Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 2 socks, 2 circs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  6:55:11 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I just can't get it going. I've done a number of socks, dps are no problem but I want to learn something new.

Recently made hats using 2 circs so that's no problem either but ...

when starting 2 socks on 2 circs, top down

- are the ball ends on the same long needle? This assumes I've cast on and closed the tube.

- When I go around, I get mixed up. The free end of the yarn is not where I think it should be. I even tried to learn it with 2 different colors to save brain power.

Any and all help would be most appreciated. I have printed out one site that is long but doesn't answer all my questions -- and the needles are not easy to tell apart. Can't tell if the working end is on the same needle to start or where??

Thanks and may your sts stay where they should be.

Margie

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Try putting some nail polish on the tips of one of the needles if you're having trouble telling them apart. See if this site helps:
http://knitflix.blogspot.com/2004/07/next-steps-for-2s2c-updated-with.html

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  04:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message
Try looking at this free online video about knitting with two circs. This site is great if you haven't used it.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

It has helped me trendously with anything new that I've tried.

There is also a "how to" on Socknitters.com--I haven't tried it yet, but that should help with questions. It also has a way to directly contact the author of the tutorial if you have questions.

http://socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
The socknitters site helped me a lot, but the descriptions are for cuff down. It does still help.
The ball ends are on one needle, the instep on the other. The first few rounds seem tangled and difficult, but after a bit they do come together. Starting off feels like wrestling an octopus, in my opinion. One thing to remember: Knit each sock with its own yarn. I almost knit my last pair together at one point. Luckily I caught it and was able to fix it without having to tink more than a few stitches. It is easy to grab the wrong strand or to keep working with the same one when you get to the next sock.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  1:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
It is a while since I worked on my socks (I have only knitted 2 on 2 circs) so I can't remember all the things I do but I do know you only work with one circ at a time. That is why it has been suggested to put nail polish on one circ to make it different. (Mind you, this always seems to rub off for me!)

After turning your work you bring the yarn to the front and work into the next stitch using the other end of the same needle. Work along to the end of the stitches for that sock, drop that ball of yarn, pick up the yarn for the next sock and work along those stitches still using the same needle. When you get to the end, turn your work, bring the yarn to the front and start again.

I always make sure that I finish working on one side of both socks before putting my work down. You could try using a safety pin to pin the two socks together after you have worked on them for a little while. This way, you will know which sock to work on next if you have put them down for a while. A little like working on two sleeves at the same time. This ensures they will both end up the same length.

Hope this helps you a little. Happy sock knitting!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  9:21:42 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the suggestions. And am still open to more!

I have no problem keeping needles straight -- it's two socks on two circs at the same time I can't do.

One sock, two circs -- fine.

Thanks for the link, but the one from Socknitters is one I have prined out and it does not answer all my questions. And, it's too late tonight to try again on them. Anyway, right now I'm making a warm hat for my brother who's coming 3000 miles to visit. He lives in a colder place than I do.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  7:03:48 PM  Show Profile Send Savitar a Private Message
I have to admit I failed at this as well. I have completed one sock with 2 circs, but just got so horribly messed up trying 2 socks. Casting on was a nightmare. After almost 2 hours & the first row messed up, I quit. I could have completed at least half of a cuff on one sock in the same time period.

Maybe I'll look at the video, but I really don't hold out much hope. I'm pretty disappointed, too, as that's why I bought doubles of sock-sized circulars!

Deon
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
This is what I do. I found trying to wrangle two cast ons was a royal pain in rump. The cast on stitches swirl around the cable and it is a real headache to get them joined without twisting. soooooooo

I cast on one sock, on a spare needle or dpns whatever you have extra of. Join, do 2 or 3 rounds of ribbing. Repeat with the second sock. Now you have something you can work with. Now lay down your two socks, with the yarn on the right hand side. Just as you would to start a round. Pick up the first circ needle.
Knit across the first sock.
Slide this sock to the end of the circ needle
Knit across the second sock.

Turn the work over
Take your second circ
Knit across the sock, and slide it to the end of the needle, out of the way
Repeat with the second sock.
There you go, two socks on two circs

Make sure your yarn is coming from BETWEEN the cables, or you will have an unintended yo.

When you are ready to turn the work around. Hold the yarn up in the air and turn the work. This helps keep the yarn from tangling so badly.
Always push the sock you have just knitted to the end of the needle, move the ball of yarn that belongs to that sock, out of the way. You are less likely to start knitting with the wrong ball of yarn, if you do this.
Put a marker, of some kind on one of the socks. Always turn the work in the direction of the marked sock. Keeps the twisting yarn down.
While knitting two socks on two circs seems clever, it is not as portable as one sock on two circs. If you are using thicker yarn, the two socks become very heavy. I am working with sports weight yarn just now, and two of those babies are just too hard on my wrists. I am knitting them at the same time but on separate sets of circs.

I usually separate the socks to do the heels. Then put them back together for the foot and toe.
It isn't hard to do, but you do need to pay attention when you first start doing this.
If you have problems mixing the needles up, stop, run your hand down the cable to the other end. Take that needle and gently pull. Does the needle at the other end move? If it does you have the correct needle in hand.
A lot of mistakes are made cause we are rushing, trying to meet impossible deadlines we set-up for ourselves. Slow down and think what is happening. "I just knit one sock, and have made sure the yarn for that sock is still between the cables, and now have pushed out of the way, so I am ready to knit the second sock"
Oh and I have made every mistake you can make knitting 2 socks on 2 circs. Wrong ball of yarn, wrong needle, twisted balls of yarn. twisted cast ons that spun around the needles like made tops. You name it, I frequently felt like I was the dumbest person in knit land. Until I started to slow down and pay close attention to what I was doing.
Some people can look at a thing and boom they are on page 20 in a few minutes. The rest of us, need a bit of time to get there. Ok I needed more then a bit more time

Have fun

Suzann

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://lostpurl.blogspot.com/

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  12:26:11 AM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Thanks -- I'll try again (and again and again and ...) but tomorrow. Too late now.

I cheated and started the tubes on dps then put them back on the circs. I have a marker on each sock on one needle which makes telling needles apart easy.

And I'm using different colors of yarn until I figure this thing out. And I shall overcome.

Just don't know when.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:50:47 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I knew I'd get it! It finally clicked last night. My DH was a bit surprised from the wild sounds coming from my knitting room which is in the room adacent to the computer room but I'm sure all of you who have struggled with something and finally had it click know what the

Whoopie!!! It works -- I can do it :-)

moment feels like.

Margie

Go to Top of Page

socknitter
Chatty Knitter

156 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile Send socknitter a Private Message
If you get into the 2s2c method, be sure to have a look at Queen Kahuna's book - it's the best reference/resource for the 2s2c method I've ever seen. Loaded with ideas, tips, tricks, alterations, etc. etc. etc. I know QK personally as we were in the same knitting guild for a time - she's like a sock machine! http://queenkahuna-creations.com/crazytoesandheelsbook.html

Lauri B.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Ok, I have to admit to my wierd thing when attempting this. I had planned to do 2s2c toe up and, having never done either 2s2c or toe up, was a bit confused by all the directions I had found online. I went to bed trying to figure it out. Then, I started dreaming about it. I woke up knowing just what I was supposed to do. Very odd. I guess my subconscious figured it out first. Now I think it is my favorite way to do circular knitting in general.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe