Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Bobbin question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pressly
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit pressly's Homepage Send pressly a Private Message
Hi ladies, I have a full bobbin of plied georgeous yarn I do NOT want to cut since I don't have much left to ply on the other two... Any tricks to keepting the yarn one continuous strand onto a new bobbin?
L

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I don't understand your question. If you have one bobbin full, why would you need to cut it?

Do you mean you have yarn coming off that bobbin that won't fit and you want to load it onto a separate bobbin so that ONE strand of yarn is on TWO bobbins?

No, you can't do that - you'll get a funky over twisted mess.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

pressly
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  1:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit pressly's Homepage Send pressly a Private Message
Yeah, you got it... I tried to experiment and just what you said happened... It just seemed so sad to cut the yarn, having such a small skein and then having to ply the remaining singles into another smaller skein. I just wanted all of my singles plied on to one bobbin thereby creating one continuous strand of plied yarn on one bobbin. So everyone just has small skeins of two ply? My weight is like a heavy worsted...
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The Lendrum has an optional plying head which holds 8+ oz of yarn (most can only fit 4-5 oz on the standard bobbin) and there are bulky fliers for several other wheels as well, I believe.

But yes, mostly homespun is roughly 4 oz skein... which considering most balls of yarn are sold in 50 gram balls is about twice what you'd get in a shop.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  4:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
And some people buy wheels just for bulky or plying - such as the Babe bulky or a Columbine. They have huge bobbins - the Babe can hold up to a pound of yarn! Of course, then you need a super-jumbo ball winder...

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  01:10:48 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
The trick is to know how much of any particular singles you can spin onto two bobbins so that when you ply them together you end up with one full bobbin. But...who gets this right every time? Thay`s when the big plying heads are great....but expensive.

I`ve got a Louet and they can hold vast amounts even on a standard bobbin. I`ve not spun laceweight yet but even lightweight fingering gives me so much yardage I get veeeery bored with plying, and the skeins can be pretty unmanagable. And I need to break it when winding on the ball winder anyway. So it`s not necessarily ideal to trying to get huge skeins. Aim for a couple of hundred yards maximum, if your bobbins can manage them, that`s my advice anyway. Good length to knit with and not to difficut to process to ball stage.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.