Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Quitting!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  04:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
I CANNOT knit another scarf. They allure you with their beautiful stitch patterns and cables, but they don't tell you that they go on FOREVER.
I've completed ONE! An Irish hiking scarf turned seamen's scarf for my dad. I have another one of those to do for my son's doctor (he sees her every two weeks and she's been wonderful)....I think she will get homemade biscotti instead.

And my doctor will get biscotti instead of her luxurious alpaca tweed Irish hiking scarf because she knows my son's doctor and I don't want one to think I love the other more.

And my two best friends in the world....one loves my lace scarfs....Heartstring's Maple Leaves. I've gotten about 2/3rds through and I can't do another row. I'm so bored with it. I haven't even started on the other - I have the yarn though....a soft lavendar blue laceweight from handpaintedyarn.com. Biscotti is on their list.

And another friend....my spiritual partner....I wanted so much to make her something because she loves my knitting. But she leaves in two weeks for a vacation.....and I have the laceweight baby alpaca and the reversible cables shawl pattern.....but there's no way I could get it done.

Biscotti for all.[:( ]Unless there is someone here that has any suggestions for me to keep me going. I'm a fast proficient knitter. I can knit anything. But apparently I must have ADD knitting, because I can't get anything done. I do have two other lace scarfs that I got about 2/3rds through and then quit - deciding that the colors weren't right for their recipients. So now I'm a perfectionist ADD knitter.

Does anyone have any encouragement or suggestions on what I could do (ie other gift ideas to knit besides scarfs....these are all 30 to 40 something professional women)?

Jeanette
http://knittinginsteadofhousework.blogspot.com/

to view my art: members.cox.net/sherritzej

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  06:26:34 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
I happen to love biscotti, so even though I would love to receive a handknit scarf, biscotti works! I would put all of the scarves aside, make something small, quick. Finish it. Then pull out the scarves, put them in some kind of order (which will be finished first to last, type of pattern-lace or cable, alternate pattern types, whatever). Do one pattern repeat on each scarf, like an assembly line. Continue to do this until you become obsessed with finishing one of them, then stick with that one. Then begin the process again. This works for me when I have too many WIPs and it looks like I'll never finish anything. What it actually does for me is makes me focused on one of them at a time. I get tired of switching.

If you want to knit something else, why not washcloths and soap (see an earlier thread about this!). They are quick, and if you have the budget, you can get some nice Crystal Palace cotton chenille--very special gift! If you don't have the budget, the usual cotton is still very nice.

Next year I plan on knitting gifts all year, I am not waiting until the fall!

pieheart

"If your toast always lands butter-side down, plan ahead. Butter the
other side instead."

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  06:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Find a beautiful scarf pattern that you love, and knit it onto a hat. You can do a hat in a day and you still get to play with the pattern without knitting it until the cows come home.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Miss_Lizzyisaknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  06:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss_Lizzyisaknitter's Homepage  Send Miss_Lizzyisaknitter a Yahoo! Message Send Miss_Lizzyisaknitter a Private Message
have you tried watching tv while knitting, maybe putting something on that will keep you "awake" and willing to sit there and knit. if you think scarves are bad, wait till you get till bigger items, lol. have you tried making little hand purses or hats? good luck on your holiday knitting and your biscotti (which sounds good by the way

Lizzy
~~Proud Knitter~~
mom to Jaemie & Christopher Jr
i'm a "chatty knitter" yay!
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  06:48:11 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
For those who get tired of their scarves, may I suggest moebius scarves? They tend not to be as long in overall length, and there's something.... well..... magical about them as they appear! It keeps me going. I also try to vary the kind of yarn I use. So I just finished a moebius in Kidsilk Haze in between two in Malabrigo. It works for me!

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  06:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
My suggestions:

1. Try knitting 15 minutes on a scarf then do something else.
2. Try knitting while watching a movie or reading a book.
3. Make lots of biscotti.
4. Mail me a box of biscotti.5. Save this year's scarf for Christmas 2006 and start knitting them in January.
6. I like almond. I like chocolate, too.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trek's blog FO: 36, WIP: 2

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Try knitting scarves sideways. Use a circular needle (but knit flat) and cast on the amount of stitches you need for the length and knit your pattern in much fewer rows. This works great with any feather and fan pattern, most texture patterns, and many lace patterns although cables could look a little weird.

Somehow, even though the rows are loooonnng, the scarf seems to get finished with less boredom.

Personally, I would rather receive the unknit balls of yarn than biscotti, LOL.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
quote:
Personally, I would rather receive the unknit balls of yarn than biscotti, LOL.

