Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Willow Wood Pond Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2073 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  1:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Chris, thanks for starting this topic & Clara, thank you for telling us about Cecelia & these beautiful yarns. I wrote her an email yesterday to ask about quantities for socks & her ideas for yarns for a shawl for a friend who wants to avoid scratchy, itchy & rough feeling yarns. Cece wrote me back promptly w/answers & a lovely suggestion for the shawl (the Alpaca & Merino wool, about 5 stitches to the inch on number 7 needles). I don't have much experience w/hand painted yarns & Willow Woods seem to be a fabulous place to start!

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  4:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I really, really want to look at the yarn and the colors -- but the web pages take about a zillion years to load (some of us do live too far in the boonies to get broadband, something that a lot of website designers forget to consider) and I haven't been able to wait around to get a good look yet! From what I can tell, they really are lovely. Maybe one day soon...because all this talk has me hankerin' for a hank or two!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  4:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I really, really want to look at the yarn and the colors -- but the web pages take about a zillion years to load (some of us do live too far in the boonies to get broadband, something that a lot of website designers forget to consider) and I haven't been able to wait around to get a good look yet! From what I can tell, they really are lovely. Maybe one day soon...because all this talk has me hankerin' for a hank or two!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  10:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Marg, even is US$ the yarn is pricey, but it looks worth it. Plenty to make a couple pairs of socks!

You're right, Chris...but I'm just love knitting sweaters!!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  10:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Marg, even is US$ the yarn is pricey, but it looks worth it. Plenty to make a couple pairs of socks!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

quote:

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Shopper
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile Send Shopper a Private Message
I have been using her yarn for quite sometime. Cece has great customer service and I am always astonished at how personable she is. I was so glad to see the article about her on the website. I love the knitters site and love the ideas I get from it. The prices of Willow Woods yarn aren't that bad when you consider the quality is top notch and others I have found sell it for more. Besides the colors are spectacular and I haven't found anything like it up here where I live. Good going Cece!

Great Article!

Go to Top of Page

Shopper
New Pal

1 Posts

I have been using her yarn for quite sometime. Cece has great customer service and I am always astonished at how personable she is. I was so glad to see the article about her on the website. I love the knitters site and love the ideas I get from it. The prices of Willow Woods yarn aren't that bad when you consider the quality is top notch and others I have found sell it for more. Besides the colors are spectacular and I haven't found anything like it up here where I live. Good going Cece!

Great Article!

Go to Top of Page

Shopper
New Pal

1 Posts

Great Article!

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  2:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Thanks everybody! I'm glad you're enjoying the article. Cecelia's position about pictures is that the only way to "get" the yarns is by seeing them in sizeable pictures. The pages do take ages to download, which is unfortunate (from one boonie dweller to another, Jane, I feel your pain!). But on a positive note, they do give you a much better sense of the yarns.

For those of you having a hard time reading the print against the background, try selecting all the text (click your mouse at the beginning of the text and, keeping the mouse clicked, drag it to the end of the text). Depending on how your browser is configured, this may change the text to white against a blue background. It only does this while the text is selected, but it could help. OR, if it's really bad, select all the text and copy it into a word processing program and read it there. Or call a friend and have her read you the text over the phone.

Those of you who ordered her yarns, please do come back here and tell us what you think. Martha, I agree that the merino/alpaca blend would make a fantastic scarf. This was by far the most succulent of the yarns I tried. The alpaca will give a good amount of slink/drape to the scarf, and it really shouldn't scratch a bit.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  2:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Thanks everybody! I'm glad you're enjoying the article. Cecelia's position about pictures is that the only way to "get" the yarns is by seeing them in sizeable pictures. The pages do take ages to download, which is unfortunate (from one boonie dweller to another, Jane, I feel your pain!). But on a positive note, they do give you a much better sense of the yarns.

For those of you having a hard time reading the print against the background, try selecting all the text (click your mouse at the beginning of the text and, keeping the mouse clicked, drag it to the end of the text). Depending on how your browser is configured, this may change the text to white against a blue background. It only does this while the text is selected, but it could help. OR, if it's really bad, select all the text and copy it into a word processing program and read it there. Or call a friend and have her read you the text over the phone.

