Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hand creams/lotions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kyrstellaine
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:43:44 AM  Show Profile Send Kyrstellaine a Private Message
I can't believe no one has mentioned Udder Cream - or is that something that only quilters use? It's greaseless, so no staining.

I haven't needed it yet with my knitting, but we used to go through gobs of it when I worked at a fabric store - the fabric seemed to just suck the moisture right out of our hands otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Autumnafternoon
Chatty Knitter

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Autumnafternoon a Yahoo! Message Send Autumnafternoon a Private Message
It's got to be Burt's Bees Shea Butter. The best I've found for winter dry skin

Irene in Modesto

He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_102v.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

baskinknits@aol.com
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile Send baskinknits@aol.com a Private Message
Utter Cream (in the green tin, they carry it everywhere) when the knitting is done. Try slathering it on at night then covering with cotton gloves. Sleep in this concoction. In the morning, the hands are totally renewed. Not very sexy. But then neither are dry, cracked hands.

Judy
Go to Top of Page

missyknittingindallas
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  12:01:10 PM  Show Profile Send missyknittingindallas a Private Message
ProTerra is absolutely the best hand cream i have ever used. it is NON greasy and makes your hands feel devine. NO MORE SNAGs! you will probably need to get it over the net:
http://www.bigordersavings.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,45/category_id,92ce006d95fcc6b5f0593363cd406855/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,28/

it is well wort ordering and this site sells it really cheap.
Go to Top of Page

andielib
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  12:01:53 PM  Show Profile Send andielib a Private Message
I have two favorites -- Neutrogena hand cream and Bath & Body Works' Glove Potion #9.
Go to Top of Page

wmsabq@charter.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  12:06:02 PM  Show Profile Send wmsabq@charter.net a Private Message
my favorite is Mary Kay Timewise Body Lotion. It absorbs so quickly you can moisturized and knit right away.
Go to Top of Page

mozelle58@hotmail.com

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  12:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send mozelle58@hotmail.com a Private Message
The Body Shop's Almond Lotion is good. So is The Thymes Mandarin Coriander Hard-Working Hand Cream. Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream is nice and compact.
Go to Top of Page

MarieSM
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  1:18:58 PM  Show Profile Send MarieSM a Private Message
Udderly Smooth Udder Cream is great
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  1:49:44 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
I use good old Vitamin E cream. I have jars in the kitchen, bathrooms and next to my knitting spots. It actually heals small abrasions.
By the way, why is this topic too wide for the computer screen?
Debra
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  2:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
Yikes, I wonder how I can shrink this screen - it is superwide on my laptop.

I used to use a moisturizer by Origins - was called Handle with Care. Fantastic and long lasting also. I thought they had discontinued that one or changed the name. But, I have found it online. :)

Yarn Delirious blog
Go to Top of Page

pbarnett@tds.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send pbarnett@tds.net a Private Message
I tend to not use creams or lotions while knitting, either. I have a tendency to get cracks in my fingers and have discovered finger crack gel with the liquid bandage stuff. I have a tin of Heal my Hands in my knitting bag and sometimes put it on my fingers. I use Aveeno mostly and also sleep in cotton gloves with Aveeno slathered on heavily.
Paula
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  2:14:55 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
My favorites are L'Occitane lavender hand cream and shea butter. I use the hand cream on a daily basis, I keep a tube of unscented hand cream also that I can use if I'm working on a gift for someone. I use the shea butter if my hands get really dry and start cracking.
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  4:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
those gloves by bliss labs are still my favorite when the hands are so dry they start to hurt.

StephanieR
Somebody get me something deep-fried and smothered in chocolate! --Fairy Godmother

http://stitchandkvetch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kaythearky
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile Send kaythearky a Private Message
A friend who is primarily a needleworker introduced me to Gloves In A Bottle. You use only a tiny bit; it is a silicone-based thing that seals in your skin's moisture. I am allergic to fragrances and essential oils (which seem to be in everything!), so this is perfect for me. -- Kay
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  07:10:58 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
Yeah, why is this topic too wide for the computer screen?

"There's a thin line between hobby & mental illness."
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
I have used plain coconut oil for my skin for years -- I put some into a small jar and keep it next to my chair and put it on my hands and arms a few times a day -- you don't need much and it soaks in great -- In fact I use it on my face and in my hair as a conditioner too.

btw - it seems to be some pages that are stretched out and others are ok -- page one and two of this thread are ok on my screen but this page goes on for miles. And I noticed a couple other pages are the same way.

rho
Go to Top of Page

LaurFS@aol.com

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  08:19:26 AM  Show Profile Send LaurFS@aol.com a Private Message
This sounds really lame, but I use the moisturizer that comes in the little square bottles at Hampton Inn. It's not greasy, has a delicate scent,the little bottles fit everywhere- purse, knitting bag, kitchen drawer... and they're free.
Go to Top of Page

angie@paulsonstudios.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:41:17 PM  Show Profile Send angie@paulsonstudios.com a Private Message
I love No Crack Hand Cream (I buy mine at Restoration Hardware, but sure it's available elsewhere). It's incredibly rich and thick, and it aborbs quickly without leaving greasy hands in its wake. I go through it like MAD during our Minnesota winters!
Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  11:46:55 PM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message
My preference is "Knitters Little Helper." Wonderful stuff, distributed by Blue Sky.

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  05:42:21 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I don't use anything on my hands when I'm actually knitting, but at night or when I'm taking a break, I use my homemade miracle.

Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub
========================
1 cup Dead Sea salt
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/8 cup safflower oil
1/8 cup jojoba oil
1/8 cup sweet almond oil
1/8 cup avocado oil
20 -25 drops essential oil*
1 - 2 tablespoons table salt

*lavender is nice, so is a mixture of peppermint and spearmint. Some essential oils are not recommended for use on the skin, so check first.
Mix all together and store in a sealed jar. Before using, stir the
mixture. Take about a teaspoon, put in your hand and rub them together
for about a minute. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Good for your
feet too.

Liz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page