I agree!
I'm curious about doing feather and fan lengthwise. I've one 2/3rds done (crystal palace's kid merino in that peachy color) that I did horizontally.....the reason I stopped was because all of a sudden I began to panic about the cast off and couldn't figure out in my mind if it would cast off with a straight edge or in scallops. (the straight edge would be a disaster of an ending). I love the feather and fan pattern and can do it in my sleep (or at my son's karate lessons). That could be a good alternative to the cable scarf I was going to do with the ivory laceweight alpaca - and by doing it vertically, when I'm ready to stop, I'm done - not 2/3rds finished!

thank you for that idea - i will cast on today.

Trekcelt: This year's recipe is toasted hazelnut dipped half in dark chocolate, 1/2 in white.

Naprous,
Is the mobies like the turkish smoke ring idea or a wrap around the shoulder's thingy(a round tube). I'm doing one now (for myself)(instead of christmas knitting - it was driving me crazy and I needed to do a project with texture and color, see my newly formed blog for its progress). Do you think that most people will wear those? All of my little neices requested these little tube neck scarves that I did for one of them a few years ago....I've finished three of those over thanksgiving travel, now just have one more to go.

Lizzy, I just saw a darling cabled purse on yarniverse that I think I will have to make. That looks like something quick. I don't watch a lot of tv, but I knit whenever I am taking my kids places or anywhere that I have to sit and wait (I was in a motorcycle crash a couple of months ago and still have to see my doctor once a week (I'm in a cast on my right leg), plus physical therapy three times a week, so I always have my knitting in my bag).

RosebyAny, None of the ladies I'm knitting for are much of hat wearers. I'm in the south (in florida, but just under Alabama)....you know those southern bells hate to mess their hair up lol!

Pieheart,
THAT ASSEMBLY LINE COULD REALLY WORK FOR ME!!!!!!!!! I love that idea!

Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:38:48 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
Quin, the Moebius is actually a little more complicated than that... it's a magical mathematical shape that has only one side, and one edge. Cat Bordhi has worked out an amazingly easy way of casting on that allows you to knit a moebius from the center out. It's so easy and magical at the same time. I've been making moebii like a machine these past couple of weeks: I think I'm working on my ninth at the moment. EVERYONE is getting one for Christmas! In their most basic manifestation, you wear them like a scarf dangling from your neck, and they can easily be doubled up to keep you warmer. I'm wearing one right now as a decorative scarf at the office.

take a look at www.catbordhi.com or on Amazon for A Treasury of Magical Knitting.

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:42:07 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
okay, I have to ask...have you posted your biscotti recipe anywhere on the forum??? Yum.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
> I stopped was because all of a sudden I began to panic about the cast off and couldn't figure out in my mind if it would cast off with a straight edge or in scallops. (the straight edge would be a disaster of an ending).<

Finish your scarf! It does not end straight across but in scallops and peaks and is very attractive.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  8:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
I did finally get to some knitting.....and housework today. I stopped in to one of my friend's shops and there she was looking all cute in her peach top that would perfectly match the peach kid merino ostrich plumes scarf (earlier i errantly said feather and fan but I am pretty sure that fmarrs words will still apply since the stitch patterns are related)......so that's the one I've done the most work on.

I started the assembly line, and before I dropped off the peach scarf, I said forget the assembly line and continued with the one I was on. But hey, the assembly line worked....it got me motivated.

(I was also bad today and ordered from Web's sale some jaeger chamonix in the divine 900 (Limoges).

My mom called and asked me not to mail my neices gifts. We will see them briefly a few days after Christmas. So that buys me some more time.....not to procrastinate, but to stay motivated.

Thank you ALL. I am feeling the encouragement to keep going - finish them to the end. Laceweight yarn isn't the best choice for scarves when you are only beginning in November. Maybe next year, anytime I finish a lace project, with my leftover yarn, just do a scarf.
Fran, thank you for your help.
KKnitter, no i don't have the recipe up, but I can eithe email it to you or put it on my blog.
NaProus, I am quite curious now about the mobies but haven't had a chance to look at it yet today. It sounds like it could work for one of my friends.

good night all on this side of the world. don't let the flu bug bite (we got one here).

I think that also its good to throw in a little self knitting as a reward - so tomorrow, after I finish working on a scarf for a good distance, then I will go back to my wrap thing.

