Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Favorite luxury (self made) blend
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
The other day I was sitting down & listing my (spinning) favorite luxury fiber blends. Silk/cashmere, tussah/alpaca & wool/silk/angora rabbit top my list. I have a hank of 2-ply mohair/wool/soy silk that I later dyed & it turned out gorgeous (the roving didnít look very pretty when I bought the blend).
I also bought some Merino/Tencel blend from the FFF at Montpelier past October that Iím going to spin for a shawl that I shall later weave for my grandmother. It looks so beautiful - I think Iím going to really love it...the knitted & woven samples at the vendorsí had a lovely fall.
Anyone want to talk about their favorites?

:)
http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
Tussah/fine alpaca. Softness, drape, and like spinning butter. Silk caps - beautiful shine and sheen, softness and did I say shine? 80's merino and bombyx and cashmere blend - pure luxury. Golly, I have to stop now and go spin awhile!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Pamela,
what's an "80's" blend? the merino and bombyx and cashmere blend sounds dreamy. oohh
I've never spun from silk caps. It's now on my list.

Go to Top of Page

Jim
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  08:00:48 AM  Show Profile Send Jim a Private Message
Baby Alpaca/Merino/silk tops my list of favorite blends. So smooth through the hands and with a smooth sheen that screams to be fondled in the yarn. It might even be enough to encourage me to learn to knit.
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
goodness.....reading this makes me wanna go blend some.

i;ve got one question,please.

i've never spun silk coz the tots of all the cocoon boiling upsets me. but i'm very curious about the feel of spinning this fiber. it is smooth and soft and straight and slippery? i can picture angora and 80 merino, but not silk. is it like tencel?

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  08:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Pugsweater,
now you've made me feel guilty...
Silk is wonderful to spin (in all its forms). Mulberry's different from Tussah's different from Mooga's different from Eri.
If you don't mind spinning fibers that somewhat resemble silk - you might have fun with soy silk, bamboo silk & silk latte. I've never yet spun tencel (tho i look forward to it), but it's probably easier to spin that silk I assume...
Sometimes I put a little more spin than necessary to mulberry slivers when i'm spinning & then they catch like nasty little boogers.
I think you could easily substitute silk with the tencel for the angora and 80 merino blend. hmmm now i'm thinking...

Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  5:34:41 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
Wool(polworth), angora (rabbit), alpaca, and camel down. It was wonderful to spin.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Silk latte is evil and nothing like silk, I hated it. i spun about a yard of it and then promptly gave the rest tosomeone else because I couldn't stand it. It was nothing like silk, at least to me. So far I think tencel is closest I've tried so far but there is nothing like real silk.

Merino tencel is lovely, soft, lustrous, absolutely gorgeous. So far it's the only blend I've tried but I have some alpaca/silk that I think I'm may have to spin after Christmas, I've been a bit afraid to try it yet. I guess I'm afraid that it is so gorgeous as roving and that I'm going to make a mess out of it.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Has anyone tried to blend Ingeo into anything? i've spun Ingeo by itself & it's very unfriendly unless you spin very thin slivers/rovings of it - so I strip it. Its got gorgeous luster & is VERY dense ( almost 4 oz of singles fit onto 1 bobbin!) I'm still to ply it & make something out of it. It feels soft on the bobbin.

Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:35:59 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I am curious about blending Ingeo as well. I spun Ingeo alone as a very beginner spinner...it turned out to be a very bulky single indeed in my inexperienced hands. That was a over a year and about a thousand miles on my wheel ago so I think I could manage a "normal" single at this point, although I do remember it to be a little difficult to draft. Blending it with something else sounds much more appealing to me. I'd like to hear anyone's experience with this fiber as it is very lustrous and pretty. Hey Manasi, I just bought a Charkha from you on ebay. I can't wait to try it. Happy Holidays everyone.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I've blended ingeo with Wensleydale, only running it through the carder once so that it is a little streaky. The Wensleydale is dark gray, and the ingeo is wine-colored (Bordeaux by name), and it is a really beautiful yarn. I only put about 10-15% ingeo, and it pretty much spins like wool.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Wendy,
It was you! I was wondering why 'kepkake' looked so familiar :)
You'll love the charkha. Once I get to it, I have to load a small video I took of a man spinning on the charkha on my blog (if uploading it is possible). He made it look so easy - his hands were just flying. I move along slowly - it's very addictive & peace giving. I guess that's how Gandhi managed to get millions to believe in non-violence for so long.
I would like to blend Ingeo with something - like Shelia. I can just picture the streaks & how pretty it would look. Hmmmm Just as soon as I finish plying my pure Ingeo. Getting used to spinning that caused me a little heartburn.

Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  10:10:04 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi Manasi, I received the Charkha today! You must have flown to the Post office. It is just beautiful and I can't wait to try it...thank you! I bought an instructional video from "Copper Moose" today on ebay as well as some cotton roving. I'm eager to see how this is all done. As for the Ingeo, I also have the Bordeaux color and I can imagine how pretty that would be mixed with gray. Next purchase will have to be some carders. Merry Christmas to me!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Wendy, UPS seems to be going strong despite holiday season! Awesome.
Keep us posted on the fun you have with the charkha.
Now that you've mentioned cotton roving, I think would like to blend some of the cotton I have with silk. I've worn a handwoven cotton silk blend that I'd bought from the Khadi Bhavan in Mumbai. It's out of this world. Soft with beautiful sheen.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.