Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Elann or Knitpicks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SnowPurls
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile Send SnowPurls a Private Message
I read the reviews about these two yarn lines, but still don't know which one is better for worsted weight 100% wool. My skin seems very sensitive lately, I want something not itchy, any idea?

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  3:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I do like both yarn lines. As for less itchy, I just checked one ball of each and I think the Elann is just slightly less itchy. Perhaps you could get a color card from each. Then you can see and feel the yarns before you buy them. Good luck finding what is right for you, and let us know what you decide. I'm sure it will help others to know.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  4:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
I personally like Elann much better - the colors are better, for one, and I think the yarn is softer than Wool of the Andes. The only downside is that it isn't always available.

Gail
http://www.knittergail.com
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  4:56:20 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I'd have to give the nod to Elann also but I haven't tried all of the Knitpicks yarns. Generally I think the quality is so-so. I haven't been wildly impressed with the Knitpicks yarns that I have tried although they are a good bargain if you are on a budget. I agree with Gail that Elann's colors are generally better. If your skin is sensitive though you might be better off with a merino yarn.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  6:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
On the two wool lines, Elann's got the upper hand generally.

On everything else, it varies by yarn and project - Knitpicks has plenty of yarns Elann doesn't (a wide selection of quite lovely 100% alpaca, for instance) and vice versa (other brands, many more blends, and so on).

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
There's another company offering their own line of modestly priced yarns and that's WEBS. Have any of you tried their Sugarloaf (very soft) and Berkshire (in 30 vibrant colors) merino? I've seen their entire line at Stitches East and I think that their colors and quality is far superior to Knit Picks.

--PamS
Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I can only add that Elann has great shipping...
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I think Elann has got Knit Picks beat, although I like both. Elann has way better shipping though. My biggest complaint with KP's is how slow they are.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I'm not sure when you last ordered from Knitpicks but their slow shipping from my first order last summer to more recent orders has vastly improved. I can pretty much count on receiving my package from knitpicks within a week of placing my order.

I've tried some Elann but even with a largish order that a friend and I shared, the shipping seemed high. I sure do like Knitpicks free shipping.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:07:09 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Elann. Hands down.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
My knitpicks order got here quite fast, despite my mail being awful and nothing ever getting here when it should. I was quite surprised to get my order as quick as I did. I am very happy with the shipping.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Elann - they ship overseas, even if it is expensive.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I've had really good luck with both, and am generally happy with the yarn and the prices.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

Lobolita
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lobolita's Homepage Send Lobolita a Private Message
The yarns are good for different things. For felting, I'd go with KnitPicks. The alpaca silk is also wonderful. I haven't had a chance to try out the cashmere blends yet, but all of their upper-range yarns (if $6.99 can be called upper-range) have been pretty nice. Elann is good for sheer variety, and yes, the shipping is better.

http://twowaters.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  12:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I don't know what I'd do if either company shut down; they both provide quite different lines with some (useful) overlap.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

MeezerMom
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  2:21:41 PM  Show Profile Send MeezerMom a Private Message
I've been really allergic all my life to wool (I thought) - so when I took the plunge and tried the Knitpicks Merino Style, I was ecstatic that I didn't itch. I have not ordered their WOA nor the Elann wool tho' I've sat with it in my hands at my knitting group and didn't itch! So I will be trying both...I love the other Elann products I've bought. Have not had a problem with shipping from either source.
Sal

http://www.knitnana.blogspot.com
http://nanasadierose.com/WordPress/
http://www.nanasadierose.com
>^..^<
You can't have too many cats, yarn, fabric, or sewing machines!
Go to Top of Page

HellaHelen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  4:02:16 PM  Show Profile Send HellaHelen a Private Message
I think there was an earlier incarnation of WOTA (Knitpicks) that had an odd waxy finish (in the older packaging); the latest WOTA I've received is quite pleasing. I've used Elann's Highland Wool in the past as well, and I was happy with that as well. I would say that they are roughly equivalent, though Elann has a much wider range of colors. I'm making DH a holiday sweater with WOTA right now.

What I don't like about Elann has already been mentioned here: their wool isn't always available. I don't like having to impulse buy when it does show up, nor do I like having to plan out my purchases from Elann for "someday."

Knitpicks shipping is slower than Elann's, but then again, it's free. If you want to pay for shipping from Knitpicks, I'm sure your order will arrive sooner.

Cheers,
Helen
Go to Top of Page

SnowPurls
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile Send SnowPurls a Private Message
Thank you for all your help!
I think I'm going to order from kintpicks. Elan's shipping is too expensive for me, it would cosst me over $10. Kintpicks is free, so.
Snow
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  7:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
I just received a knitpicks order--10 skeins of the Andean Silk, and I do wish it were the color of the picture. I thought it would be whiter (it's cream) and it's just a little too creamy. The yarn feels soft, thought after knitting a sweater with the Noro Cash Iroha, it doesn't seem substantial for a sweater. Time to return it--boohoo. If it were just brighter white.... (it shipped quickly, by the way).

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:53:59 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
It really depends on the project. If you need a steady source of one particular yarn, then the nod goes to Knitpicks, because all they carry is what they contract for production. If you just want enough wool for a one off project, with no care or concern for whether it's around in a week from now, Elann wins.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?