Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 and what do you seem INCAPABLE of learning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  05:52:56 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
Mine is entrelac also. I've had all the books, printed instructions, etc. infront of me and frogged until I was so frustrated I put it in the basket to try again another day. Maybe I will try again in January or February when things slow down. I can understand those with seaming, intarsia, socks, embroidery etc.frustrations, as I've not got them mastered, but at least I can do them. I've never tried magic loop or Fair Isle so I can't go there. I've got them on my list to do before I die. What seems easy to some is hard for others and the same is true in reverse. I'm just happy I've got the basic knitting mastered and can fix my mistakes without needing my mom's or Grandma's help!

Homebody Knits

Visit my Site

Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  06:07:31 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
I cannot master Kitchner. That's it...Kitchner. All the instructions I've seen and all the instructors I've asked knit right handed. I'm a true left-handed knitter. My yarn ends up in the wrong place (for right-handed knitters) and I cannot follow the instructions from left to right. Instead of Kitchner for socks, I use 3 needle bind-off or the "Mokey Method" for finishing those toes.

Mari

WIP: Leaf Lace shawl (Fiber Trends)

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Socks! I took 2 classes, did really well in the first & nearly completed 1 sock. Took another & ended up messing it up completely. [crazy]

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Well, I was just about to attempt Entrelac project, but am now seriously reconsidering...

Other than that I fall into the group with seaming issues. They get me every time.

Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
I too still use my thumb and forefinger to hold the yarn. It's strange...I prefer Continental for knitting and English for purling. I need to work on one or the other though. My biggest downfall is making yarn overs instead of stitches.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
It's not what I'm incapable of learning, it's what I try and detest as I believe I can learn anything if I set my mind to it. However, there are some techniques that drive me crazy, so I refuse to put the time into them. For example, any method that replaces DPN's with circs is a waste of time for me as I'm very efficient with my DPN's! Also, I knit so fast with the English method that I was raised with that I can't seem to set aside the time to try continental - even though I would like to be able to do color knitting with two hands.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
I simply CANNOT do short-row heels. I have been making socks for years, I can do everything else, but every time I try a short-row heel I have to frog it three or four times before I can get it to look, well, heel-like. Either they are too pointy, or I have big holes where my wraps went astray, or big lumpy knots where my wraps thought of an other way of going astray... But I refuse to be defeated by a mere sock heel. I will conquer in the end....
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  10:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
Add me to the people confounded by Kitchener. I don't understand how I can be so stumped by this. I have multiple instructions. I follow them carefully. I take deep breaths. Nevertheless, it looks like @#$%^& every time. I'm doing something seriously wrong, and I don't know what.

I'm thinking of having my LYS give me a private class to finish up my next sock. Like Maybird, I refuse to be defeated!
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  1:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Crochet here. I can make a long skinny chain... much beyond that is far too much of a challenge. I go all squinty-eyed and eventually give up.

J

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  1:29:15 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
glad to see I'm not the only person who is Kitchner impaired. And I don't even have an excuse of being left handed or anything else.
Lilybeth, I take deep breaths, too. In fact, I turn off everything - radio, tv, cats locked out, write each stitch down and do stitch by stitch and I still screw up. go figure!!
vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  2:50:38 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
I can't seem to master the English style. (I call it American since I learned in Germany, I call the Continental "German".) I've taken a class and everything....I keep going back to the tried and true.
I also cannot for the life of me use straight needles, too cumbersome.
Besides, not very portable. I need portable.

Kristin

"Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!"
author unknown
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  4:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
Hands-down -- the Kitchner stitch! I still have to get out the book and go slowly! (and typing "s")

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipes.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  5:03:24 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
Working from knitting charts drives me nuts. Except for very simple designs, I wind up translating the pattern into line-by-line text instructions.

I don't know why I have trouble knitting from a chart. I don't have to look at my hands while playing the piano, but I do have to look at my hands while knitting.

"There's a thin line between hobby & mental illness."
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elkymama

Working from knitting charts drives me nuts. Except for very simple designs, I wind up translating the pattern into line-by-line text instructions.

I do the exact same thing! I, for the life of me, can't use a chart. I wind up putting it all down on paper in text.

you are not alone!

Samantha
Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
I don't have problems learning anything, really. It's all been easy.

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

constantknitter
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  04:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit constantknitter's Homepage Send constantknitter a Private Message
Martheme, I'm a "pincher," too! I tried to hold the yarn in a more conventional way, because I'd like to be able to teach others to knit, but it just slows me down.

My knitting nemesis is set-in sleeves. I can't do it smoothly at all, no matter how many times I try or whatever method of sewing the seam I use. It always looks a little like those 80s puffed sleeves, only with uneven puffs.

Gina
constantknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
I have a hard time with Kitchnering also. D*mn Mrs. Kitchner. I just did a sock for my dad and wouldn't you know, I have one little purl bump on the toe. I ripped it out and did it again. Dang bump is still there. I just figure that no one is perfect... LOL

Kris

2005 stats: 12 FO, 4 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I've only been seriously knitting for a year so I am not a beginner but I'm sure not an expert. I saw and was immediately attracted to enterlac when looking at a book at the library that had a beautiful enterlac shaw/scarf on the cover out of Prism yarn in aqua's and purple. I knew then that I wanted to learn the technique. Fast forward about 6 months and my LYS offered a class to make an enterlac felted bag, from Bags, a Knitter's Dozen. I did fine in class but once I got home I kept repeating the same mistake. That mistake was forgetting to do that one stitch that connects the previous diamond to the next. Talk about a lesson learned!! I think I devoted at least 2 hours to trying to figure that one out. Anyway, I did learn. I haven't finished the bag as moving and gift knitting has gotten in the way. But, I'm more than 3/4 finished with the knitting. My suggestion, check your local LYS's and see if there are any classes offered.

Kay
Go to Top of Page

glanvillemarthae@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:15:49 AM  Show Profile Send glanvillemarthae@yahoo.com a Private Message
Kitchener always took me back to the printed and photo directions for each project until I started saying a mantra as I was doing it. This assumes front needle first: knit off, purl on. (back needle) purl off, knit on.
Go to Top of Page

rainyrivergirl
Chatty Knitter

Canada
212 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile Send rainyrivergirl a Private Message
I have in front of me a pattern for a shawl that is marked EASY and it should be. It asks for a row of yarnovers and stitches knitted together at intervals with alternating rows to be purled. It is a lovely lace type pattern in a yarn that I bought as a treat for myself because it feels soft.(Patons Katrina)
Can I make this shawl? No. Every single time I am into the fifth or sixth row I miss a yarnover or something and the stitch count is off. So I rip back and start again. Same results. I am incapable of getting this right and the frustration level is mounting. I have made five starts with the same results. Being a bit stubborn I am intending to begin again once more and if no luck I have decided to decorate my Christmas tree with seven balls of beautiful yarn! (I did look for other patterns for Patons Katrina but there are few items and I don't like them anyway...just wanted the shawl)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?