Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 Need a new series... recommendations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:39:08 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Having recently finished the Outlander series, I need some recommendations for winter reading. (I read REALLY quickly.) So far, series I love are:
Outlander, Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, Jeffrey Deaver/Lincoln Rhyme, the ones about Tempe Brennan, the Eyre Affair series, and pretty much anything by Maeve Binchy (although, not a series, they are interrelated sometimes.)
OK - so what do y'all recommend?

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Not fiction, but I really enjoyed Ruth Reichl's books - the first was Tender at the Bone, then Comfort Me With Apples, and the third is still in paperback - Garlic and Sapphires. She was the food critic for the NY Times for a while and they're about her growing up and learning about food (and include some great recipes!) and the last is a fascinating look at being the food critic and the disguises she used and what they did to her as a person.

And The Chronicles of Narnia would be a timely read.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  9:33:35 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Try the Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold. They're often filed in the young adult section at the library - but so is Harry Potter. They're one of the few sets I read over and over. It's a sci-fi setting, but completely character-driven, with very witty dialog and some neat angles on the love story, in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  04:18:46 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
I know we've discussed her before, but my favorite is Janet Evanovich's series. Start with "One for the Money", etc. They are laugh outloud funny and a quick read. Very Enjoyable.

Homebody Knits

Visit my Site

Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  04:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
How about Maupin's Tales of the City and its follow-ups? Great books, those.

Oooooh ... and it's not a series, but it dwarfs every HP volume, so it's plenty of reading, and absolutely BRILLIANT: Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell. I can't recommend it highly enough.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  06:15:40 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
I'm reading a book from a series by Randy Wayne White, interesting mysteries with flawed characters.

pieheart

"If your toast always lands butter-side down, plan ahead. Butter the
other side instead."

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:03:22 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
I recommend two connected novels by Kent Haruf, Plainsong, and Eventide. Same wonderful characters in both. I loved them.
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
What about the Mapp and Lucia series by EF Benson? Wicked comedies of manners from 1930s England.

Jane

'What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?' Elvis Costello
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Your list of favorites sounds a lot like mine. If you don't mind starting to read a series that isn't finished yet try Jean Auel's Earth's Children Series (Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses,...).
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
KellyB - what is the first book in the Miles Vorkosigan series? Amazon is not the best to find out this stuff!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
If you'll read young adult books, the MAGIC series fromo Edward Eager is really good. One title (to get you started) is Half Magic.

The Chronicles of Narnia might be a good bet, too.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:24:05 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
I like the James Patterson books where he has the Alex Cross detective in them. You could try those. Some are kind of graphic but if you read Deaver, I'm sure these wouldn't bother you.

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
I like that Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust, or the Amber series by Roger Zelazny.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
little miss messy hair's blog
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  5:58:51 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
For historical fiction - I highly recommend the Josephine Bonaparte series. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743246217/qid=1133917043/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-4143095-5793628?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  9:06:10 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
For anyone who enjoys "juvenille ficton"-check out Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke. They're great! I am listening to the Inkspell Audio book in my car right now. As a bonus, it is performed by Brendan Fraser. He has a wonderful (and sexy) voice. Evanovich is also a favorite-if you like to laugh you'll love her books!
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  9:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
I agree that Cornelia Funke's books are great. I also enjoyed Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe opens this Friday so the whole Narnia series is a good option. CS Lewis' science fiction trilogy was also really good (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength). Also, visit my blog and you will see my list of new books read in 2005. There are about 144 of them there so you should find something you'll like.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trek's blog FO: 36, WIP: 3

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
You might get into the books by Marion Zimmer Bradley- they are beautifully written, and provide hours of rivetting entertainment. Check out Mists of Avalon, and the books that are companions to that, then move on to the Light books- They are all just fascinating, thrilling, and great for winter.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kts
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  07:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit kts's Homepage Send kts a Private Message
Check out Alexander McCall Smith ("No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" or "The Sunday Philosophy (...phers?)Club". Oddly simple and smart simultaneously.
Kim
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  6:54:36 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the recs - I've read the Narnia series compulsively at least once a year for...26 years?!? but it's time to read them with the kiddo. LOVED The Mist of Avalon...and Half Magic, and Alex Cross, and Jean Auel, and Evanovich (OK, totally mingled authors and main characters there, but y'all will follow my thoughts...)
but also jotted down quite a library list! I also realized I don't currently own the Anne of Green Gables or Little House books, so those were added to my Amazon wish list - maybe Santa will come through. :)
(So nice to be around people who read - instead of hearing "Who has time to read alllll thooooose booooooks?" {insert whine})
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  8:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
Just like with knitting, people seem to think that an activity that exercises your mind and imagination is worthless.
But if we don't take time to do those things we love, what good is our time?

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:12:46 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I just finished E.L.Doctorow's The March, a fictionalized account of Sherman's march to the sea. Very interesting, but not much about Sherman the man. So checked my bookshelves and found Sherman by John Marszalek. I'm about halfway into it. Fascinating. Horrific childhood. His father died when he was 9 and his entire family parceled out to relatives or those willing to take them in. Sherman moved 100 yds up the hill where they were going to "make a man of him". First thing was to change his name to something more civilized - Tecumseh was a heathen - hence William. And it just goes on and on. Really amazing what he accomplished despite the overwhelming influence of his adoptive family. I know he appeared ruthless to those in his path, but suddenly you realize his reasoning - to end the conflict as quickly as possible and to preserve the Union. I've always felt he was a compelling figure in our history, and am finding so much more about the fabric of the man.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by