Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Shhh! Nobody wake Clara!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  04:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
MY WORD! Eleven reviews this week! Clara must not have slept for weeks preparing that for us - and how exciting! Now all we need is a button to immediately add your reviewed books to our own wishlists!

Thanks for the great reviews, Clara! I was only previously aware of two or three of these, but now there are many more reasons for Ken to not leave me alone in the knitting section of the bookstore!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:21:53 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I know what you mean, Rose. I chipped in with my dd to get me The Opinionated Knitter for Mother's Day and I've really tried to resist adding any new books since then. My bookcase is bulging! Starting college sure helped me to resist!

But now...I already have the Pattern-a-Day calendar on my Christmas list. Do you think it's too late to add Magnificant Mittens?!

Who am I kidding? I haven't even finished my winter scarf or the one Christmas present I'm knitting this year.

I'm dreaming of a knitted Christmas...

Okay, time to get back to work.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
I had never heard of the mittens book - I added it to my amazon.com wishlist. It was great to see so many book reviews.

Gail
http://www.knittergail.com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I just added two of the books to my Amazon wishlist (only two because I already own three on Clara's list!).

Thank you Clara for the great reviews!

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:04:35 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
The vintage Socks book by Nancy Bush is really nice. Not only does it have a variety of heels like Clara said, there are several toes, too. It has a lot of history, too, that was interesting. I'm working on the plain gentleman's socks for DH using yarn he dyed in a sock yarn dyeing class we took.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:05:33 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
So I just went to the library and put a couple on my hold list. I was 50 out of 50 on one and 39 out of 39 on another. Boy, Claire knows how to pickem.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry I didn't make it to an even 12 books. There were more out there, I just had to draw the line somewhere or else it'd be crazy and overwhelming. Maybe next year.

I keep hearing how print is dead and nobody owns books anymore. It's heartwarming and encouraging to know that within the knitting community, we still have some strength. Can you imagine a world without books?!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Can you imagine a world without books?!

Clara

A world without books and a world without yarn...a scary thought indeed

~Rena~
www.music2knit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ditzy Girl

Boy, Claireknows how to pickem.

I've been meaning to ask you, Zola, however did you pick your screen name???

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  3:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Rose, I picked it because in this stage of my life I am ditzy. I didn't use to be when I was younger, but now. I can't remember anything, start too many things and can't keep my mind on any one thing. Simple as that!

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  5:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I totally understand that logic, Zola. When I first started bidding on Amazon and Ebay auctions a few years ago, I had just changed jobs, was dealing with in-law illnesses, and was trying to lose weight. I picked "frazzled" as one username, and "frazzled22" as the other because frazzled was already taken. Sometimes it makes me smile now when I log in under one name or the other, at least until I feel that way again.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Ooohh.... does this mean that if I change my eBay username to Vivaceous_and_Sexy_Gal, it'll come true?

Off to change my name!

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  9:43:39 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Clara, you can hope.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
Great reviews, Clara! I love the way you get at the heart of the book in just a few sentences.

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  03:32:31 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I don't understand the reference to fox and geese and fences in the mittens book. Couds someone clarify? Or should I say Clara-fy?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ditzy Girl

Clara, you can hope.

Sigh... I'm beyond hope at this point!

Anita, the book title refers to the names of different patterns in the book. Normally it just refers to the color motif on the front and/or back of the mitten. They aren't exactly precise high-definition renditions of geese and fences and things, but that's what they were called originally, so that's what she continued to call them. Without that background context, I agree that the book's title could be a little... peculiar!

Clara
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2058 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Let me add my thanks to Clara for the great reviews. I was amazed by the enticing descriptions, Clara, & found myself wanting each & every one of them.
And re the question, "Can you imagine a world w/out books?", no way, baby! They continue to have a valued place in my life.
And the main current volunteer work I do is at our local, neighborhood Library so books are important in that aspect of my personal life too.
Thanks again, Mizzy Clara, for the reviews of these cool books.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  06:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Ooohh.... does this mean that if I change my eBay username to Vivaceous_and_Sexy_Gal, it'll come true?
Off to change my name!
Clara

I thought it was already true, Clara.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: