Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 How many socks do you have?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  5:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
I'm just wondering if there's a point at which I should stop knitting socks because I'll have too many. How many actual pairs of self knit socks do you own, and how many are in the works? How many pairs will be enough to stop? (NEVER!)

I've got 10 pairs and about 5 sock WIPs (poor languishing single socks).

Corrina
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Corrina's Homepage  Send Corrina a Yahoo! Message Send Corrina a Private Message
I love the "idea" of knit socks. But I am a terribly unsuccessful sock knitter. I have enough yarn in my stash to make 15-20 pairs. I have successfully complete oned pair. That's right. A pair of socks, as in A beer, or well you know...

Anyhow. Currently the jaywalker pattern is kicking my butt... so I guess I better get back to it!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  7:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have been knitting socks for almost 2 years and have about two dozen pairs with no duplicates in patterns or yarns. I also have a giant rubbermaid tub filled with sock yarn and a nice collection of dpns. Socks have become my favorite knitting project and I always have a pair going even when I am working on another project. I wear them under boots and I never wear store bought socks anymore. I knit socks only on dpns and have no desire to use circs or magic loop and I always make them cuff down. That's my sock story, boring as it may be. The socks themselves are much more interesting.

I started knitting socks because of peer pressure at KR. In many, many years of knitting it had never occurred to me to knit socks or to use dpns.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  8:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
I tend to knit more socks for friends and family than for myself. I only have about 9 pairs for me and have been knitting socks for about 3 years. I'm in Dallas so socks are only necessary for about 4 months per year.

I just wore through a heel of my first pair 3 weeks ago...which kind of upsets me as they are koigu and worn rather infrequently.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  8:40:48 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Gosh, I have so many pairs of socks and like others here, I have yarn for about 15-20 other pairs. I suppose I've made at least a dozen socks for me. I'm about ready to throw out all of the store bought ones!
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  9:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
I have a friend that made so many socks that she actually used them as "art" in her home. She made shadow boxes for them and rotated them. They were fabulous!

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bag.com
www.heritagerecipe.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  05:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I have about 20 pairs and have made the same again for family and friends. Can't bring myself to do a tally of the sock yarn.... My sock knitting has gone through an evolution though - I started with plain, simple men's socks for my partner and dad, discovered self patterning yarn so knitted for myself and girlfriends - then the chaps complained that they wanted bright and funky socks too... then came the handpaints so I had long flirtation with them. Now my confidence has grown so I have branched out into lace and cables and fancy stitches so I am back with the solid colours again - and the sock collection gets ever bigger....

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

sewwhat
Chatty Knitter

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  06:31:03 AM  Show Profile Send sewwhat a Private Message
I started knitting socks three years ago after my mother died. She
was a "knitting machine" and turned out all kinds of intricate and
beautiful garments. She alway pooh-poohed socks as "a waste of time".
To escape her disdain I never made any. It sounds sort of terrible
but a few weeks after she was gone I grabbed my DPNs and started making socks like a fiend. I love doing it better than any knitting project I
ever did. Like GFTC I always knit cuff down with DPNs and have no desire to do two circs or magic loop. I'm currently on my twenty second pair and going strong. I love wearing them and get a kick out of the
looks I get when I have on a pair of my magic stripes in the wild colors. Knitting socks makes me happy. Every time I get to the end of
a pair and successfully kitchener the toes I get a thrill like no other.
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  07:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
I only have about 5 pairs. I am constantly making socks, but I only get about 3 or 4 pairs a year done. And I gift many away. My stash consists of 1 skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot. I guess I am what you'd call a consistent, but not obsessive sock knitter.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I've been knitting socks for 2 months, and so far I have 3 1/2 pairs (the half pair may remain so permanently, as that was 2 pairs ago, and I have a new 1/2 sock on the needles now.) I have knit a couple of other small projects in between, mostly out of grudging necessity (a hat to match my scarf when the weather got cold, a scarf for my father-in-law's b-day) and only in the last 2 weeks have I had the serious craving to knit something else (Rogue), which I have since gotten distracted again since I finished the last pair and cast-on for a new one (obsessed with the colorway). I also knit cuff down on dpns and have a hard time imagining wanting to knit them any other way. Of course, I am also enjoying knitting regular old stockinette or ribbed socks, too, but the sock pattern in the latest IK might change that--I do, after all, already have the perfect Koigu solid for them....

Oh, and I have enough sock yarn to knit, I don't know, maybe 30 pairs? I was obsessed with sock yarn before I ever started actually knitting them, so no, not all of that was accumulated in the last 2 months.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  10:38:43 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I knit mostly for my family, but have about 5 pairs for myself. Having too many socks is not possible, so I plan to keep knitting them even if all three of my knitting DDs start knitting them; something which is looking more likely all the time. Like Rachel, I have probably got at least 30 (more like 50) pairs of socks sitting in yarns with plans to add to the stash very soon. I share her obsession with sock yarns. I've got an obsession for alpaca and kid mohair, too, but those yarns are far, far behind the count in the stash. [:00]

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  10:41:44 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

I started knitting socks because of peer pressure at KR. In many, many years of knitting it had never occurred to me to knit socks or to use dpns.

Lol...me too! I had a pathological dislike of dpns, any needle under 3mm and all my socks were either black or white cotton.

Now I own...well, none so far, because I`ve had them snatched from me by my family as fast as I`ve knitted them! I`ve made five and a half pairs in the very short time since I started, and am currently working on a pair of little pink self striping ones for my four year old daughter. BUT the next pair due on the needles is for me. Hand painted with natural dye Australian sock wool....no-one`s getting that off me in a hurry!

I`ve got enough sock wool in the stash for eleven pairs now...not bad for a four (?) week old sock knitter! Opal, Regia and Lana Grossa. I`ve really got the sock stash bug now. It`s a really cheap way of getting stash enhancement satisfaction...yes, I know sock wool isn`t always cheap, but it`s a darn sight cheaper than a full sweater`s worth of yarn, no?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  4:31:10 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I have only two pairs, and half of one sock for the next pair, and enough yarn for one more.... I've been more interested in doing some other things. I LOVE wearing them but I only like knitting them, so I'm going to have trouble making as many as I'd really love to have. I've also made a couple pairs for the kids, which seemed more pressing as they spend more time in the snow with wet feet. Also, it is much harder to get them decent store-bought socks, especially for girls. Maybe in the new year I'll be able to make more for ME.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  4:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I have no idea!
I know I got a box of finished socks.... and when the house isn't in the complete and disgraceful disaray that is current......I could find that box...
then there are some 'waiting for heels'
I don't know how many..... maybe 3 pairs...( I will sit down then for a weekend and finish heels)
I have a pair on the needles that are cuff down... ( I KNOW!!!!!!! amazing huh, who'da thunk... but yes I CAN knit traditional socks and I do occationally when I remember to cast on enough stitches)

I have my 'emergency sock box' in the van.... does that one count?

there is a toe up in progress in the van at all times in a cleaned out baby wipe box....

you know
just in CASE...( of sock emergencies I suppose)

I believe there is a pair on the table in the living room, under all the orders that are being packed to be delivered...

and the 'computer pair'

( self explanitory that one right?)

meanwhile I am knitting a baby sweater for the yarn store and I am having boredom set in with it.
even though it IS magenta and yellow

vi~
it is too hot in the studio now to WEAR my hand knit socks...
sniff
but that's ok.....
I will wear them when I go out

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I've got maybe 15 or 16 pairs - enough to last through the week, not to mention if the laundry doesn't get done for another week. One with a hole that needs mending...and enough sock yarn stashed to keep me and my family in warm socks for years to come. Just in case there's a disaster and, um, they stop making sock yarn. You know, like you're supposed to keep a three-day supply of food and batteries in the house? Well, this is my three-year supply of sock yarn.

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  2:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
I think it's funny that most of us have more sock yarn than socks! I have enough yarn for 25-30 socks, not including non-sock-specific fingering weight yarn. But at the rate I'm going, that will last 3 years (which actually doesn't seem so bad, except I'll probably buy even more sock yarn over the next 3 years hahahaha), and I could have 100+ pairs of socks by the time I'm 40. That would be fabulous!
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:36:50 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I have a couple of dozen, all different patterns, and several pairs of house/bed socks which are mostly in the same pattern (Red and White Socks, comfy and quick to make!). They're nicely lined up by color in my dresser drawer. The way not to have them find new homes is to have the shortest feet of anyone you know! My socks would not fit anyone else in my family.

I have enough yarn for probably 8 or 10 more pairs, and enough patterns to last me for the rest of my life!

I personally don't think you should ever stop. I have different lengths, weights, colors, and still sometimes look in the drawer in the morning and don't find exactly what I need that day. Keep on knittin'!

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  3:52:34 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
I started knitting socks because one of the workshops at the KR retreat was Toe Up Socks and it sounded interesting. So I've been knitting socks for a few weeks now, and I've made three pairs so far, all cuff down- go figure! I love my dpns and am not interested at this point in circulars or Magic Loop. Stash...I think I could outfit my neighborhood in socks[:00]

~Rena~
www.music2knit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Not enough.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Zari
Chatty Knitter

133 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:16:22 AM  Show Profile Send Zari a Private Message
I've got one full sock made, its pair on hold until later today when I finish the last of the christmas presents for this side of the family. I still have a lot to learn, I know, but I'm already hooked :) How convenient that all these sweaters I've been recycling are just about fingering weight!
Go to Top of Page

ladysmithknitter
Chatty Knitter

152 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  05:25:13 AM  Show Profile Send ladysmithknitter a Private Message
I've got about 8 pairs, just finished my first pair of toe up, 2 at a time on circulars. Love using circulars, have a pair of size 1's in different colors, makes it easy to use the right needle.

Received a blue ribbon for a pair of lace socks at the Virginia State Fair.

Now I need to make Pomatomus Socks from Knitty. Tempted by some Lorna's Laces on Ebay.

Project pictures at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b338/annemarie246/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by