Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Share Your Photo Albums
 Cool New FO: VW Bug Cozy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wittyknits
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit wittyknits's Homepage Send wittyknits a Private Message
Here's a totally unnecessary FO as far as objects with a purpose go, but one I wanted to share with you all, because it is pretty cool as an example of knitting for art's sake, or a community knitting project.

Recently, the LYSs here in Columbus has sign up sheets for something called the Extreme Knitting Team. The goal of this group was to produce a knitted VW bug cozy to be on display at an annual local art/craft fair called Winterfair. The cozy was on display, and kids were allowed to add the embellishments at the event, so it got more decorated throughout the weekend. They also had volunteers to be there to answer questions, and get people interested in knitting, and pass out information related to local knitting groups.

I signed up to knit one of the car body pieces. In return, I was given a traced tissue paper outline of my piece (the trunk), size 19 needles and a bunch of Lion Brand "Big" yarn (LB was a sponsor of the project).

The reason I signed up was to give myself some practice in knitting a piece to given dimensions. And practice I got. I did the math repeatedly, but trial and error really got involved in this a lot, especially because while the gauge of 1 stitch per inch made the math easy, it made the gentle curve of the piece rather difficult to figure out.

I ended up pinning the tissue paper piece down on my blocking board, which has one inch squares on it, and laying down my knitted piece on top of it every row or so to double check.

After we all turned in our car pieces and the knitted embellishments (flowers, animals, and even a pair of fuzzy dice) someone got the thankless job of sewing the pieces together, and the car went on display.

All done and on display:

[img]http://images12.fotki.com/v236/photos/2/288592/2671831/car1-vi.jpg[/img]

More photos and discussion of the in progress and finished car at my blog.

I believe the plan is to enter this in art car parades, and display it at various knitting related events around town as well.

--
wittyknits.blogspot.com
Because a witty knit beats a nitwit any day!

Windansea
Chatty Knitter

165 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Windansea's Homepage Send Windansea a Private Message
That is just so cool....

Windansea
http://droppedastitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  3:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
I love it! As the happy driver of a 2000 Beetle, I think this is fantastic. (Of course, my Beetle cozy would have to be electric blue . . .)
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  05:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
Awesome! And a great way to promote knitting too. :)

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
That is so cool! The idea of a cummunity knitting art project like that is fabulous. I wish there was one where I am at.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by