Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 coping with shipping costs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loopmi
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:46:34 AM  Show Profile Send loopmi a Private Message
We opened our lovely store in November, and the first few weeks have been encouraging, but we're finding the freight costs are really going to gnaw at our margin. Of course the retail prices recommeded by manufacturers and distributors don't take shipping into account.

How do you experienced LYS owners cope with high (and rising) freight costs?

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
We make orders large enough to have shipping for free (sometimes this is negotiable) or take the cost of shipping into account when retail pricing.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

loopmi
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send loopmi a Private Message
It's good to know that some companies may offer free shipping for large enough orders. I wish I had known to ask suppliers for that extra consideration when I was placing our initial inventory orders.
Now we're in that crunchy time when we're still paying for renovations and fixturing, so no very large orders are imminent.
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  07:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Loopmi, I second the large orders. Call your reps up, and tell them that you just opened, and ask them what they have for models or free yarn for new shops. Turns out a lot of times you can get something in the way of a "thank you for your opening order/opening a new store" if you just ask. Also ask about trunk shows, and reimbursement for shop samples. Squeeky wheel, and all that :)

As far as the shipping costs - you can do two things.
1. Add them to the yarn costs.
2. Write it off as a business expense.

We've choosen 2, although a lot of shop raise the price and then will advertise "10% off all yarns, all the time" to bring the price back down to suggested retail.

Give yourself a few months off from ordering, work with what you already have, and do some hard number crunching in one and three months - what is selling? What isn't? Keep your books, magazines, and needles in stock, but let the yarn reorders wait until you have at least $500 worth of yarn to buy from that company. (not easy to do, as some companies are horridly slow shippers, others are backorders. It's a learn-as-you-go job in that way, but it does get easier!)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by