Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Online Shops - Questions and Favorites
 If you shop online with eBay--Beware!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
I just got very real looking message from a supposed eBay member in which they say that I won an auction and

quote:
Dear ebay member,

Thank you for bidding on my item, you are the highest bidder at 1520$ . Please respond to this email by clicking the button below so we can provide you with shipping cost ! We will need your zipcode .
Thank you

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will not reach the eBay member. Use the Respond Now button below to respond to this message.
Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,
skandalliz

Do NOT click the button. It takes you a very real looking eBay sign in page. And yes, I clicked the button and yes, I signed in which then took me to a page that wanted all sorts of Credit Card information. That's when the red light went on.

I notified eBay and changed my password.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
It's called phishing. You'll get stuff like that from "Pay Pal" and banks. Be very careful.
Go to Top of Page

Bristolknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bristolknits's Homepage Send Bristolknits a Private Message
Thanks for the warning about fake ebay messages...
let me add that I a couple weeks ago I received a similar fake message from "paypal" saying that I had agreed to purchase something and I was to click the link below to verify.
It was for a large sum, and at first I almost clicked it to tell them I had not authorized that "sale". Beware. Don't click any links! Paypal will never ask you to click a link in their emails, and they will address you by your full name not dear paypal member.
It's amazing how authentic looking these crooks are getting.!

Carol in Vermont
http://groups.msn.com/KnewKnitter
http://vtknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4170 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
We've discussed this on this board before but this bears repeating: if you have a question about ANY emails you receive from eBay or PayPal, forward the message to spoof@ebay.com . They respond very quickly verifying whether the email is real or fake.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  10:14:23 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
No official email from ebay will ever call you a member but address you by your user name. The other huge tip off here is the mention that the ebay member will not receive your message!

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
Remember when you sign up for most any on-line account the vendor will tell you "WE WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN AN EMAIL"

BELIEVE THEM!

I got an email from PayPal (very official looking) saying my account was going to expire and follow the link to their site to update account. DELETE! Even if it was legitimate...I can renew my account WHEN I CHOOSE...not because an email tells me to.

Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kbshee

We've discussed this on this board before but this bears repeating: if you have a question about ANY emails you receive from eBay or PayPal, forward the message to spoof@ebay.com . They respond very quickly verifying whether the email is real or fake.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com

I just wanted to add that is you get anything from paypal forward it to spoof@paypal.com and they also verify quickly whether the email is real or fake (and they have ALL been fake for me)

rho
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
The reason I clicked was to tell them I had not won anything from them. And eBay did get back to me already.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
My husband has received similar messages from 'Amazon' that was fake & he, of course, reported it right away. These imposters are very talented and very tricky!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/avatarknittingyoda.jpg[/IMG]

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  1:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Just remember to never click on the links in the emails.

There are tons of these floating around right now. If you are worried about your account being compromised you can go to your account directly. DO NOT go through a link. Type in the URL and login that way. If you do it through the link you're giving the scammer your information.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  1:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I have no idea what the contraband emails from ebay, Yahoo, etc. contain because....I DON'T OPEN THEM!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
You should *NEVER* reply to the phishing emails. It proves your email is live and they will spam you mercilessly.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:22:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I realised the e-mails that I was getting apparantly from e-bay and paypal were fake when they said my credit card details needed updating...I don't have a credit card!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 2 WIPs, 26 FOs
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  5:31:26 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I've also gotten these emails from ebay and paypal - I just delete them as I know I don't have any pending sales. I've started to get emails from the "fbi" and "cia" with the subject line saying that I have been visiting restricted (I think that's the word) websites. I heard about these emails a few months ago, and I think they deliver a virus, if I remember correctly. I just delete them.

Also, a new type of email has been showing up the past few weeks. The subject line says that an email message couldn't be delivered. I got several of these one day, and none of the senders were familiar, nor were the supposed recipients. I wonder what they are trying to get from these, but again, didn't open, just deleted. My curiosity wasn't stronger than my sense of caution.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
I've gotten those from ebay, paypal, the FBI & CIA. My new favorite is when a bank emails me about my "account" & it's a bank that I don't bank with!! You know they're fishing when they send these things out.

Sadly there are people who get duped.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Barbara, clicking on the link can still be dangerous, even if you changed your eBay password. In addition to containing viruses, many of these links will download spyware onto your computer without you knowing about it, even if you're running anti-virus software. That spyware can capture (and transmit) all sorts of information you don't want to share with these scammers. You could have spyware running right now that is capturing information and sending it back to the scammers. You might want to download an anti-spyware application, like Ad-Aware (which is free for home users). Go to www.lavasoft.com and take a look at what they offer free. You'll be stunned at how many data miners are already on your computer. Ad-Aware will let you get rid of them.

As for the emails with the subject line that says an email message couldn't be delivered, I've been getting those as well. Unforutnately, I've been getting them thru the email address I used when I registered here. There's nothing you can do to stop these scammers...they're a step or two ahead of us. But never ever click on any link in these phishing messages. They are always bad news.

Mari

WIP: Nashua Knitworks Wrap

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:27:55 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yarnlover

I've also gotten these emails from ebay and paypal - I just delete them as I know I don't have any pending sales. I've started to get emails from the "fbi" and "cia" with the subject line saying that I have been visiting restricted (I think that's the word) websites. I heard about these emails a few months ago, and I think they deliver a virus, if I remember correctly. I just delete them.

Also, a new type of email has been showing up the past few weeks. The subject line says that an email message couldn't be delivered. I got several of these one day, and none of the senders were familiar, nor were the supposed recipients. I wonder what they are trying to get from these, but again, didn't open, just deleted. My curiosity wasn't stronger than my sense of caution.

See My Stuff: Here

I got a bunch of those, too. There was a file attached that I'm sure had a virus. Delete, delete, delete.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  9:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Remember that NO legitimate business is sending you important account information via email. You shoulde delete without opening ANY unexpected email from ebay, yahoo, banks (even your own).

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  9:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
Report them. Forward a copy to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com if you get emails supposedly representing ebay or paypal.

Also, any message sent to your email will also appear in "My Messages" on ebay - if it is legitimate.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trek's blog FO: 39, WIP: 3

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:17:12 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I have received similar e-mails from e-bay and paypal. I send them to the junk file as I don't have accounts with either of them. Also several teachers receive 3-mail messages supposedly from fellow teachers and when you check with the "sending" staff member you find that they have not sent you an e-mail. We have finally realized how to tell the differences in those by looking at the sender name. It just isn't in the correct form.
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
I just got one of those "your account will be suspended by ebay" e-mails today! In the past month I have been notified by the Bank of Oklahoma that my account is in jeopardy (I'm sure it is as I do not have an account with that bank!), that I won at least 7 lotteries (pretty good luck considering that I haven't bought a lottery ticket in at least 2 years), that a sargeant found Saddam Hussein's fortune and is willing to share it with me, a perfect stranger, if I just help him get it out of Iraq (hey, call Indiana Jones - I'd rather stay home and knit), and pleas from a slew of millionaire Nigerians that need my help getting their fortunes out of the country (Why me? I guess I just have an honest face.).

I hate to think that people fall for these kinds of scams, but I guess enough do that it makes it worthwhile for the phishers to keep it up. Myself, I don't open anything unless I know who it is from.

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.