Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How to find an old pattern?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tesseraea
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  7:57:03 PM  Show Profile Send Tesseraea a Private Message
Hello!

I work for a library, and a patron is asking us to help her find an old knitting pattern from the late 1960s. She brought in a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy, which is very faded. We used the information she gave us to try to locate a microfiche of the old magazine, but I thought perhaps some knitting experts (I'm not one) could give me some pointers on tracking this kind of thing down.

The article (says the patron) is from an old Women's Day magazine from November of about 1967-69. The headline seems to say "Stockings to Knit", and the pattern is five different variations on Christmas stockings, labeled Stocking A, Stocking B, and so on to Stocking E.

If anyone has a clue about where I might find this pattern, please respond here and I will check back in a while.

Thanks!

Tess

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  9:02:53 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message
Only a sugguestion, but did you try "Googling" for it, or how about also checking with the publisher of the magazine? It could also be any from any number of ladies magazines that were being published at the time. That's the best I can suggest for right now. Keep us posted if you do find them.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Tesseraea
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  9:40:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tesseraea a Private Message
Thanks, Sue! I Googled the phrase "women's day" and "stockings to knit" and didn't find much. But I have the feeling the Women's Day angle is the part that's leading in the wrong direction!

At the bottom of the copy, you can just barely make out _____ Publications Inc. Printed in U.S.A.; and at the top it looks like it says November 19_6, and that's about it.

The patron says it's from the late 1960s, so it might be November 1966, but we really won't know until we see the microfiche!

Well, that's what we're there for, I guess. If it were me I'd just find a new pattern, but she wants to recreate the stockings her aunt made for her when she was a kid. (And I have to admit that's a pretty cute idea.)

Anyway, thanks for helping!

Tess
Go to Top of Page

Tesseraea
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send Tesseraea a Private Message
Hmm, make that "Woman's Day", I just realized one of the reasons I wasn't getting much results was that it's singular not plural. Ought to know better, working in a library!

Tess
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  04:17:38 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
You can also try ebay, sometimes people are selling old magazines, if you can't find the microfiche. For that matter, someone may have that issue on ebay and then you can figure out which issue it is and if you have the microfiche.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  05:02:11 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Those are the kind of things you find by chance when not looking...

Martha.

Good luck!

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

Paris2005
Chatty Knitter

280 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:58:00 AM  Show Profile Send Paris2005 a Private Message
Just an idea/suggestion...

Perhaps the patron could contact the publisher directly for the pattern. They may have archives that are easier to search.

Good luck and happy hunting :) !

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:07:42 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Perhaps this might help, it is a listing from the Duluth library which includes the source of 19 Christmas stocking patterns from Woman's day. I don't know how to read the library markings.

http://www.duluth.lib.mn.us/Books/HolidayBooks/ChristmasNF.html

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

Tesseraea
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  9:20:42 PM  Show Profile Send Tesseraea a Private Message
Thanks Fran, we have that book in our collection (it's cute, too, the book is actually in the shape of a stocking) ... but it's new, and this pattern is allegedly from the 1960s.

Tess
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:50:21 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
Tess,

Look at this site. The second page has 5 stockings from 1986. However, it is not Woman's Day, but Woman's Circle. The fact that it is five stockings and the year ends in a 6 was coincidental enough to point it out.

http://www.vintageknits.com/xmas2.html

Patricia in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Patricia, thanks so much what a GREAT site.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:43:18 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Tess did the site have the pattern you werre looking for?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?