Those of you who ordered her yarns, please do come back here and tell us what you think. Martha, I agree that the merino/alpaca blend would make a fantastic scarf. This was by far the most succulent of the yarns I tried. The alpaca will give a good amount of slink/drape to the scarf, and it really shouldn't scratch a bit.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Clara
Go to Top of Page

jjnargan
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  08:43:48 AM  Show Profile Send jjnargan a Private Message
I'm having a problem with their website. I'm using the link from Clara's article. The home page seems to load, but there is only one active link on the whole page. I think it's to "wool yarns 2" and when I click on it, there's a message that the page is down. I can't find any information about the yarn, the prices or the colors. I've tried it a couple of times over the last few days and it always looks the same. And I have a very fast internet connection. (Thank you Broadband!) Is anyone else having this problem or knows what I'm doing wrong?

I'd love to get a look at these yarns!

Thanks,

Jenna
Go to Top of Page

jjnargan
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  08:43:48 AM  Show Profile Send jjnargan a Private Message
I'm having a problem with their website. I'm using the link from Clara's article. The home page seems to load, but there is only one active link on the whole page. I think it's to "wool yarns 2" and when I click on it, there's a message that the page is down. I can't find any information about the yarn, the prices or the colors. I've tried it a couple of times over the last few days and it always looks the same. And I have a very fast internet connection. (Thank you Broadband!) Is anyone else having this problem or knows what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jenna
Go to Top of Page

jjnargan
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Thanks,

Jenna
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  04:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
Count me in on slow connection in the boonies as well. It is worth the wait for her images to load however.
I first thought there was only one active link on the homepage too, but you will find that to the left of each listing, there is a sheep graphic that comes up that you click on to go to other pages. If you don't want to wait for the sheep to appear, you can just click to the left of the titles.
Anyone know this answer (I did just email them)...sock yarns..
The listed page of Sock Yarns says 5 inch on #7-8, but yardage is only 250. I doubt that would be enough for socks in this heavy weight. Mountain Colors is 350 yds and I barely make it with that.
Then under her wool yarns, she lists Sock Yarn, Kona. Am wondering if this is Henry's Attic Kona. She gives no weight to this yarn, but says #1-4 needles. So is this a different sock yarn than her sock yarn page? This is also 250 yds, which would be okay if not a heavy weight yarn.
Anyway, thinking of trying her yarns in 2 colorways for socks first. If I like it, would love to make a sweater next. Almond Blossoms and Miss Kate colorways are calling to me.
Thanks, Clara, for keeping us informed as to interesting looking yarns out there!
Lisa in Oklahoma

Designs for hand knit socks...
Latest Design-
Garland Lace Socks
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of some of my knitting...
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  04:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
Count me in on slow connection in the boonies as well. It is worth the wait for her images to load however.
I first thought there was only one active link on the homepage too, but you will find that to the left of each listing, there is a sheep graphic that comes up that you click on to go to other pages. If you don't want to wait for the sheep to appear, you can just click to the left of the titles.
The listed page of Sock Yarns says 5 inch on #7-8, but yardage is only 250. I doubt that would be enough for socks in this heavy weight. Mountain Colors is 350 yds and I barely make it with that.
Then under her wool yarns, she lists Sock Yarn, Kona. Am wondering if this is Henry's Attic Kona. She gives no weight to this yarn, but says #1-4 needles. So is this a different sock yarn than her sock yarn page? This is also 250 yds, which would be okay if not a heavy weight yarn.
Anyway, thinking of trying her yarns in 2 colorways for socks first. If I like it, would love to make a sweater next. Almond Blossoms and Miss Kate colorways are calling to me.
Thanks, Clara, for keeping us informed as to interesting looking yarns out there!
Lisa in Oklahoma

Latest Design-
Garland Lace Socks

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Hi All,
Lisa in Oklahoma

Latest Design-
Garland Lace Socks

Go to Top of Page

jjnargan
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  07:57:04 AM  Show Profile Send jjnargan a Private Message
Lisa,

Thanks so much for the explanation of the website. I thought I was going to go nuts listening to everyone rave about the yarn and not being able to see it! She really does have some beautiful yarn. Maybe I'll splurge for a next-winter project.

Jenna

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.