Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Thud!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  10:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Forgive me, knitters, for I have given in. It has been three months since my last stash enhancement. In August I faced the enormity of my stash and completed an inventory of all yarns. I packed up a giant box and sent it away to a good cause. I looked at all those "sweater's worth" of yarn bags and decided that I would abstain from buying until I had knitted some of my project backlog. I did complete some things, by sewing up and finishing 2 long-languishing UFOs. Since September, I have peeked at Elann, Kpixie, and other websites but not purchased. I accompanied my best friend, a newly converted crocheter, to the yarn store several times and bought only needles (needed for projects from yarn already on hand.)

This weekend, she called me and said "come help me spend my birthday yarn money at Fabric Place - they are having a 25% off everything sale." I went, I shopped. I bought a "sweaters worth" of Classic Elite Princess. I bought I'm not sure how many skeins of Malabrigo (they had a couple balls in each of several beautiful colorways, and it didn't make sense to only buy one if there was no matching the color if I decided to make something that needed more yarn...) although I am pretty sure I will be giving away a few of them to my mom. I went home and dumped out the bag of yarn on my bed and celebrated this rare splurge. Then on Monday I was having a terrible day. My thoughts drifted to yarn. I went to Elann, where I had some things waiting in my basket from a previous peek. I closed my eyes and pressed the button. More yarn is on the way!!!

I don't regret my purchases at all, only the lack of time in my day to complete a sweater a week, which is what I should really do for the next year...

Sigh. Back to work ---

Luann

Knit and let knit!

brown-eyed purl
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile Send brown-eyed purl a Private Message
Luann, you're not to be blamed at all. I can hardly resist Malbrigo - so mostly hubby goes with to ensure smaller spending. I absolutely love that yarn. And yarn on sale?

If anyone knows how to extend the days by a few more hours - say 27 or so, so that we can all get more knitting done I'd love to hear about it. I've got more than a few projects to start, much less finish...
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Oh, thank god.

That big thud made me think that the boxes of stash piled up in your house had fallen on you and you could not get up.

So relieved that that was not the case.

Honey, it is not your fault. 25% off is very hard to resist. Consider yourself lucky that they did not discount more deeply. The results could have been truly disastrous.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  3:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
Overheard at the ASE conference in Sept: "People collect all sorts of things and don't feel the need to use them, or the need to apologize for owning them ( ie teapots, antique weapons, stamps). So Stop feeling guilty over owning stash of fabric (yarn, fiber etc) . Own it and enjoy it as a collection,"

and consider it a bonus when you use it to sew or knit with. (my editorializing in the added on end of that sentence).

Personally, I'd much rather collect yarn and fabric than teapots.

Marji,
whose stash surely exceeds life expectancy
my blog: http://fiberartsafloat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
LOL, Kelley - I try not to put more than 10 lbs. of yarn into any one container so that I don't get crushed...

Now that you mention it, Marji, I am a collector, an archaeologist by training and I work in a museum, but it never occured to me to think of my yarn as a collection! I always considered my stash "supplies". I've got an inventory, I've got climate-controlled storage - hey, look! I'm the curator of my own yarn museum!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  5:04:32 PM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
Luann, it's not your fault. There was a SALE. And you NEEDED the yarn from Elann...I mean, your basket was calling your name...

And I think looking at stash as a valid collection is a GREAT idea!

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message
Don't casually search for Rowan or Colinette or Noro on Ebay either or your collection will be bigger. I was really taking a whack at the stash and the UFOs when I went to Stitches in September. Who could say no to 50% off Noro? What about discontinued Rowan Aran Tweed for 60% off and no shipping from the UK? I would need an intervention...
Are there 12 step programs for knitters?

Go to Top of Page

knittingkeri
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  8:36:47 PM  Show Profile Send knittingkeri a Private Message
I gotta say I'm guilty. Just this afternoon i spent $40 on yarn at smiley's They have amazing deals, but you have to meet the $30 minimum, but oh, I could not wait on this yarn, I know i am working on two quilts, one of which is stillin the process of making the i cord to knit it, BUT I COULD NOT WAIT!!!! It is not possible when there is a sale, when I found the best deals. "But honey, I got a deal!!!" I say, he says "But honey, you've already thrown all my clothes out of the closet to make room for your stash" But Oh Dear, is there a YHA (yarn hoarders anonymous) out there, if not i commence one to start-or I could sell off those balls, skeins, hanks I wont be touch for a long time on Ebay, and put the money I get into savings.....NO!!! ON More Yarn!!!! sorry, all you out there, the stash monster got ahold of me again!!!
P.S. - comically enough, I sometimes do fear an avalance in my now yarn closet, causing a horribly comic hospitilization. "ma'am can you tell us how it happened?" "sure, I sneezed in the closet, and I remember nothing else!"
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  07:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
The "thud" was heard at my house recently as well. I decided in October that I wouldn't buy anymore yarn until I use some of my stash - I have so many projects waiting it was starting to stress me out. So I've been clipping along trying to finish some UFO's and looking through the stash to figure out what to do next. Then I decided to buy my mother a project for Christmas. Found the perfect one, Elann had the yarn (Debbie Bliss Cotton Silk Aran) and bought it. No problem, not for me, right? Unfortunately, while I was on Elann I saw DB Merino Chunky...well, just one order can't hurt... Bought it - enough to make my husband a sweater. Then I saw a cute pattern for a hoodie - oops, how did that yarn (Austermann Naturwolle)get in my shopping basket. I got the Merino last night - nice yarn! Immediately cast on and have worked on nothing else since then (what other projects?). Can I claim any credit for not buying anything (sock yarn doesn't count right?) for two months? Elann is really a terrible (wonderful) enabler!

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

mrknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  10:40:25 AM  Show Profile Send mrknits a Private Message
Luann, you are so right about the value of considering yourself a collector of yarn. I know many collectors of varied things and the thing that is most collected is dust on those things. We would never allow our collections to get dusty, would we????

I love being a collector of items that can be combined to create beauty that is so enjoyed by others!

Miriam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?