooled down again gradually. I also try to avoid stirring too much, but this is really hard to do! I get rather impatient with it! But I have had no problems, so far. I usually immersion dye, mainly as I haven't got anything suitable for steaming. But when I do, then I really want to try some handpainted yarn. Can't wait!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Aha! For steaming, I've taken over a large pot and old steamer insert from the kitchen. My husband hasn't yet noticed If you can't do that, though, you can cheat by making your own. Use the same pot you use now for immersion, and take a large can, coffee can, pineapple can, whatever, cut both ends off, and put it in the pot with an aluminium pie plate on top. That'll hold the yarn out of the water, and you can steam it that way -- always assuming you have a top for the pot, that is. Even if you don't, you can also do something similar using aluminium foil in place of a top, although a top is certainly easier.

The little packages I make for the yarn have been really useful to me, and I'll bet you could package the yarn this way and just simmer it, too. I lay out a strip of plastic wrap, lay the yarn over it and wrap the plastic around it as neatly as possible, so that the colors don't get mushed together too much. Then, when it's hermitically sealed, I roll that into a little snail's shell and wrap it in aluminium foil -- usually two or three layers, to keep the dye inside, and not all over everything.

With all the foil on it, the dye usually stays inside, and the water/steam stays outside. You might try doing that, then putting it in a small amount of water.

My goodness -- what a terrible thing, not to be able to hand paint yarn! We'll have to fix that! heheheh

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
Aha! For steaming, I've taken over a large pot and old steamer insert from the kitchen. My husband hasn't yet noticed If you can't do that, though, you can cheat by making your own. Use the same pot you use now for immersion, and take a large can, coffee can, pineapple can, whatever, cut both ends off, and put it in the pot with an aluminium pie plate on top. That'll hold the yarn out of the water, and you can steam it that way -- always assuming you have a top for the pot, that is. Even if you don't, you can also do something similar using aluminium foil in place of a top, although a top is certainly easier.

The little packages I make for the yarn have been really useful to me, and I'll bet you could package the yarn this way and just simmer it, too. I lay out a strip of plastic wrap, lay the yarn over it and wrap the plastic around it as neatly as possible, so that the colors don't get mushed together too much. Then, when it's hermitically sealed, I roll that into a little snail's shell and wrap it in aluminium foil -- usually two or three layers, to keep the dye inside, and not all over everything.

With all the foil on it, the dye usually stays inside, and the water/steam stays outside. You might try doing that, then putting it in a small amount of water.

My goodness -- what a terrible thing, not to be able to hand paint yarn! We'll have to fix that! heheheh

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Thanks for the steaming ideas, Phaedra. I will certainly have to try that. I had a look at the website for the yarns in yesterday's KR newsletter and got a lot of colour ideas I want to try out. With your idea for steaming, I now only have to find some suitable yarn. I seem to have run out of plain natural yarn! Looks like a trip to the LYS is in order. Yahoo!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Thanks for the steaming ideas, Phaedra. I will certainly have to try that. I had a look at the website for the yarns in yesterday's KR newsletter and got a lot of colour ideas I want to try out. With your idea for steaming, I now only have to find some suitable yarn. I seem to have run out of plain natural yarn! Looks like a trip to the LYS is in order. Yahoo!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

KathyR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?