Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Mitten book recommendations please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  04:54:47 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I just finished 3 pairs of fingerless mittens for Christmas gifts and now want to knit some mittens for my DS and DM in northern Wisconsin. Can anyone recommend some books?
Sharon

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  06:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I really liked the folk mittens book.....
I have a couple of mitten books..
they are all for color work mittens and I finally got that latvian mitten book, I can't wait to do some out of there.....

( mittens are just larger toe up socks with tubes for the thumb inserted instead of afterthought heels-then rib)

but I understand that the mitten book shaped like a mitten is good for starters...

vi~who is pretty sure you will get quite a few titles from other folks

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Vi,
Someone on Amazon said the mitten book shaped like a mitten was not that good. I like the sock book shaped like a sock, as it gives you step by step directions, which was helpful for my first pair. The fingerless gloves I made had a thumb with a gusset so I feel pretty confident going from there. I do have the Folk Mitten book, but was uncertain if I should jump in and do fairisle. However, they would be a lot warmer, wouldn't they? What kind of yarn do you use?
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
Personally, I love Knitting Marvelous Mittens by Schurch. The patterns are beautiful and the charts clear and easy to follow. The only problem is to choose which one of all the mittens to do first.

Another nice mitten book is Knitting Fair Isle Mittens and Gloves by Carol Rasmussen Noble. Not quite as stunning as the first one, but it also has lots of nice colour patterns.

Tina
(My blog: http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia)
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
well you can knit mittens with anything.

I last did a beaded pair with worsted.
my next pair is going to be color knitted with sock yarn.... a varigated and a solid.

so it depends..

if you need really warm ones I would knit them large and felt them...
and then make a lining for them....
I don't need really warm mittens....
so sock yarn is fine for me
( I use leather gloves for wood stacking, and also when I am out at the farm there are leather work gloves out there to use)

vi

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I went on a mitten frenzy this fall and my library of mitten knitting books grew exponentially! I think the mitten-shaped book, called Knit MIttens!, is a very good book. It is written by Robin Hansen, who wrote the very famous and out of print Fox & Geese & Fences and Flying Geese & Partiridge Feet books. Knit Mittens! gives you line by line instructions, if you need them, and is full of useful tips scattered throughout the book. I also loved how colorful her mittens are, and that many of them call for worsted weight yarns. I bought Hansen's new book -- Favorite Mittens, which reproduces and clarifies the most popular patterns from the two out of print books. Haven't made anything from it yet. I also have Zilboorg's Magnificent Mittens and Schurch's Knitting Marvelous Mittens. I have one (lone) mitten made from the Schurch book -- both Zilboorg's and Schurch's books required following a chart, which slows down my mitten production :>

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Thank you everyone! I am always looking for excuses to add to my knitting library. I am going to order all the books suggested. I do have a pair of to be felted mittens as one of my UFOs. They are going to our former exchange student in Germany, so I think they will be put to good use. Also, I thought that felting mittens for a first pair would be a good idea, as then the felting would cover up any mistakes, if any, hahaha.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4164 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
the Handy Book of Patterns has great instructions on basic mittens for any yarn and any size.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  4:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I have to say I was disappointed with the mitten instructions in the Handy Book of Patterns -- the thumb ended with a sort of blob of yarn. Someone else had the same complaint. But I did get a very cute pair of toddler-sized mittens out of the experience. My other complaint is that whenever I use one of those patterns I inevitably am working with DK weight yarn, and they offer patterns in gauges 6/in, 5/in, etc. And in fact, I realized I left out the sources for the pattern for two pairs of the mittens I did this fall -- the 2005 Knitting Pattern a Day calendar. Two great mitten patterns, one in the Chill Chasers set and one called something like Simply Elegant.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile Send Savitar a Private Message
I also like the Knit Mittens book. Actually, my daughter is the one using it, and there is a combination of simple vs. colorwork mittens. There are some errors in the book (as there seems to be in most all pattern books); the publisher's webpage isn't updated with these yet, but they responded in a few hours with all the corrections when I requested them.
Deon
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I ended up knitting really big ones and felting them
so this proves I have absolutely NO idea what the hell I am talking about

vi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe