Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Favorite Mittens
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:28:08 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I noticed in the newletter that Robin Hansen has a new book Favorite Mittens. It was mentioned that it contained selections from her other two books - Fox & Geese & Fences and Flying Geese and Partridge Feet. I'm wondering if the entire book is made up of patterns from these two books or are there additional patterns in it? I would like to have this book, but I already have the other two and don't want to get something that is just a compilation of the others.

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
It's my understanding that the new book has revised and updated the patterns "for ease of knitting," and I'm quoting the press release they sent out. (Which I rarely trust, but heck!) They also say that the so-called new approach "reflects the helpful feedback Hansen has received from those who flock to her workshops all around the country and in the United Kingdom." So I take that to mean it's the same patterns, just better presented. She's had time to make all the fixes and updates she wishes she'd thought of before publishing them the first time. If you had no problems with the originals, then perhaps you'd be better off going to a library and checking this one out first so you can compare versions. Just a thought...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  08:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
I no longer have my orginal copy of this book, but just got the new one in... and have to give it two thumbs way up! Of course, it's all about patterns from Maine, and I'm from Maine, so I AM biased, but still :)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

polaris
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:23:44 AM  Show Profile Send polaris a Private Message
I don't have the original books, but the text of the book leads me to believe that the book is solely a compliation of patterns from the original books, without any new patterns (Hopefully someone who has seen both can confirm this). The book is basically divided into three sections: Section one has non-two color patterns (i.e. the fisherman's wet mittens, the fleece stuffed and double-rolled mittens, wristers, etc.), Section two is two color patterns from Maine, and Section three is two color patterns from the Canadian maritimes.

Apparently the patterns have been revised to make them easier to follow, though I still find them a bit squirrely. If you don't mind doing a little "self-interpretation" they should be fine.

I too live in Maine and I love this book! I am a bit of a history buff anyway so it's fun to combine two passions. I am finishing up the Maplewood Mittens for my boyfriend and getting ready to start the Labrador Diamonds for myself.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe