Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What are your new year knitting resolutions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

m11721
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  09:38:47 AM  Show Profile Send m11721 a Private Message
Make a sweater for myself (I've been making a lot for my kids and all of the family baby showers).
Try lace, probably either with a scarf or socks, to see if I like it.
After 3 pairs of cuff down socks, I want to try toe-up.
Learn to knit Continental so I can knit Fair Isle two-handed. I've been knitting English for 30 years (and I'm only 40) so it will be a challenge.

My worst stash is leftovers, 1/2 a ball of this 3/4 of a ball of that. I'd like to find a creative way to use it.
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:41:31 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
This year, I will design at least one pattern, even if it's just a scarf.

I still won't make any socks this year.

I want to make a felted bolero and pizazz it up with felting needles.
Go to Top of Page

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  11:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
In 2005 I organized my stash, inventoried it, entered it onto an excel spreadsheet including yardage and recommended gauge, took pictures of it all http://www.flickr.com/photos/38923480@N00/sets/1255764/ ,then stored it properly. I sold some I will never use, and knit up some real vintage yarns in scarf projects. I also took stock of my many vintage projects laying around (some dating back to the early 80's); frogged some,http://www.flickr.com/photos/38923480@N00/sets/838461/, gave away some, and finished some. By the end of this year I intend to have the only two really vintage projects that are left finished - just requires some seams. In 2005 I did some real serious stash enhancement too.

In 2006 I resolve to
  • finish all the projects I have on the needles right now, all of which have been started since August

• make a charity project for every personal project I finish
  • cease enhancing the stash and start enhancing the FO file

• knit an aran sweater
  • knit a lace shawl
  • plan holiday gifts during the summer, rather than in November!

Marji,
whose stash surely exceeds life expectancy
my blog: http://fiberartsafloat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:13:49 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Nice plans, and if you don't mind, I'll just copy them out and do them, too.

Seriously I'll never do a spreadsheet, even though it's the very best way to organize project materials. I do plan to do more charity knitting for a couple of causes I'm already working on. I also have a quilting cause, and a business so can these knitting project resolutions be spread out over 2006 and 7?

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lis S
Chatty Knitter

219 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lis S's Homepage  Send Lis S a Yahoo! Message Send Lis S a Private Message
1. To not have more than two projects going at the same time.
2. To use up at least 50% of my stash.
3. To not give in to starting sweaters, because I never finish them.
4. To accept that I am a sock person, and just stick to knitting them.

A

http://lisknits.typepad.com/the_world_of_lis/
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:25:42 AM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
Think about what's in my stash and use that if I can. There's a lot of things that I want to do that I actually can with the yarn I already have.

Try more - do more hard projects and intricate details. I've got cables and open work down, so let's do more with them.

Abandon fear - things often look a lot more complicated than they are, and they can always be learned and practiced.

Keep working on my big patchwork garter stitch blanket, resewing all those unsuccessful seams.

Donate things I'm never going to use or make something out of them to donate. In that vein, keep going to Afghans for Afghans.

http://knitdiva.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LuvYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:44:41 AM  Show Profile Send LuvYarn a Private Message
My goal is to start and finish the two sweaters I have yarn for.
Make a sweater for my Mom and socks that are comfortable for her problem feet.
To get though the sock yarn I have in my stash.
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
My goals are:

1. Begin and finish my daughter's lace cardigan before she decides she doesn't like it anymore.

2. Finish the Kaffe Fassett sweater that I began over a year ago, just because I'm sick of looking at it.

3. Begin the nordic sweater my son asked for and be halfway done with it by this time next year!

and my pie in the sky goal . . .

4. Design a multi-color intarsia cardigan, just to see if I can!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
I would like to knit up my bag of "leftover" yarns into items to donate to charity. I just organized my knitting closet and realized how many oddballs I have that could be used to knit up hats, scarves or blankets rather than hanging out in the bottom of my closet.
- sarah b.

http://onestitchshort.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

NursePurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  4:33:39 PM  Show Profile Send NursePurl a Private Message
I have been thinking to myself of this very topic.
1. I am going from working full time to part time Jan 9th...I need less stress and more time at home.
2. I just plain want to knit more. I usually only knit about 30 minutes a day, waiting to pick my kids up from school. If I get through all the other stuff to do on the weekend I squeeze in some knitting. My yarn just calls to me
3. I want to do more charity knitting.

Rhonda

"We cannot all do great things but we can do small things with great love" Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message
My new yrs resolution is to knit socks both of them,

Helaine in Olalla, Wa
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
Mine are to use up at least mostof the yarn I already own before buying more (yeah, right); to conquer my fear of sweaters and make at least 2 for myself in the coming year; and to learn intarsia/color knitting and perhaps fair isle.

My sassy knitting blog is here: http://www.xanga.com/RubyPlaid

Visit my crafts website: http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  11:39:13 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
Aaaaahhhhh, I love this time of year! I love goals and resolutions! So much promise to them....

1. Finish all previously started projects.
2. Use all yarn in stash that is assigned to a project.
3. Knit all gifts this year.

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  06:54:00 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Why the negative comments about Patternworks? I think they are delightful to deal with and have some things I can't find elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

baby
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  06:54:05 AM  Show Profile Send baby a Private Message
Let's see - mine would be:

1.) Finish the three projects that are knitted, but not put together. One other project needs a new crochet edging
2.) Since I have lost almost 22 pounds on WW - 1.4 to get to goal weight - I would like to knit myself a beautiful sweater. Also, knit one for my husband who supports me in every way.
3.) Do some general cleaning/organizing in my yarn room
4.) Now that I am getting into beading, but don't seem to have time/money for both hobbys - I would like to make some of those "trendy" necklaces and such. Also, incorporate beads into knitting.

That's about it!

baby

beth
Go to Top of Page

greyhound
New Pal

36 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:07:51 AM  Show Profile Send greyhound a Private Message
I have a couple of resolutions in regards to knitting:

1. Knit for myself (a bit selfish maybe)

2. Knit a sweater vest with the Union Jack flag on it - been meaning to get to this prior to traveling to England - which we plan on in 2007.

Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Sabrina
Chatty Knitter

USA
341 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sabrina's Homepage Send Sabrina a Private Message
I too, would love to finish a pair of socks. Right now, even one sock would be an improvement.
Go to Top of Page

Square Knitter
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:36:06 AM  Show Profile Send Square Knitter a Private Message
My resolutions include: knitting my first sweater; knitting my first socks, and learning learning learning. Also want to start a knitting/spinning group in my town. Then of course, excercise some restraint in buying yarn. I have a huge stash!! Happy knitting in the new year everyone!

Square Knitter
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
These are some great ideas! (I also see some common trends!) :)
Mine:
1. Continue to knit down/trade/sell my stash. Much of it I acquired in this, my first year of knitting (I started in January of 2005) and I am now looking back at it and knowing I will probably never knit with it.
2. Carefully pick out projects to put in the spreadsheet/reorganize spreadsheet. Once again, my inexperience was part of this - I am an anal list maker, so I have my excel spreadsheet of my stash as well as a project list - many of the projects I will never make, would be horribly unflattering, or just hold no interest at this time.
3. Knit more socks! I recently completed my first pair and love having them as a portable project!
4. Learn color knitting!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

cumberland68@yahoo.com

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cumberland68@yahoo.com's Homepage Send cumberland68@yahoo.com a Private Message
This is fun, gets us thinking about our expectations for the coming year.

1. Try cables
2. Get more adventurous with socks
3. Keep the spending in control
4. Be realistic about how many projects I can complete

Happy 2006!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page