Jeanette

Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  01:08:14 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
You could always give them all knitting kits? Yarn, needles and pattern, all beautifully packaged.I`d quite like someone to go out and choose yarn and pattern just for me, but I`d get the pleasure of knitting it.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
Scarves bore the beejeezums out of me. I would love a lot of scarves for me but I get to about 25" on the scarf and I can't look at it again. I knit (knitted?) one for my mom for Hannukah this year and it just about KILLED me to finish it and it was knit with 2 strands of worsted so it wasn't like it took a long time. On the other hand, I have no problem keeping interest in a sweater pattern. *shrug*

I have no advice, but I can empathize.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:10:57 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
If you do lace scarves again someday, double the yarn or buy fingering weight instead. They're still lacy - not too heavy - but they go a lot faster.
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  07:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
Keyhole scarves rock! Try this one in a bulky yarn--it's a fast knit: http://www.chicknits.com/kmascarf.shtml

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
Thank you everyone for so many responses....I've been able to glean a lot of useful ideas from them.

Today I gave the first scarf Christmas present. It felt so good when I saw the delight on her face.

This one was done in Nature Wool (Aracanucia...or however its spelled). The body was sortof like the Irish hiking scarf cabled pattern but the ends were 8 very long eye cords sewn as if coming right out from the cables on the body, and then all braided into a long Chinese knot type end (about 8 inches worth of tails on each side that also served as a way to use the scarf like you would a keyhold scarf (put one end in through a gap at the end of the knot and then tighten to fit around neck. (the long knotted i-cord idea was inspired by a pattern in Jane Davis' shawl/scarf book) (thank you Tejar for reminding me of the keyhole scarf construction because that enabled me to only have to knit about 40 inches instead of 56)). I forgot to take a photo of the scarf, but I am going to be making another one tomorrow. Using the worsted weight yarn really made the project go so much faster.

I'm definitely feeling encouraged to keep going, however, I've also told myself that if I get overwhelmed, I stop and make Biscotti for everyone else.

my knitting blog: http://knittinginsteadofhousework.blogspot.com/

to view my art: http://members.cox.net/sherritzej
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  05:38:19 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I also try to pick people that will appreciate my gifts. Last year, my DM was going through some really hard times and I knit her a hat and scarf out of Blue Sky Alpaca. My DS told me she wore the hat all the time, even in the house. This encourages me when I am knitting for someone--I try to make it a meditation, thinking each stitch is a thought or prayer for that person. Most people are really touched by a knitted item, especially family members, as they know the amount of time spent making an item.

Also, try pouring yourself a glass of wine, and putting in a good movie, get some books on tape from the library, or play some wonderful Christmas music, and before you know it, Christmas will have come and gone and your gifts will be completed.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  02:54:44 AM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
I'm finding it hard to knit scarves too recently. I was going to make my mom a ribbed scarf with some sort of fancy edging out of Rowan Cashsoft DK, but it was making me batty, and I've only got three balls of the stuff and can't afford to buy anymore. Then she says something about not wearing scarves often because she just has the walk from the car to the front door at work every morning. So she's getting a hat made with the yarn doubled. And she'll like it, too! lol I'm using this yarn if it kills me (which it could). I've got a pair of socks I need to wrap up, but don't feel like it. At least they're thick boot socks. Thank goodness for small favors!

Amy

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Go to Top of Page

Quinacridone
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  8:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Quinacridone's Homepage Send Quinacridone a Private Message
I started and finished two more scarves this weekend! Wow it feels good! (I also started the danica scarf from knitty....but I don't know why....I'm not doing it for anyone, I just wanted to see if I could do entrelac....its actually really FUN).

GFTC gave the suggestion of knitting lengthwise and that seemed to make the project less tedious. I was confused about how to know how many stitches to cast on and then saw something on: first figure out stitches per inch. second, figure how long in inches the final scarf should be; then multiply the two and that is the cast on number. I have no idea if there is a better way of figuring, but it worked pretty close.

I've started the biscotti as well.

Sharon, the Christmas music idea has been really helpful. (I have zero Christmas spirit this year; my poor children had to beg me for permission to even put up a tree by themselves. i finally gave in today.I was in a motorcycle crash in October and am still in a cast on my right leg. its really difficult this year finding Christmas spirit) I went out and bought Jewel's Christmas cd and Jim Brickman and both have been uplifting and soothing. I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows any good ones.

Amy, good luck with your project as well. If I could tolerate double points, I might have joined you. (i feel like I'm doing chinese torture treatment when I have something on dpn's. btw: i've never knit a sock).

to view my art: http://members.cox.net/sherritzej
Go to Top of Page

dragonridermom
Warming Up

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  7:40:34 PM  Show Profile Send dragonridermom a Private Message
If hats are too warm you can also try head bands. There is a cabled headband on
knittyhttp://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTnakiska.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by